Corbin owners, would you have it made differently?

Ollie

Been there
Thread starter
Greetings,

I searched "Corbin seat threads" but didn't come across an answer to my question.
I'm considering ordering a Corbin Lady and Gunfighter for my 2014 CB1100. I am 5'-11" with 32" inseam and need to sit a little farther back than I can on the stock seat due to the step location. Also I don't want to be any lower, if anything maybe a 1/2" or so higher than stock.
In my experience on other bikes, Corbin seat buckets are a little farther back than stock which would be perfect, but I've not sat on one for a CB1100, nor even seen one pictured beside a stock seat for comparison, so I don't know this for sure? If it's not I can request they move the bucket back 3/4"-1", but if it already is, going back another 1" would be too far. Thoughts?
Also any other changes you'd have them do were you ordering again? I don't care for the puffy ribs Corbin now stitches in to their seats and would prefer just plain like Corbins of old. I don't know if they can change that but I'll ask. TIA
 
Thread starter
Yes if I were closer to Cali I'd ride to Corbin's facility and have it custom fitted to me.
 
Here's my little story, the seat is a little higher but is narrower in the front so standing on the ground at a stop is easy.
I can also move front and aft comfortably on it but seem to "settle" mostly in the middle during a ride, i weigh 85 kg/ 1.85 m.
My impression is that Corbin is buildt for the larger figure and the "channels" were a big improvement for me.
The foam itself will never wear in ( believe me i tried and it's a myth ) but the leather will and i loosened the leather cover tension to be more plyable in it's shape, i saw that in another video and it helped to make it feel softer and "worn in"


And even though i altered the front part it still rubs against the fueltank so i put clear tape on the tank to protect the paint, you don't need any softness between the seat and the tank, in fact i removed some resin from the base but i should have removed some more, easy to check by moving a sheet of paper in between the seat and the fueltank.
There should be no contact at all even when you sit down on the bike.

Also put some spacers under the front rubber supports for a better fit;


and i removed and bent the locking lug in a vise so it is more aft and away from the tank;

 
Thread starter
max_imp said:
Here's my little story, the seat is a little higher but is narrower in the front so standing on the ground at a stop is easy.
I can also move front and aft comfortably on it but seem to "settle" mostly in the middle during a ride, i weigh 85 kg/ 1.85 m.
My impression is that Corbin is buildt for the larger figure and the "channels" were a big improvement for me.
The foam itself will never wear in ( believe me i tried and it's a myth ) but the leather will and i loosened the leather cover tension to be more plyable in it's shape, i saw that in another video and it helped to make it feel softer and "worn in"


And even though i altered the front part it still rubs against the fueltank so i put clear tape on the tank to protect the paint, you don't need any softness between the seat and the tank, in fact i removed some resin from the base but i should have removed some more, easy to check by moving a sheet of paper in between the seat and the fueltank.
There should be no contact at all even when you sit down on the bike.

Also put some spacers under the front rubber supports for a better fit;


and i removed and bent the locking lug in a vise so it is more aft and away from the tank;
Thanks Max we are about the same height. The fact you can move aft comfortably is what I'm unable to accomplish on the stock seat. And you didn't mention that you wished the riders bucket would have been more rearward or forward, so I take it you wouldn't change anything if reordering one. (Fitment issue aside)
 
@Ollie, Before you go on a spending spree at Corbin’s, go to the threads under “seat time”, and read an older thread called “imagine a seat”. I think it does exactly what you need, if you are willing to ... play. This idea lets you experiment with different configs at a fraction of the price, and later you can still go for sth else.
Just my 2 cents ...
 
Ollie have you watched the video? i build up the seat with blue layers of foam which put the back forward by 1,5 inches and also lifted the seat just in front of it by 1/2 inch so it would fill in the deepest part of the seat, that and the channels relieved the pressure on my bones ( as if sitting on a toilet seat ).

A lot of customers have the bucket filled in forward like me, they do it all the time at Corbin.

The sitting position was good if i traveled at 100 km/h but too far back at lower speeds to be comfortable and the bucket was trying to seat me all the way back so i filled it in by 1/2 inch to stop that.

So the complete list of changes is;
moved 1,5 inch forward, moved 1/2 inch higher in the back, shaped the channels, loosened the leather cover, reshaped the front of the polyester body, add spacers to the front supports, changed the locking lug, put clear tape on the tank.
 
Thread starter
Max no I didn't watch your video, but I have now thank you. I'm wondering how much further back the bucket is on the Corbin solo seat than the 2-up, Lady and Gunfighter? You needed to move it forward 1.5". Maybe I'll contact Corbin and ask? I guess if you were getting the 2-up you'd request the riders bucket be 1.5" forward of where it is on the solo, with the bucket (center) mostly filled.

edit: I spoke with Corbin and the solo Gunfighter is 15" deep, Gunfighter and Lady is 14", so that depth should be about right for me. They can build up the riders bucket 1/2" in the deepest to "flatten" it somewhat.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Greetings,

I searched "Corbin seat threads" but didn't come across an answer to my question.
I'm considering ordering a Corbin Lady and Gunfighter for my 2014 CB1100. I am 5'-11" with 32" inseam and need to sit a little farther back than I can on the stock seat due to the step location. Also I don't want to be any lower, if anything maybe a 1/2" or so higher than stock.
In my experience on other bikes, Corbin seat buckets are a little farther back than stock which would be perfect, but I've not sat on one for a CB1100, nor even seen one pictured beside a stock seat for comparison, so I don't know this for sure? If it's not I can request they move the bucket back 3/4"-1", but if it already is, going back another 1" would be too far. Thoughts?
Also any other changes you'd have them do were you ordering again? I don't care for the puffy ribs Corbin now stitches in to their seats and would prefer just plain like Corbins of old. I don't know if they can change that but I'll ask. TIA
Just got my lady gunfighter seat and yes it does sit back a little further but if you want more of a custom fit you should go there to get it to fit your size. I couldn’t because I live in PA but the seat is very comfy compared to oem. Only thing I didn’t like was the quality control of their seats, like the other member mentioned I had to bend the rear tab to even get the seat to click into place and also for the rear backrest the hole drilled was way off location and I don’t understand how they didn’t even check it or install it before sending it to me. I do like the seat but I just expected better quality control for a $900 seat.
 
Thread starter
Glad you confirmed that the gunfighter and lady sits you back a little, so an inch less than the solo gunfighter. I just ordered one with the modification to raise the bottom of the bucket a half inch or so to flatten the bucket as Max advised. $680 shipped. Fingers crossed.
 
Ollie_imp said:
Glad you confirmed that the gunfighter and lady sits you back a little, so an inch less than the solo gunfighter. I just ordered one with the modification to raise the bottom of the bucket a half inch or so to flatten the bucket as Max advised. $680 shipped. Fingers crossed.
Good luck! And I forgot to mention I am 6’3” with 34” inseam.
 
My 2014 Standard had a Corbin installed...for rider and passenger. The bolster is several inches farther back than I would prefer. I find myself scooching forward a little while riding to be more upright. Asked Corbin if the make any modification to move the bolster closer to the tank. They don't.




gretle_2.0_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Glad you confirmed that the gunfighter and lady sits you back a little, so an inch less than the solo gunfighter. I just ordered one with the modification to raise the bottom of the bucket a half inch or so to flatten the bucket as Max advised. $680 shipped. Fingers crossed.
Good luck! And I forgot to mention I am 6’3” with 34” inseam.
Good luck! And I forgot to mention I am 6’3” with 34” inseam.
 
I have a Chip Beck spec Corbin seat on my 2017 EX and it has transformed the bike for me. I am 5'8" tall with a 30 inch inseam and I found the stock seat to peg distance too tight and the pegs too high and far back. The Corbin improved this subtlety, but it made a huge difference for me. Plus, I find it so much more comfortable to sit on than the stock seat. It does not improve the looks of the bike, but the Chip Beck spec is about as plan as it gets, which is a good thing to me.
 
Thread starter
Wagonpeddler_imp said:
My 2014 Standard had a Corbin installed...for rider and passenger. The bolster is several inches farther back than I would prefer. I find myself scooching forward a little while riding to be more upright. Asked Corbin if the make any modification to move the bolster closer to the tank. They don't.




gretle_2.0_imp said:
Ollie_imp said:
Glad you confirmed that the gunfighter and lady sits you back a little, so an inch less than the solo gunfighter. I just ordered one with the modification to raise the bottom of the bucket a half inch or so to flatten the bucket as Max advised. $680 shipped. Fingers crossed.
Good luck! And I forgot to mention I am 6’3” with 34” inseam.
Good luck! And I forgot to mention I am 6’3” with 34” inseam.
Uh oh the bucket in the double seat is several inches too far back? On the stock seat I feel that I need to go back another inch or so but not 3, shoot.

What is a "Chip Beck" Corbin seat?
 
Thread starter
OK I did a search and found his post on the Corbin he ordered. I'll try to change my order to what he had.
 
Thread starter
Update. I called "Andrew" at Corbin, he said they couldn't (weren't allowed) to access someone else's order but that he'd be happy to make the changes of deleting the backrest hardware, flap, and stitching, while leaving my request to flatten the bucket. Below is the acknowledgement from Corbin. So I'll see when it arrives in 5 weeks or so......


remove backrest hardrest hardware
2 Raise back portion of seating area 1/2
inch to eliminate the "bucket" feel
3 customer wants a more flattened seat
4
5 H-CB11-13GL Gunfighter & Lady, Honda CB 1100 1 $618.00 EA $618.00
6 CVR-GNL Cover Design 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
7 SEAT-BLKV Black Vinyl seating #05 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
8 STITCH-NONE No Stitch Pattern in seating 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
9 THREAD-BLK Black Thread #402 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
10 SIDE-ASPHALT Asphalt Vinyl sides 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
11 WELT-NONE No Welts 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
12 LOGO-BLK LOGO- Black Thread #402 1 $0.00 EA $0.00
13
14 SHIP Freight 52 $1.00 EA $52.00
 
I have a stock Gunfighter and Lady on a 2014 DLX that has bar risers/barbacks. I am 5-10 with 30 inseam. Seating position is very good. I am fond of Corbin seats, I have had 4 of them and presently have 2. As I like to say, they fit my butt. I know Mike Corbin, he is a great guy and they will customize your seat any way you want it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Raceman I'm looking forward to it arriving.
Way back I looked at a leftover new CB1100, I'd ridden to the dealership on a 2000 CB750 Nighthawk with a Corbin seat and that bike was roomy and very comfortable. When I sat on the CB1100 it felt a little tight (pegs too high and seat forcing me too close to the tank and bars) so I didn't even talk price. I did like the looks and finish, the fact it had FI, and the more powerful engine. I eventually sold the Nighthawk which I later regretted, so last year started looking for a nice Nighthawk or CB1100 (knowing I'd have to factor in a seat for either one) so ordering this Corbin was expected. I have a similar Gunfighter and Lady on my 2016 R1200RS which made a big improvement.
 
Back
Top