considering another bike, need advice

scott will_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
so im considering adding a bike. im looking for something that me and mrs can ride 2 up comfortably over the road.
she is showing some interest in learning to ride too , but is 5ft and barely toe touches with my cb.

the cb is great and we both enjoy riding but my but gets soar after an hour and the wind at higher speeds bothers me.

i am partial to hondas cars, bikes , 3 wheelers mostly all ive owned.

never owned a cruiser
 
A cruiser with a 26-27 inch seat height would probably make her the most comfortable and give here confidence. Can't believe I'm recommending a Harley but the 883 low would be perfect for her. its a bike that she can grow into and not feel its underpowered for years to come.
I would say the new Honda 250 but the seat height is about the same as the CB only lighter and easier to handle.

For 2 up, there are a lot of options out there depending on your check book. If my wife liked to ride with me the Goldwing or a BMW K1600 would be my first choice. Most cruiser are not 2 up friendly usually having narrow passenger seats.

If your tall with a 32-34 inch inseam you could also consider a sport tourer// St1300, Concourse, FJR, the St1300 has the lower seat of the 3 bikes ( i have rode tested all of them, be prepared the seats are not much better than the CB1100 ) To ride 2 up on these bikes you have to be planted with two feet on the ground.

Good Luck with your search.
 
Scott I am confused..do you want 1 motorcycle that a 5' driver can ride PLUS do double up duty for you and your wife on trips?

Or

Are you looking to keep your CB and add a bike to your stable that your wife can ride solo?
 
Thread starter
sorry bout that
i would be adding a second bike that we would ride together and possibly one she could learn on but more for us to ride on trips together. comfortably
 
Scott, take your wife up to your local Honda dealer and have her try lifting some of the cruisers off the side stands, particularly the VTX 1300. A lot of people say very good things about that model. It would be low enough for her to sit on/ride and powerful enough for the two of you. A windshield, soft leather bags and a back rest may make it the ideal bike for you guys. If she doesn't like that one just walk around and have her try a few bikes on for size.

There are plenty of them available used too.
 
If it was my dilemma, I would get an after market seat that is two-up comfy and a luggage rack with a back rest. A good screen would complete the mods to the CB. For her I would go the Sportster Low or Starr Bolt. Also might look into a Guzzi Stone or Bonneville SE both of which have very low seats. With their dual shocks, the Guzzi and Bonnie can be lowered even more with shorter shocks and raising the forks in the triple clamps.
 
She is showing some interest in learning to ride?

In that case all of the above options are not sensible ( aside from Redbirds)

If she wants to ride, get her onto a CB500F, after a year she can have your CB1100 and you can buy a new one, probably with 7 gears by then, lol.:cool:
 
I can't imagine that a single new bike would be a good platform for being both: a) a two-up touring bike, and b) a bike for a vertically-challenged new rider to learn the art of riding.

It sounds to me like you're in the market for two new motorcycles in the garage.
 
Thread starter
i have thought about a more comfortable seat and have been looking for a bigger screen. havent seen any larger ones set up for a cb100. im sure theres a way to get one on there tho.
i may have to hold off on a bike for her for awhile.
just when you think your done with a bike.........theres something else
 
+1 on the Bonneville and +1 on the sportster. I'm 5'3 so I did my deal of short-people bike research when I went looking for my first motorcycle.

On paper, the Bolt is lighter and outperforms the Sportster, but after sitting on both (I only tested the iron 883) I noticed the sportster is more compact and carries its weight better.

As a Bonneville owner, this would be my top recommendation. It has little quirks here and there, but it's a very beginner-friendly bike. On top of that, it's lighter than the CB and has a narrower chassis & has more top end power than the Sportster or Guzzi. And as a modern classic like the CB, they compliment each other very well.

EDIT: A little disclaimer I should add: these are both entry level bikes, so while you can get by in-town, riding 2-up won't be as nice compared to the CB

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
Interesting, I didn't know there was a CTX 1300. Have your wife sit on both the 700 & 1300, if she feels comfortable on the 1300, then that would be a solid choice for either of you to ride solo or together.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
I sat on a CTX 1300 the other day. No 5 ft tall lady is going to ride one. It is very F6B ish with a detuned to 88 hp St 1300 engine. Pretty large motorcycle.
 
Lol bummer. I would recommend the new Harley Low rider but the heavy chassis and twin cam 103 might be too much

It's an interesting situation cuz it's hard to think of a good bike that will please 2 different riders when a specific bike is being compared to it (I love the Bonnie, but I'm loving the CB more)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
 
For learning, go to Craigslist and check out the 250-400 class bikes. Avoid the real cherry ones as she'll probably be adding some rash to the bike. :) Smaller bikes are less intimidating, are lighter and used ones are cheaper in case she decides to chuck the whole idea or quickly wants something a wee bit bigger. I'll suggest the Suzuki TU-250 and the Yamaha TW-200.

The newer Moto Guzzi V7's have optional lower seats, are light, shaft drive (one less thing to worry about), air cooled (at one point most engine failures are a direct result of a failure of the cooling system), light (at least 80lbs less than the Bonnie); but I'm a bit biased.

For two up touring a buddy just got a Victory Vision (her choice, not his) but the world is your oyster here with tons of choices ranging from older cherry Honda Goldwings (Aspencades are da bomb!) to modern wonders. And their prices! By the way, the new Moto Guzzi California Touring is very price competitive, not as big as the Vision or Indian while still fun in the twisty bits. Worth a look. A breakfast buddy has one and I keep thinking up lame reasons not to get one.

I think the CB could be made into a very competent tourer with dual Laam Seat (or Russell Daylong, Sargent etc. - keep in mind some of these seats will make the bike look ugly but your bum very happy) and a good windscreen.
 
Back
Top