Corbin Seat

Corbin are hard, and when they say the break in they don't. They do contour a bit but not enough to say there comfortable. I have had three and went back to stock on all of them. They do however give you a better pocket and feel good for a short ride.

Be prepared to sit back further from your stock seat unless you really express to them you want a forward seating position, and then it takes two or three returns for them to get it right. The reach to the ground will increase so if your just flat footing ask them to do a nose job on the front. They do have a great used market value if you don't like them. Just not a fan of Corbin or there customer service.

Edit::
Lash, check out this thread, best seat I've ever owned.

Review on Seth Laam Custom Seat
 
Everybody's different I guess. I read posts where someone has ridden 100 miles and thinks that's a long ride! Of course comfort is individually measured. I've put 8700 miles on Eric's CB to date, the longest trip being 2200 miles. I've found the stock seat to be excellent. My suggestion to the riders considering an expensive aftermarket seat? Spend that same money on gasoline. By the time you're done with that exercise, I'm betting your butt will be much better able to handle it.
I have a Corbin on my own bike, a 1st gen. Yamaha FZ-1. Stock seat was SO SOFT it was actually painful after about 500 miles. It's been a great seat. Yes, Corbin's are firm, but that, along with a contour that distributes your weight better, make them a really good choice to try if the stock seat's just not cutting it for you.
 
Those of you have ridden on the Corbin seats for a while...

Have you also been riding with passengers and, if so, have you gotten any feedback from their point-of-view? I've considered this seat because of the slick backrest option because of my wife but if your passengers haven't been comfortable I'd just stick with the stock seat and top-box-as-a-backrest option.
 
Not a fan of Corbin. I find them extremely hard, and a really ridiculous in-person customer service experience back in the '90s wrote them off for me permanently.
To be fair, my being tall-ish and thin-ish, and therefore having a fairly bony butt may be at least partially to blame for my "uncomfortably hard" opinion. However, I have to say that Sargent seats are incredibly comfortable right out of the box, with no need to wait for a "break-in" period to pass, and are well made, offer several "custom" options, and look fantastic. And their customer service is excellent, and extremely responsive. I've had them on everything from a Ducati 900SS to a Yamaha FZ1, and loved every one. Corbin's not even in the same class, in my opinion.
 
ss2wheels_imp said:
just go to Home Depot buy a concrete block and paint it black, a lot less money:rofl:
Actually, when it comes to quality seats and long rides, firmer seats are better. The problem with most OEM and lower quality seats is that they are made with easily compressible foam.

After a while, the foam compresses to the point where it is nearly flat as a pancake and the rider may as well be just sitting on the frame.

On my old Suzuki Intruder, going from stock to a Corbin was like night and day, for me and my passenger. We could ride much longer without butt soreness setting in.

So yes, Corbin seats are firm, but for good reason.
 
I have corbins on both of my bikes, harder works best for me, as well as being slightly wider to cup my arse. I can ride all day, can't with the softer seats.
 
Setchman_imp said:
Those of you have ridden on the Corbin seats for a while...

Have you also been riding with passengers and, if so, have you gotten any feedback from their point-of-view? I've considered this seat because of the slick backrest option because of my wife but if your passengers haven't been comfortable I'd just stick with the stock seat and top-box-as-a-backrest option.
Setch,

Yes. My passenger Renea is 5'5" and 120 lbs. She likes the Corbin a lot better than the stock seat. The Corbin passenger area is about 20% wider and 15% longer than stock so it supports more of her cute butt. She told me right off the bat that she liked it a lot better.

Chip
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
Jerry did you go down there or just order one?
My previous post was probably misleading. (I'm guilty of a bit of hyperbole from time to time.) What I should have wrote is that I am 99% certain that I am going to go with the Corbin Gunfighter & Lady when I change my seat.

I will probably go down to Hollister. (Good excuse for a ride.) I want to try it before I buy it, and it seems there are some advantages to fine tuning the order in person.

I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on a purchase because I preferred the stock Nighthawk seat over the Corbin that the previous owner put on there. When people say Corbins are hard, they do mean hard... I think I'll put the Corbin back on the Nighthawk and give it a serious test to see if I can get used to it if I really, really try.
Took the Nighthawk out for about 40 miles with the Corbin. It felt pretty good, better than I remembered. It helped that I realized I've gotten into a habit of sitting too close to the tank. The Corbin works fine when I put my butt back into the meat of the seat.

Took Black Beauty (with stock seat) out for a few miles and tried the same technique of putting my butt back into the meat of the seat. It felt better than before. I'm going to wait a while before doing anything about the seat.
 
CIP57_imp said:
Corbin are hard, and when they say the break in they don't. They do contour a bit but not enough to say there comfortable. I have had three and went back to stock on all of them. They do however give you a better pocket and feel good for a short ride.

Be prepared to sit back further from your stock seat unless you really express to them you want a forward seating position, and then it takes two or three returns for them to get it right. The reach to the ground will increase so if your just flat footing ask them to do a nose job on the front. They do have a great used market value if you don't like them. Just not a fan of Corbin or there customer service.

Edit::
Lash, check out this thread, best seat I've ever owned.

Review on Seth Laam Custom Seat
I went with the Lamm seat, nice seat, poor customer service. Pretty much built the seat he wanted to build after I sent him a photo of exactly what I wanted - which included a strap. Never sent a strap as promise, never contacted me after numerous attempt via phone and email.

The actual seat is built rather well but is only about a 5-6 hour seat for me. The Russell Day Long (on another bike) is an all day seat and probably a good two day seat if pushed that hard. :)

If anyone wants a used Laam seat, black, a wee bit higher than stock, black threads I could be talked into selling. :) It is better than stock, but at some point I think I'll move on to a different seat.
 
I hate to say this, but how can you say you care about the looks of your CB and then stick a Russell Day Long seat on it with big wings for the sides of your butt. It looks like a tractor seat. I don't care how comfortable it is. If I had one of those on my bike, I'd have to get off the bike and not look back as I walked away...and that's not going to happen. I always look back and admire it.

Of course I say that in jest, put whatever seat you like on your bike.
 
I agree, so I doubt a RDL is for the CB. It's as ugly as dog farts on the Griso, but I'm not looking at it while riding. :D

Now, even my friends have grown used to the RDL on the Griso; but for town riding I'm considering the Corbin gun fighter in brown for her. It would be nice to have a presentable seat for social occasions. I may have a local guy do a custom seat too. I have a spare seat to donate to that project.

That said, if it came down to touring on the CB, a RDL would be seriously considered. While the CB gets better mileage, the Griso and that steam engine V twin is a better road bike; IMHO. Although a buddy has me thinking about trading the Griso in for a 1400 California.
 
Rboe_imp said:
CIP57_imp said:
Corbin are hard, and when they say the break in they don't. They do contour a bit but not enough to say there comfortable. I have had three and went back to stock on all of them. They do however give you a better pocket and feel good for a short ride.

Be prepared to sit back further from your stock seat unless you really express to them you want a forward seating position, and then it takes two or three returns for them to get it right. The reach to the ground will increase so if your just flat footing ask them to do a nose job on the front. They do have a great used market value if you don't like them. Just not a fan of Corbin or there customer service.

Edit::
Lash, check out this thread, best seat I've ever owned.

Review on Seth Laam Custom Seat
I went with the Lamm seat, nice seat, poor customer service. Pretty much built the seat he wanted to build after I sent him a photo of exactly what I wanted - which included a strap. Never sent a strap as promise, never contacted me after numerous attempt via phone and email.

The actual seat is built rather well but is only about a 5-6 hour seat for me. The Russell Day Long (on another bike) is an all day seat and probably a good two day seat if pushed that hard. :)

If anyone wants a used Laam seat, black, a wee bit higher than stock, black threads I could be talked into selling. :) It is better than stock, but at some point I think I'll move on to a different seat.
I went with the Lamm seat, nice seat, poor customer service. Pretty much built the seat he wanted to build after I sent him a photo of exactly what I wanted - which included a strap. Never sent a strap as promise, never contacted me after numerous attempt via phone and email.

The actual seat is built rather well but is only about a 5-6 hour seat for me. The Russell Day Long (on another bike) is an all day seat and probably a good two day seat if pushed that hard. :)

If anyone wants a used Laam seat, black, a wee bit higher than stock, black threads I could be talked into selling. :) It is better than stock, but at some point I think I'll move on to a different seat.
My experience was Seth was the opposite, he really took the time to listen, required picture of me sitting on the bike and I had to chalk out my exact seat position. We had several phone conversation during the build and he sent picture before he shipped it back to make sure I was happy with the design.
 
Papa Weeley_imp said:
Not a fan of Corbin. I find them extremely hard, and a really ridiculous in-person customer service experience back in the '90s wrote them off for me permanently.
To be fair, my being tall-ish and thin-ish, and therefore having a fairly bony butt may be at least partially to blame for my "uncomfortably hard" opinion. However, I have to say that Sargent seats are incredibly comfortable right out of the box, with no need to wait for a "break-in" period to pass, and are well made, offer several "custom" options, and look fantastic. And their customer service is excellent, and extremely responsive. I've had them on everything from a Ducati 900SS to a Yamaha FZ1, and loved every one. Corbin's not even in the same class, in my opinion.
I like the built in backrest design on the Sargent, but didn't see one for the CB1100...is there another model that fits?
 
When it comes to Corbins, well, when it comes to butts, each is different and what is comfortable for some is a torture rack for others. Case in point, the stock Griso seat is a torture device for me. Yet a guy with a similar build, over ten years older than me, rode down from Seattle to Datil New Mexico on a stock Griso seat and said it was fine.

I think he has dead nerves. :angel:

Long winded way of saying it is very subjective and you need to test these things out for yourself.
 
Back
Top