connection to control unit with OBD

GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Good to know about the other member who has that scanner ...in case if I am stuck on the road :D
:beerchug:
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness PB.
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.
One would have to wait for this until eternity :P
...but I can tell you, bflint is a good man and willing to share his equipment
:thumbsup:
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is what I have. It works with a Windows computer. The only thing I have used mine for so far is data gathering for the idle problems some were having. It works with Hondas and even some outboards. I have a Honda outboard so that’s a plus! Haven’t tried it on the outboard though.

They also keep the software updated and you can update it when connected to the internet.

It connects to the red diagnostic connector located behind the left side panel.
I have seen that used with other late model Honda owners too.

I use this:



... and Bluetooth connect it to the "Torque Pro" app running on Android. It all works very well.

The blue OBD2 dongle also works in every car I've tried (e.g. Honda, Kia, Dodge, Toyota, etc.).
I have seen that used with other late model Honda owners too.

I use this:



... and Bluetooth connect it to the "Torque Pro" app running on Android. It all works very well.

The blue OBD2 dongle also works in every car I've tried (e.g. Honda, Kia, Dodge, Toyota, etc.).
great! do you have the code of the cable?:timido:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Good to know about the other member who has that scanner ...in case if I am stuck on the road :D
:beerchug:
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness PB.
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.
One would have to wait for this until eternity :P
...but I can tell you, bflint is a good man and willing to share his equipment
:thumbsup:
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.
One would have to wait for this until eternity :P
...but I can tell you, bflint is a good man and willing to share his equipment
:thumbsup:
I have time, I'm only 71:timido:
 
bflint_imp said:
Noticed Mr Lord Popgun had previously bought HealTech OBD tool, so I ordered their OBD-H01 scanner today ($229 from Podium Bike in MI). These are "make specific" hence the H01 model is only for Hondas which I am more than ok with. Just shipped today, so maybe by Thanksgiving I can try it out :)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe ... Red :)
 
Enzofour_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is what I have. It works with a Windows computer. The only thing I have used mine for so far is data gathering for the idle problems some were having. It works with Hondas and even some outboards. I have a Honda outboard so that’s a plus! Haven’t tried it on the outboard though.

They also keep the software updated and you can update it when connected to the internet.

It connects to the red diagnostic connector located behind the left side panel.
I have seen that used with other late model Honda owners too.

I use this:



... and Bluetooth connect it to the "Torque Pro" app running on Android. It all works very well.

The blue OBD2 dongle also works in every car I've tried (e.g. Honda, Kia, Dodge, Toyota, etc.).
I have seen that used with other late model Honda owners too.

I use this:



... and Bluetooth connect it to the "Torque Pro" app running on Android. It all works very well.

The blue OBD2 dongle also works in every car I've tried (e.g. Honda, Kia, Dodge, Toyota, etc.).
great! do you have the code of the cable?:timido:
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
peterbaron_imp said:
Good to know about the other member who has that scanner ...in case if I am stuck on the road :D
:beerchug:
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness PB.
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.
One would have to wait for this until eternity :P
...but I can tell you, bflint is a good man and willing to share his equipment
:thumbsup:
Absolutely. Also, I know there are some other members in the San Diego area so they would be welcome to use it .
That would be interesting to witness [url=http://cb1100forum.com/forum/member.php?action=profile&uid=3454]PB.
One would have to wait for this until eternity :P
...but I can tell you, bflint is a good man and willing to share his equipment
:thumbsup:
I have time, I'm only 71:timido:

great! do you have the code of the cable?:timido:
I don't have the part number, but here is the site where I got and it has gone down in price. In addition, there is confirmation that the said cable works on the CB1100 2017 and later models.

[url=https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143465521559?ul_noapp=true]https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143465521559?ul_noapp=true


Looks like indeed year 2017 was a change in diagnostic management for Honda cycles.
 
Thread starter
bflint_imp said:
bflint_imp said:
Noticed Mr Lord Popgun had previously bought HealTech OBD tool, so I ordered their OBD-H01 scanner today ($229 from Podium Bike in MI). These are "make specific" hence the H01 model is only for Hondas which I am more than ok with. Just shipped today, so maybe by Thanksgiving I can try it out :)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe ... Red :)
2014 CB1100 Deluxe ... Red :)
equal:2014 cb1100 ex white:pollice su:
 
Help. Can't find connector on my 2014 CB1100 Deluxe :) Found red 4-pole connector under left side cover in a wire bundle. It was taped in a bundle. Removed from bundle and removed cap. Connected to my new HealTech OBD unit .... it did not register with the OBD unit. Assume I connected to wrong connector. Connector I used in red one in the middle of the picture.
 
That is the connector. I had some trouble getting a connection too. Can’t remember exactly what I did and I haven’t connected it in a while, but either getting the program up and then turning on the ignition or ignition first then opening the program did it.

I do know that I could barely get a connection with an old notebook I had that was SLOW and had to use a better PC.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
That is the connector. I had some trouble getting a connection too. Can’t remember exactly what I did and I haven’t connected it in a while, but either getting the program up and then turning on the ignition or ignition first then opening the program did it.

I do know that I could barely get a connection with an old notebook I had that was SLOW and had to use a better PC.
Thanks. Have fairly new laptop so that's not the problem. Will try again and wiggle all connections. If no worky, then will contact HealTech support.
 
When you open the program, does it make a connection with the ODB device? It should at least do that even if its not plugged into the bike.
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
When you open the program, does it make a connection with the ODB device? It should at least do that even if its not plugged into the bike.
If you mean does the Connect button become enabled on the software program, then No it does not. When I plug in the usb cable to my computer I get the windows ring-tone that signifies it recognized a new usb device being plugged in.
Lord Popgun_imp said:
When you open the program, does it make a connection with the ODB device? It should at least do that even if its not plugged into the bike.
Problem is they sent me the wrong OBD Tool version. Looked at the tool case and the model number is K01, eg the Kawasaki version. I ordered the H01 version.
 
Goldoxide i am very interested in your findings with the obd2 interface, i noticed different wire colors in the Honda dlc connector for the 2017 model but the same number of connections ( 4 ) in the red connector.

Just wondering what the difference in the manufacturing dates might be, are you able to see what the connection to the 2017 ecu is, the old version uses pin A30 "k-line" for data transfer via the orange/white wire.

And if anything has changed significantly did all Honda service departments upgrade their service devices?

Don't want to be difficult but just curious what has taken place and thanks very much for the picture and info you provided to us, cheers.:beerchug:
 
Hey max:

I wish I could help you more, but I did have a 2014 CB1100, but acquired the Honda-to-OBD2 adapter after I let go the bike. I use the Honda-to-OBD2 on a Honda Africa Twin, which I suspect also works on many mid-size Hondas 2017 and later. Since I did not own a 2017 CB1100 (or later), I cannot remark for certain. But the seller seems to suggest it works:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/143465521559?ul_noapp=true

Of the four pins, only three are actually used. This is a serial port (I think CAN-based), so the pins are battery, ground, and signal.
 
My HealTech OBD diagnostic tool saga continues: I received correct Honda H01 model yesterday. Connected everything and started the tool. Got error message ""This ECM is not supported at this time, but we will resolve it as soon as possible Please send the ECM ID shown on the screen along with the bike model/year in an email to support@healtech-electronics.com". Maybe its time to move on to something else :(
 
Well that is strange. It should work just fine on a 2014. Why don’t you call Healtech and see what they say.

Did you go on-line and get the most current software version?
 
Bill this may help to understand how the " handshaking " works with the k-line pin on the obd connector;
https://www.obdclearinghouse.com/Files/viewFile?fileID=1380

In brief; the k-line pin sits at +12volts and is not active ( no signal is present, just 12 volts )
The interface/computer sends a "wake-up message" by pulling the 12 v to ground in one of 3 ways.
When the e.c.u. receives this message it starts to "negotiate" a data speed setting and after that it responds with requested info/blurts out data for the interface.
The interface box translates the 12 volt level into a 5 volt level by-directional so the two can converse and understand with each other's language.

My guess is that this "wakeup message" has changed with new models ( the computer generates this message in the software program ) but the protocol of the k-line data should be the same since it is industry wide , i don't know.

All this will not solve your "not supported" message but may help to understand how things work, thanks for your very interesting updates.
 
OBD2 interface update.
Inspired by GO's bluetooth device i got myself an identical unit and cable but i could not get it to communicate with both the cb1100 ( 2010 model ) and my 2020 cb1000r.

The unit and cable plugs in and connects fine with the k-line pin and pulses it low as is the usual handshake method ( i checked this with my oscilloscope connected to the k-line ).
The "torque" app then connects with the device after it is registered on my android phone with the 1234 pass code.
The red led inside the blutooth interface lights up on ignition key-on and the green led indicates bluetooth traffic.
The app then checks roughly 10 different protocols ( according to the app ) but then stops and displays;
Connection could not be established.
Tried several times both engine off and running but the results remain the same and not sure if i missed something?

Just posting to inform others here that are tempted to do the same thing i tried and thanks GO for the picture and info , it no doubt works on your AT but not on my two bikes so far.
 
max_imp said:
OBD2 interface update.
Inspired by GO's bluetooth device i got myself an identical unit and cable but i could not get it to communicate with both the cb1100 ( 2010 model ) and my 2020 cb1000r.

The unit and cable plugs in and connects fine with the k-line pin and pulses it low as is the usual handshake method ( i checked this with my oscilloscope connected to the k-line ).
The "torque" app then connects with the device after it is registered on my android phone with the 1234 pass code.
The red led inside the blutooth interface lights up on ignition key-on and the green led indicates bluetooth traffic.
The app then checks roughly 10 different protocols ( according to the app ) but then stops and displays;
Connection could not be established.
Tried several times both engine off and running but the results remain the same and not sure if i missed something?

Just posting to inform others here that are tempted to do the same thing i tried and thanks GO for the picture and info , it no doubt works on your AT but not on my two bikes so far.
That is a lunchbox let down - no success even for the 2020 CB1000R? That is a bit surprising. Early CB1100s is understandable. I would dig a bit deeper into the CB1000R - that is a "new generation" bike.

Hmm, the CB1000R isn't listed explicitly as tested by the vendor, however, a blanket statement is made at the end of the list:

 
Finally got my new HealTech OBD diagnostic tool working. HealTech had to send me a software update, but now I see pretty graphs and moving numbers. Now I have to spend some time figuring out what is all means :)
 
Back
Top