Condensation Effects

Ack-CB11_imp said:
Thank's all for the concern and offers. This is my 11th bike since I moved out here. The CB by far has been the fastest to go and my worse case yet. I bought a CRF-150f at the same time, which is outside 24/7 and only an ATV tarp thrown over it. I washed it for the 1st time this weekend and it looks great, 5 years newer then the CB now! I've always been a huge Honda dirtbike fan, this is only my 3rd Honda streetbike. I expected better and this really caught me off gaurd.
The marks on the motor are exposed aluminum now and would have to be repainted or something? Sad really, half way through my 1st winter?
With the damage done, I'm switching to damage control mode. She will be staying inside and dry from now on. I'm getting one of those blow dryer, blaster things for after washing and caught in the rain rides.

Also I don't really store the bike away for the winter, it's been out at least every other week so far.
I look at the bike, all metal surfaces are painted, some clear coated, few are bare stainless steel. there is no exposed bared metal as I see. your bike is a rare case? I don't see any complaints of severe mildew or rust. if your older bikes doesn't rust, you might want to figure out why your CB develop this problem. my bike still look like new, so are others in cold winter.
 
Thread starter
Rare case? Lucky me, it figures............
I think it might be a 10 grand thing vs 22?
I'll just have to be more careful then others here I guess.
I've already rode the CB more miles then I did on the BMW, so that's something.
I'm taking her all apart for a major cleaning, in, up and under. It should still look pretty good, hopefully?
I'm going to try this S100 corrosion product : http://www.autogeek.net/s1tocycoprae.html

I might install those injector scoops while I'm at it.......that will teach her.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Rare case? Lucky me, it figures............
I think it might be a 10 grand thing vs 22?
I'll just have to be more careful then others here I guess.
I've already rode the CB more miles then I did on the BMW, so that's something.
I'm taking her all apart for a major cleaning, in, up and under. It should still look pretty good, hopefully?
I'm going to try this S100 corrosion product : http://www.autogeek.net/s1tocycoprae.html

I might install those injector scoops while I'm at it.......that will teach her.
My 1975 cb750 holding up better than that! Take it from someone who's gotten results, TALK TO CORPORATE- or at least the dealer. What do you have to lose?
 
Ack If Color-Rite or someone else has engine touch up paint you might want to consider it. I really hate to see your bike at anything less than near perfect, especially after your ground breaking modifications:

21a37cc29fd5a423ad43154f63d331e2.jpg
 
CB4ME_imp said:
Ack If Color-Rite or someone else has engine touch up paint you might want to consider it. I really hate to see your bike at anything less than near perfect, especially after your ground breaking modifications:

21a37cc29fd5a423ad43154f63d331e2.jpg

That IS a beautiful motorcycle!
 
The ferret_imp said:
CB4ME_imp said:
Ack If Color-Rite or someone else has engine touch up paint you might want to consider it. I really hate to see your bike at anything less than near perfect, especially after your ground breaking modifications:

21a37cc29fd5a423ad43154f63d331e2.jpg

That IS a beautiful motorcycle!

That IS a beautiful motorcycle!
Yes, it certainly is.
 
Not to hijack the thread, but while on the topic of condensation, be sure to keep your gas tank filled whenever possible. In those photos you can see the damaging effects of condensation on the outside of the bike, but they don't show what may be occurring inside your gas tank.

I'm a pilot. All pilots are taught that condensation occurs in the air space inside gas tanks. Condensation cannot occur in a tank full of fuel. Aircraft are stored with full gas tanks to reduce the space of air in the tanks, minimizing the possibility of water entering the fuel system to as little as possible. A motorcycle or car engine sputtering to a stop is bad. A helicopter engine sputtering to a stop is...well...

I'm religious about stopping by the gas station at the end of every ride, so the bikes are stored in the garage with full tanks. As an added benefit, it also ensures they're ready-to-go for the next ride!
 
As usual, thumper nailed it. A full tank will not rust.
Ack-CB11, I must admit what you/your 1100 is experiencing is quite disheartening. It DOES make you wonder about Honda's commitment to quality, which for me has never been an issue. I've bought several new Hondas through the years, starting with a '75 750SS and have never been disappointed in how the bike's appearance always looked pristine after a good washing.
Hell, I had my 2013 2 weeks before I actually rode it. It got to the point that I just couldn't take seeing it in the garage with ZERO miles on it, so I took it for a 50-mile spin in heavy fog and mist in early March.
Then in October my S.O. and I wanted to ride so bad we went riding in a heavy downpour for a couple hours just to get our smiles back. :P
Granted, I keep her (the CB) :D in an unheated garage, but I have yet to see any of the issues you are experiencing. I certainly wish I had an answer for you. The most puzzling thing for me is that you live in Texas; the issues you are having should not be happening in your area.
Good luck figuring it all out..............hopefully your dealer will be your friend.
Cheers. :beerchug:
Jim
 
Thread starter
Inline4_imp said:
Deanohh_imp said:
I thought Nantucket was islands in the Atlantic ocean.
Where the heck did I think ACK lives in Texas????? :huh:
Where the heck did I think ACK lives in Texas????? :huh:
+1 Thumper on the full tank tip, a rule to live by. I was ready for the inside, topped up full and some Startron. Thankfully the tank is fine inside and out.
I wish ACK was in Texas. That's my new favorite place, since COTA arrived.
 
Man, I need to top my tank off. I forgot all about the condensation thing...
 
Man that is a shame.

I guess I am fortunate but I've never stored a bike out doors. I very rarely see a bike in this part of Pa sitting out. In Nantucket seems it would be the kiss of a very early death. If you mix damp salt laden air and then a cover which to me just incubates the inevitable that type of damage would be an almost over night experience.

I have to be a little careful with the bikes in the garage due to changing temps and condensation.

Hope it's relatively easily remedied.
 
Thread starter
Going to keep this one dry..........

I washed and completely DRIED the bike.
Just got the Metro Vac dual motor heated Master Blaster.
The thing is awesome, very nice piece.
Takes about an hour but comes out everywhere dry, works great on our cooling fins.
The thing blows with real pressure on high.

Works awesome, hope this helps in my corrosive environment

https://www.metrovacworld.com/Air_Force_Master_Blaster_Car_Dryer_MB-3CD/overview
 
My garage sits on a very thick slab of concrete which acts as a heat/cold sink.
On average days with normal humidity, the bikes are fine in the garage, but when a southern warm front sweeps in with high humidity the cold slab generates all kinds of condensation on the cold bikes and on the floor.
My solution was to buy an industrial sized fan (24" or so) and hook it to a timer to blow air over the bikes at low speed. The constant movement of air doesn't allow the moisture to settle.
I keep my eye on the weather and only use it when we have humid weather days.
And yes, I always store the bikes after a ride with a full gas tank.
 
"Takes about an hour but comes out everywhere dry"

an hour just to dry with the master blaster? Holy cow
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
"Takes about an hour but comes out everywhere dry"

an hour just to dry with the master blaster? Holy cow
Well?? seemed like an hour. Sorry, maybe more like 30 minutes.
It really worked well and had some real heat coming out, not just from the motors. Water just keeps blowing out of everywhere on the bike.
I really liked how it works and hope it helps.

Just did my 600 mile "run-in service" they call it, then every 6k.
 
Back
Top