Convert

Southwend

Running like a top
Thread starter
I was one of those annoying people that would laugh at the 'rice burners'. Many years ago while I was replacing lost parts and oil in my good old 78 HD cafe racer, my roommate would calmly turn the key on his 750 k and off he'd go, no drama. Finally this year on my way to test the Honda I thought of all the trouble free Toyotas I have owned and thought, since I have so much respect for the Japanese engineered car, why not the Honda CB 1100 motorcycle.
725 miles in on the first UJM of my life and I can only say that I officially take back every crappy thing I have ever said about the motorcycles from the land of the rising sun!
This bike has single handedly re-invigorated my enjoyment of the motorcycle.
 
Yea baby! That's what we like to hear. :thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Yea baby! That's what we like to hear. :thumbsup:
Confession is good for the soul, I was a Easy Rider reading HD breathing two jug thug.
I'm gonna run out to the garage and apologize to the Honda too, what they hey I'm on a roll!
I even have a license plate on the way to celebrate my conversion, that's why I needed photo info so the image can be under my name. wow....this is good cool aid!
 
Usually the things that hold us back the most are preconceptions and prejudices. Loose those and the world is very big and exciting.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Usually the things that hold us back the most are preconceptions and prejudices. Loose those and the world is very big and exciting.
I guess the days of carrying a vise grip for when my shifter fell off are over as well. When some scribe described the Honda as so reliable it is boring I remember thinking "and this is bad because......."
I was just about ready to stop riding. I look for excuses now. I would love to squeeze the rally in I am about one county away from NC, 45 minutes from the Kerr.
 
You should try and make it for at least 1 day.

How far are you from Monterey Va? We eat at the Mountain Hideaway whenever we are down that way.
 
I'm guessing that I could manage to find something to enjoy in almost any motorcycle. Riding in of itself is just such a great experience. There is nothing else like it. Of course, I do find riding the CB1100 to be rather blissful.

But since it seems that we are in full confession mode here on this thread...

if I were actually able to dial back time to the very first time I went for a ride on my own (on a Z50 Mini Trail) I'm guessing that almost no riding experience since that point in time could match that very first experience. That was a life-changing event that connected with me in a very deep emotional way. I would never be the same after that ride. I was probably around 9 years old at the time and I would continue riding for another 9 years before I stopped riding. But like I said, that one day truly changed my life and I'd never forget it. I returned to riding 8 years ago. Hoping back on a bike to go for a ride (in my 40s at the time) probably felt almost like riding that little Z50.

I don't really regret not riding for all of those years in between. In my case, it was probably the wisest choice I could have made. But I am thrilled to be riding once again, and I can still relate to the very first ride almost every time I head out for a ride (now well over four decades after that very first ride). While most of my riding experience has happened aboard Hondas, I'm sure that I'd feel the same way had I been on most any other brand. But I must admit that I have a certain affinity for Hondas as they were such a big part of my childhood.

I'm guessing that most here can relate to this and have a similar story that occurred at some point in their life. Many of you would never stop riding, while others took a break from it like I did. But as I've said before when it comes to going for a ride just for the sake of going for a ride, it is really hard to beat riding a CB1100. What a great bike.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
You should try and make it for at least 1 day.

How far are you from Monterey Va? We eat at the Mountain Hideaway whenever we are down that way.
3-4 hours guess. I have never been always wanted to go. Highland County I think they have a maple syrup festival as well. Bet it is lovely.
 
Great riding roads over there, perfect for the CB. It's worth a trip.
 
Thread starter
Amen, Guth. A mini bike for me, then Harley then long lay off. triumph the CB. The Honda engineers nailed it. Just a happy ride through the cherry blossoms.
 
I love them all. I'll always have my Triumph and my CB, but I plan to one day get another Harley, and a Ducati, and an Indian.
 
southwend_imp said:
I was one of those annoying people that would laugh at the 'rice burners'. Many years ago while I was replacing lost parts and oil in my good old 78 HD cafe racer, my roommate would calmly turn the key on his 750 k and off he'd go, no drama. Finally this year on my way to test the Honda I thought of all the trouble free Toyotas I have owned and thought, since I have so much respect for the Japanese engineered car, why not the Honda CB 1100 motorcycle.
725 miles in on the first UJM of my life and I can only say that I officially take back every crappy thing I have ever said about the motorcycles from the land of the rising sun!
This bike has single handedly re-invigorated my enjoyment of the motorcycle.
XLCR? still have it?
 
Thread starter
I bought it for 2600.00 back in the 80's a few years and after several prematurely retired guardian angels later I sold it for a 200.00 profit!
FINANCIAL GENIUS 200.00 PROFIT!
My motor head friends love to remind me that it's clone is out in the Peterson museum, on display. That was a very interesting bike, I rode like it was stolen and thought nothing of using it to commute or take a long trips on. It was a noisy vibrating oil drinking beast and I loved it dearly. It excelled on big long sweeping curves, changing direction not so much. It didn't feel sorted out until about 80 mph or so. My policy was zero or 100, the in between stuff not so much.
I carried vise grips for when the shifter would fall off.
I still wonder how I survived it.
 
Great stories. I had a Rupp mini bike (torque converter drive) and while at the 'trails' a friend let me ride his Honda Minitrail. My life too was changed. My uncle would let me ride his 1000 HD Sportster when I was 14. Rode that thing all over the place. Mom freaked when she found out...LOL...good times. We had flattrack races every Saturday night in town (Yukon, OK). I don't think I missed a race. My Uncle would let me take that HD on occasion. I could barely touch the ground. I can't be without a bike. I'd go goofy.
 
Ironic that many "Pro-American" Harley riders have Japanese cars in their driveways, markets are changing, it's a world economy now.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Ironic that many "Pro-American" Harley riders have Japanese cars in their driveways, markets are changing, it's a world economy now.
Aint that the truth, not to mention all the import parts actually *IN* a Harley. And don't get me wrong-after riding import bikes for many years, I switched to exclusively Harleys for 25 years, until I just sold my last one a month ago. Kept my CB11. What does that tell you?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Ironic that many "Pro-American" Harley riders have Japanese cars in their driveways, markets are changing, it's a world economy now.
I always thought that they HAD TO buy the H-D version Ford F-150?
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Ironic that many "Pro-American" Harley riders have Japanese cars in their driveways, markets are changing, it's a world economy now.
the mrs and i have 2 sportsters.
we drove a chevy cavalier and a mazda (ford) protege.
added kawasaki and honda cycles.
we are now a korean (the new japanese) car family with a hyundai elantra wagon and a kia soul.
the kia would have been a ford mustang if the dealers were willing to deal a little more on the outgoing model. but if we had gotten the mustang not sure i could have obtained the CB1100.
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Ironic that many "Pro-American" Harley riders have Japanese cars in their driveways, markets are changing, it's a world economy now.
I always thought that they HAD TO buy the H-D version Ford F-150?
I always thought that they HAD TO buy the H-D version Ford F-150?
Nah..just slap an HD sticker in the middle of the rear window and all is good.
Just the other day I saw a Nissan "Cube" with a stick family on the rear glass and a fairly large decal of the HD variety. I own 3 of the darn things and don't own a sticker or a shirt. Strange days indeed....
 
Back
Top