Coolest place you've ever ridden to

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
my wife and I love riding motorcycles to cool places. It would be hard to pick one place or road as the coolest we've ever been to, but I am going to say riding over Beartooth Highway between Montana and Wyoming, was one of the coolest. I think it is numbered Rt 212, about 70 miles of sheer rugged mountainous beauty full of vertical switchbacks huge elevation changes and it leads in Yellowstone Natl Park. The day my wife and I rode it it was so hot down low we had our jackets strapped atop the trunk. About 1/2 way up, we pulled over to put our jackets back on and there was snow all around us. The jagged peaks reminded me of the Alps we had seen in Europe. The biggest difference is we were able to see this spectacle without flying for 1/2 a day in a plane, to a country that we don't speak the language, then have to take a train ride, then rent a motorcycle. We were able to ride to it straight from our front door. Well, We live in Ohio, it wasn't exactly straight from the front door. It was like 1700 miles from the front door... But believe me, it was well worth the trip.


[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCN0773.jpg.html]


Tell me a cool place or road you have ridden.
 
I didn't actually ride until I got there, but a few years ago, I impulsively booked a flight to Costa Rica, reserved a motorcycle, and was there a few days later. When I got there reality set in and I asked myself 'what the hell have you gotten yourself into this time?' It turned out to be the best solo trip I've ever taken. I pretty much circumnavigated the whole country, stayed in a different hut every night for a week, rode mountains, jungles, coastlines, got lost a few times (even that was fun), drank beer every night and smoked Cuban cigars. I was able to get around the language barrier using just hand signals and a fake french accent. I figured if I pissed anyone off, they would blame the French. :D

They forgot to give me the panniers as promised so I had to strap my carry-on to the bike. You can see it in this photo: :s



[url=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/cyrenus/media/5462576338_81fbe19cd5_o_zps3af3d0d2.jpg.html]
 
Thread starter
Dang.. Now that's cool. You are much more adventurous than I am. Wow.
 
The ferret_imp said:
my wife and I love riding motorcycles to cool places. It would be hard to pick one place or road as the coolest we've ever been to, but I am going to say riding over Beartooth Highway between Montana and Wyoming, was one of the coolest. I think it is numbered Rt 212, about 70 miles of sheer rugged mountainous beauty full of vertical switchbacks huge elevation changes and it leads in Yellowstone Natl Park. The day my wife and I rode it it was so hot down low we had our jackets strapped atop the trunk. About 1/2 way up, we pulled over to put our jackets back on and there was snow all around us. The jagged peaks reminded me of the Alps we had seen in Europe. The biggest difference is we were able to see this spectacle without flying for 1/2 a day in a plane, to a country that we don't speak the language, then have to take a train ride, then rent a motorcycle. We were able to ride to it straight from our front door. Well, We live in Ohio, it wasn't exactly straight from the front door. It was like 1700 miles from the front door... But believe me, it was well worth the trip.


[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/theferret111/media/DSCN0773.jpg.html]


Tell me a cool place or road you have ridden.


Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, NY, Pa. Mass. Conn. NJ, Pa. Oh. Va. W.va. Maryland, NC. SC, Tn, Ga. Fl. Al, Az. Miss. Ark. La. IN. Mich. Wyoming, Montana, Wash. Ore. Cal. Colorado, Tx. Idaho

Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Germany, France, Grand Cayman, and Mexico,

All good as I was on two wheels.
 
Thread starter
Scoobynut_imp said:
BTW, Ferret, I go out to the Beartooths almost every summer for the Beartooth Beemer rally held every August. It's a BMW rally, but everyone is welcome. Here's the web address if anyone is interested:

Beartooth Beemers - BMW MOA Club #303
Scoob.. we stayed in a neat little B&B at the base of the Beartooth in Red Lodge and ate at the little all you can eat Pizza place down on Main St. Very cool place for a rally!.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Scoobynut_imp said:
BTW, Ferret, I go out to the Beartooths almost every summer for the Beartooth Beemer rally held every August. It's a BMW rally, but everyone is welcome. Here's the web address if anyone is interested:

Beartooth Beemers - BMW MOA Club #303
Scoob.. we stayed in a neat little B&B at the base of the Beartooth in Red Lodge and ate at the little all you can eat Pizza place down on Main St. Very cool place for a rally!.
Scoob.. we stayed in a neat little B&B at the base of the Beartooth in Red Lodge and ate at the little all you can eat Pizza place down on Main St. Very cool place for a rally!.
They hold the rally at the Lions youth camp near the base of the mountains, it's a very cool setting surrounded by evergreens and a roaring river. There's a mess hall where they make breakfast and dinner for all the riders. They even bring in a band and a beer truck from the local brewery. There's usually about 140 bikes that show up, kind of an older crowd, which suits me just fine as there's nobody raising hell at all hours of the night like you'd get in Sturgis.
 
I have been to many places on two wheels. It is an addiction I tell ya. But there is one place I will never forget. Not for the scenery but who was there. I was on The Cassier Hwy in Northern B.C. July 2008. BC has these "red post" campsites? You see the red post on the highway and follow a two track to a remote campsite.
I found one on The Dease River and I was the only one there.

293dad9c864947a8f26de913e5d71008.jpg


This was going to be my supper the flask was full Rum:

205dc3bdd43f7d4d5aa6ae88a81143dd.jpg


Got the tent set up and a half hour layer here comes a pickup camper and an older lady with a German accent asked if it was OK if she and her hubby camped there. I said sure why not? She smiled and said "I see what your are eating so we will feed you in 1 hour"

What an evening. She made Caribou sausage over noodles.

b46ceafbc239284a8b4d0e81ab320620.jpg


She was an English teacher from Germany and her husband was much older he said he was 86 years old. He did not speak a lick of English.
He was a card carrying Nazi. We talked about his WWII exploits. Before the war he was a farmer and when Hitler came to power he lost the farm and had to go work in a factory. They loved loved loved Hitler. And he claimed it was our fault. We Americans had them so beat down after WWI they needed Hitler to "bring us back". I asked him what did he do for the war effort and I quote "I kilt Jews" unquote.
I said how? And he made a motion with his hands of turning a valve.

Now this cheesehead figured this is gonna get interesting. We had already drank all his beer and we were working on my Rum. I started to argue just a little and his wife was getting uncomfortable. I said how could you as a young man just kill people for no reason?

He got up I thought he was coming for me be he was actually just reaching above his cupboard for a book his wife was reading to him. The book was Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Where us Americans killed about 180 Indian women and children. He throws the book at me "I kilt Jews you kilt Indians whats the difference"

I knew this discussion was going nowhere so we just go flat out drunk and got along good the rest of the evening. Before I crawled bck to my tent I took his picture.

07154a4db6487b8b82d0a1c8b8a9d177.jpg


Next morning I am breaking camp early his wife come over bawling her eyes out. Heavy sobbing wheezing I could tell she been crying awhile. I said what what what?

She says "your camera" I said yes? "Do you know how many people would love and have tried to kill my husband"?
Whoa this is getting heavy right here right now

So I get the camera scroll to his picture and showed her how to delete it. I wanted her do it so she knew it was done. After she did just that she smiled and planted a big German smooch right on my lips!

As I went by their rig on the way out he came out we shook hands and I gave him my copy of The Milepost because they were heading north and I was going south.

I will never forget the night on The Dease River in Northern BC getting drunk with an honest to God Nazi
 
Wow, quite a story, Ole. I would've been tempted to keep the picture, but who knows what kind of mayhem that would've brought from Nazi boy. Hard to believe someone could be that unrepentant after all those years, but I guess some people are true believers to the end. Oh, and I think we need to talk about your diet.
 
Thread starter
Wow Ole' that is wild.

When Di and I went to Germany we visited Dachau. One of the worst experiences of my life.
 
Well, I have nothing to compare to the stories presented or the grandeur of the places already talked about, but I suppose my favorite ride in my short motorcycling career was a weekend spent in Galena, IL with my riding friends and carving up, to the extent I carve anything up, Blackjack Rd and Stagecoach Trail on my CBR250r. I've spent my whole life in Illinois and never been on those roads before. Theyre not terribly technical, but fun enough for this old fat guy and the scenery was beautiful.

We're heading down to North Carolina this spring and I have the sneaky suspicion that I will be able to add a new favorite or two to this thread when I return.
 
My favorite place to ride has always been the Texas Hill Country. We spent two weeks exploring the area in 2009. The "Three Sisters" is my favorite, composed of Ranch Roads 335, 336 and 337.
The Three Sisters (AKA The Twisted Sisters)- Ranch Roads 335, 336,337a

There is also the "Willow City Loop" north of Fredericksburg and the "Old #9 Road" north of Comfort which ends near Luckenbach.

There is a fine motorcycle museum in Vanderpool on the Three Sisters that is a must see.
 
I haven't done any touring and my riding history in general really isn't much to speak of. But I'd honestly have to say that the coolest place I've ridden was around my own neighborhood here in Portland right after I got my Hawk GT running and mobile for the first time after purchasing it. I hadn't ridden "out on my own" in over 25 years or so and it was the first time ever that I had ridden out on the street. (I had taken the MSF course some time before then in the relative safety of the local community college parking lot.) It was a very emotional experience for me. Man, I felt like a kid all over again. While it doesn't compare to things like getting married (to my awesome ex-girlfriend :D) or watching my son being born, getting back on a bike again after all of that time was one of the coolest experiences of my adult life. That in itself makes the place where I took my first "return ride" one of the coolest places I'll ever ride. That and the school parking lot across the street from the house I grew up in Illinois where I rode our Honda Z50 for the very first time after watching my dad mess around with his own bikes for as long as I could remember.

By the way ferret, I too visited Dachau when I was over in Germany. That place left me feeling overwhelmingly mentally sick.
 
Ole_imp said:
I have been to many places on two wheels. It is an addiction I tell ya. But there is one place I will never forget. Not for the scenery but who was there. I was on The Cassier Hwy in Northern B.C. July 2008. BC has these "red post" campsites? You see the red post on the highway and follow a two track to a remote campsite.
I found one on The Dease River and I was the only one there.

293dad9c864947a8f26de913e5d71008.jpg


This was going to be my supper the flask was full Rum:

205dc3bdd43f7d4d5aa6ae88a81143dd.jpg


Got the tent set up and a half hour layer here comes a pickup camper and an older lady with a German accent asked if it was OK if she and her hubby camped there. I said sure why not? She smiled and said "I see what your are eating so we will feed you in 1 hour"

What an evening. She made Caribou sausage over noodles.

b46ceafbc239284a8b4d0e81ab320620.jpg


She was an English teacher from Germany and her husband was much older he said he was 86 years old. He did not speak a lick of English.
He was a card carrying Nazi. We talked about his WWII exploits. Before the war he was a farmer and when Hitler came to power he lost the farm and had to go work in a factory. They loved loved loved Hitler. And he claimed it was our fault. We Americans had them so beat down after WWI they needed Hitler to "bring us back". I asked him what did he do for the war effort and I quote "I kilt Jews" unquote.
I said how? And he made a motion with his hands of turning a valve.

Now this cheesehead figured this is gonna get interesting. We had already drank all his beer and we were working on my Rum. I started to argue just a little and his wife was getting uncomfortable. I said how could you as a young man just kill people for no reason?

He got up I thought he was coming for me be he was actually just reaching above his cupboard for a book his wife was reading to him. The book was Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Where us Americans killed about 180 Indian women and children. He throws the book at me "I kilt Jews you kilt Indians whats the difference"

I knew this discussion was going nowhere so we just go flat out drunk and got along good the rest of the evening. Before I crawled bck to my tent I took his picture.

07154a4db6487b8b82d0a1c8b8a9d177.jpg


Next morning I am breaking camp early his wife come over bawling her eyes out. Heavy sobbing wheezing I could tell she been crying awhile. I said what what what?

She says "your camera" I said yes? "Do you know how many people would love and have tried to kill my husband"?
Whoa this is getting heavy right here right now

So I get the camera scroll to his picture and showed her how to delete it. I wanted her do it so she knew it was done. After she did just that she smiled and planted a big German smooch right on my lips!

As I went by their rig on the way out he came out we shook hands and I gave him my copy of The Milepost because they were heading north and I was going south.

I will never forget the night on The Dease River in Northern BC getting drunk with an honest to God Nazi
I can't help to believe that the honest to god Nazi was about to kill you. He agreed not, only if you deleted his picture. That explains the heavy sobbing from the lady, and the sign of relief celebrated by a kiss. You should never forget that night on the dease river in northern bc in July 2008. That could have been your last.
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the read.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free
 
SanPete_imp said:
Ole_imp said:
I have been to many places on two wheels. It is an addiction I tell ya. But there is one place I will never forget. Not for the scenery but who was there. I was on The Cassier Hwy in Northern B.C. July 2008. BC has these "red post" campsites? You see the red post on the highway and follow a two track to a remote campsite.
I found one on The Dease River and I was the only one there.

293dad9c864947a8f26de913e5d71008.jpg


This was going to be my supper the flask was full Rum:

205dc3bdd43f7d4d5aa6ae88a81143dd.jpg


Got the tent set up and a half hour layer here comes a pickup camper and an older lady with a German accent asked if it was OK if she and her hubby camped there. I said sure why not? She smiled and said "I see what your are eating so we will feed you in 1 hour"

What an evening. She made Caribou sausage over noodles.

b46ceafbc239284a8b4d0e81ab320620.jpg


She was an English teacher from Germany and her husband was much older he said he was 86 years old. He did not speak a lick of English.
He was a card carrying Nazi. We talked about his WWII exploits. Before the war he was a farmer and when Hitler came to power he lost the farm and had to go work in a factory. They loved loved loved Hitler. And he claimed it was our fault. We Americans had them so beat down after WWI they needed Hitler to "bring us back". I asked him what did he do for the war effort and I quote "I kilt Jews" unquote.
I said how? And he made a motion with his hands of turning a valve.

Now this cheesehead figured this is gonna get interesting. We had already drank all his beer and we were working on my Rum. I started to argue just a little and his wife was getting uncomfortable. I said how could you as a young man just kill people for no reason?

He got up I thought he was coming for me be he was actually just reaching above his cupboard for a book his wife was reading to him. The book was Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. Where us Americans killed about 180 Indian women and children. He throws the book at me "I kilt Jews you kilt Indians whats the difference"

I knew this discussion was going nowhere so we just go flat out drunk and got along good the rest of the evening. Before I crawled bck to my tent I took his picture.

07154a4db6487b8b82d0a1c8b8a9d177.jpg


Next morning I am breaking camp early his wife come over bawling her eyes out. Heavy sobbing wheezing I could tell she been crying awhile. I said what what what?

She says "your camera" I said yes? "Do you know how many people would love and have tried to kill my husband"?
Whoa this is getting heavy right here right now

So I get the camera scroll to his picture and showed her how to delete it. I wanted her do it so she knew it was done. After she did just that she smiled and planted a big German smooch right on my lips!

As I went by their rig on the way out he came out we shook hands and I gave him my copy of The Milepost because they were heading north and I was going south.

I will never forget the night on The Dease River in Northern BC getting drunk with an honest to God Nazi
I can't help to believe that the honest to god Nazi was about to kill you. He agreed not, only if you deleted his picture. That explains the heavy sobbing from the lady, and the sign of relief celebrated by a kiss. You should never forget that night on the dease river in northern bc in July 2008. That could have been your last.
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the read.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk now Free

nail meet hammer

that thought has passed through my cheesehead brain many times since then
what I can't figure out and never will is why he agreed to me taking his picture in the first place
however, we were on a pretty good bender:beerchug:
perhaps it was the alcohol and after he sobered up he sent his wife over
don't know
 
Thread starter
Guth, I understand completely. Hey it doesn't have to be exotic to be cool. There is a road 10 minutes from my house. It's called St Rt 743. It is only 8 miles long. When I was working when i'd get home from work, I'd grab one of the bikes and hit that road EVERY DAY. It is such a cool road imo. What I call a rhythm road. Nice, not too technical left, right, left with elevation changes from the crest of the second ridge from the river up and over the first ridge and down to the river. If you do it just right..just the right speed, you don't have to touch your brakes until you get to the river. Just a very cool road. This is the first road I hit when I got my new CB ( notice the temp tag). This was taken March 29 last year the day I picked it up, on 743 down by the river



If I get to lead Empty Sea and his group for a day, we are riding this road on our way to the Ferry across the Ohio.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Guth, I understand completely. Hey it doesn't have to be exotic to be cool. There is a road 10 minutes from my house. It's called St Rt 743. It is only 8 miles long. When I was working when i'd get home from work, I'd grab one of the bikes and hit that road EVERY DAY. It is such a cool road imo. What I call a rhythm road. Nice, not too technical left, right, left with elevation changes from the crest of the second ridge from the river up and over the first ridge and down to the river. If you do it just right..just the right speed, you don't have to touch your brakes until you get to the river. Just a very cool road. This is the first road I hit when I got my new CB ( notice the temp tag). This was taken March 29 last year the day I picked it up, on 743 down by the river



If I get to lead Empty Sea and his group for a day, we are riding this road on our way to the Ferry across the Ohio.

A very good point you and others here have made. Sometimes the best ride is the one you happen to be on at that moment in time. And, after this winter most of us have had, it will feel exotic enough to just get out on the bike for the pure enjoyment of it.
 
Thread starter
Right on Scooby..and guess which is the first road I'm hitting with the new one? Right! I turn it from an 8 mile road to a 16 mile road or a 24 mile road by cleverly pulling U turns at the top or bottom lol
 
Back
Top