Considering a BMW R1200 GS

apex1_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
I am planning to retire at the end of this year and I am considering selling my 3 bikes (Road King, Multistrada and CB1100EX) and replacing them with an R1200 GS or an R1250 GS. My hope is to have time to actually do some trips and the GS seems like a really versatile bike. Sure, I could get a Harley Electra Glide or Road Glide, or a Honda Gold Wing, but those would mean that I will have less of an option to go off paved roads. I had a GS in the early 90s (a Bumblebee) and pretty much hated it, but that was a long time ago. It did not have enough power to get out of its own way, but I know that is far from the case now.
 
The GS seems to be a very capable bike, but somehow it never appealed to me. Not sure why exactly, as it is a great motorcycle. Perhaps because it is a bit pretentious? Too big & heavy to really go off-road (unless you are a very skilled rider) and so, if one stays on the tarmac making very large trips, I would go for a Goldwing, or the K1600 or R1250RT, or a good old Yamaha FJR 1300.

Was it only the lack of power that made you hate your old GS?
What does the BMW have that your Multistrada doesn't have? (apart from the driveshaft)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
... shaft drive. Keep talkin' dirty bioman.
:huh: Not sure what you mean by this. A vehicle with shaft drive has a driveshaft instead of a chain to transmit power to the wheel. What's dirty about that?
 
Our mate, GoldOxide worships at the altar of shaft drives. He pines daily for one. You simply titillated his fantasy.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Our mate, GoldOxide worships at the altar of shaft drives. He pines daily for one. You simply titillated his fantasy.
+1 :)
..he already stocks a bucket of 10 gal gear oil :P
 
I'm a big fan of the BMW GSs. 1250 is probably not so much of an upgrade over the 1200 if cost is a big factor. For me personally, I don't at all agree that they are too big and heavy to go off road. I think that people assume that because the tanks are so big that the bike just looks large. Of the bikes I have, it's the most nimble of the group (including the CB), and while I don't go completely off-trail, I've had the thing in far from paved road conditions and it's really super. If shaft drive is your thing, it's the bomb. While I haven't been on one, everybody I know who has tried out the Pan American seems to really like them...so that may be an alternative if you don't care about the shaft drive.

For me, it's still the best in the category.
 
Thread starter
The thing I did not like about my old GS was the terrible lack of power. Two Bing carbs and it just was wide open all the time. While I do really love my Multistrada S with the Ohlins suspension, I don’t want to have to deal with a chain if I am able to really get away on longer trips after I retire.
 
apex1_imp said:
The thing I did not like about my old GS was the terrible lack of power. Two Bing carbs and it just was wide open all the time. While I do really love my Multistrada S with the Ohlins suspension, I don’t want to have to deal with a chain if I am able to really get away on longer trips after I retire.
The R1250GS has more than enough power in my view. Top speed is claimed at 135...I don't know, but it accelerates through 60 lickety split,. I make heavy use of the cruise control because otherwise I'd cruise up around 90mph without even thinking about it... The bike won't resemble your old airhead at all other than the cylinders poking out the sides...
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
Rent one. Plenty of folks offer them.

Or do both - rent and do a tour with these guys: Motorrad Tours | Guided Motorcycle Tours & Holidays Worldwide

missenden flyer on youtube has a series going right now using them (not for the first time) going from Alaska to the lower 48.

And everyone knows chain is better than shaft drive....... :poke: :D
I have watched the first 2 videos of TMF's Alaska/Canada tour with Motorrad Tours on his Youtube channel--good stuff. That said, the cost for the tour for 2 people with the bike rental is over $12,000. That would come close to paying for a good low mileage used R1200 GS. Paying that kind of money for an organized tour in the U.S. and Canada is not for me.
 
Test rides are pretty easily had at any dealership.

Also, if memory serves, Gone in 60 found some deal where they practically paid him to relocate BMW bikes from LA to Portland (or vice-versa...I forget). That'd give you plenty of time and space to evaluate.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Test rides are pretty easily had at any dealership.

Also, if memory serves, Gone in 60 found some deal where they practically paid him to relocate BMW bikes from LA to Portland (or vice-versa...I forget). That'd give you plenty of time and space to evaluate.
That would be a cool option in Canada. :-/
 
I've had a R1150RT, a 2014 R1200RT and and 2017 R1200RS (both liquid cooled), and I've ridden the 1250GS and RT.
I really prefer the 1150 out of all of them even if it lacks a bit of power. But if I were to choose between the 1200LC and the 1250, I'd go for the 1200LC which is, to me, more characterful and plenty powerful for anything you could want from a bike.

You honestly can't go wrong with a GS. But you can find a 1200 GS (lc) second hand and not buy a new 1250, be very (*very*) happy with it and 10.000€ less poor.
 
tommymck_imp said:
apex1_imp said:
The thing I did not like about my old GS was the terrible lack of power. Two Bing carbs and it just was wide open all the time. While I do really love my Multistrada S with the Ohlins suspension, I don’t want to have to deal with a chain if I am able to really get away on longer trips after I retire.
The R1250GS has more than enough power in my view. Top speed is claimed at 135...I don't know, but it accelerates through 60 lickety split,. I make heavy use of the cruise control because otherwise I'd cruise up around 90mph without even thinking about it... The bike won't resemble your old airhead at all other than the cylinders poking out the sides...
The R1250GS has more than enough power in my view. Top speed is claimed at 135...I don't know, but it accelerates through 60 lickety split,. I make heavy use of the cruise control because otherwise I'd cruise up around 90mph without even thinking about it... The bike won't resemble your old airhead at all other than the cylinders poking out the sides...
I agree, 136 hp at 7750 rpm and 105 ft lbs at 7550 is pretty respectable

I had a 2018 R9T for 3 yrs, it was 1170cc and rated 110 hp at 7750 and 86 ft lbs at 6000. It was quick, much quicker than the CB, granted bike was around 480lbs

The shaft final drive is nice on a dedicated touring bike that is gonna see lots of miles.

In some ways it’s also a liability as it’s heavy and basically limits your gearing options to 0
 
1985CB450_imp said:
tommymck_imp said:
apex1_imp said:
The thing I did not like about my old GS was the terrible lack of power. Two Bing carbs and it just was wide open all the time. While I do really love my Multistrada S with the Ohlins suspension, I don’t want to have to deal with a chain if I am able to really get away on longer trips after I retire.
The R1250GS has more than enough power in my view. Top speed is claimed at 135...I don't know, but it accelerates through 60 lickety split,. I make heavy use of the cruise control because otherwise I'd cruise up around 90mph without even thinking about it... The bike won't resemble your old airhead at all other than the cylinders poking out the sides...
The R1250GS has more than enough power in my view. Top speed is claimed at 135...I don't know, but it accelerates through 60 lickety split,. I make heavy use of the cruise control because otherwise I'd cruise up around 90mph without even thinking about it... The bike won't resemble your old airhead at all other than the cylinders poking out the sides...
I agree, 136 hp at 7750 rpm and 105 ft lbs at 7550 is pretty respectable

I had a 2018 R9T for 3 yrs, it was 1170cc and rated 110 hp at 7750 and 86 ft lbs at 6000. It was quick, much quicker than the CB, granted bike was around 480lbs

The shaft final drive is nice on a dedicated touring bike that is gonna see lots of miles.

In some ways it’s also a liability as it’s heavy and basically limits your gearing options to 0
Mmm, the numbers are nice. The final shaft drive is divine. To be enjoyed immensely.
 
My BIL has a 1200GS, and is constantly complaining about how expensive parts and labor are for it, and he is a very skilled mechanic who does much of his own bike work. I rode it a couple of times and didn't care for it, too tall and top heavy, but he thrashes it through the woods on a regular basis. I much preferred the Yami FJR1300 I had back then or the Suzi DL1000 I recently parted with. I brought the CB to TX with me and am glad I did.
 
tommymck_imp said:
Test rides are pretty easily had at any dealership.

Also, if memory serves, Gone in 60 found some deal where they practically paid him to relocate BMW bikes from LA to Portland (or vice-versa...I forget). That'd give you plenty of time and space to evaluate.
Yes Yes. MotoQuest - MotoQuest – Ride Your World
However, they are just up and down the West Coast as far as U.S. rentals. They do offer several international trips, which I'd love to take. Maybe you need to get to L.A., rent a bike and take it to San Francisco, Portland or Anchorage?

As far as their "Transporter Specials" that I take advantage of when they are offered, you do have to pay, but it's very cheap, a token daily rental fee and their mandatory insurance. I've ridden several models of BMW from these guys.

As far as an R1200GS, it's a brilliant bike... until it isn't. I loved mine, and my R1200R when I decided that I wanted something less... adventurous. Great handling and engineering. But when something goes, it doesn't go cheap! Whatever you do, keep up with fluid changes, especially on the brakes and final drive. When either of these systems go down, you'll be questioning the cost of repairs vs. the bike's value.
 
Back
Top