Condensation Effects

Ack-CB11_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Big temp changes and storing my bike outdoors caused the entire bike to become soaked with heavy heavy dew. Everything painted is fine, bare metal has rusted, bare and painted aluiminum is pitted or stained. The pictured white marks on the motor are where the black is gone to expose the aluminum from the water drops.
I'm really disappointed, my BMW I kept outside and uncovered, more then once and nothing like this ever happened for over a year and a half?
This was after about a month, she's now coming to work with me for some 24hr heat untill I can find somewhere else. I wish it had sold....

Everyone storing unheated keep an eye on moisture.



[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/002-2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/001-3.jpg.html]
Honda quality???
 
I feel your pain. I had a Suzuki that I loaned to my kid and he stored it under a tree. Then he tried to clean the engine cases with a wire brush......what a mess.

I don't think metrics have a real good reputation for corrosion resistance.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Wow, that's not good.
Right? Get caught in the rain a few times and these motors will look 10 years old. My motor already looks worse then the BMW I just had and it was an 07!
 
Its funny you brought this up, the weather here has been up and down temps and rainy. A week or so ago I went out to the garage and everything was covered in heavy dew, my tools, my bicycles, it was terrible. I wiped the CB down, but did not blow the water off of it. After seeing those pic's I wish I had. I have ridden since then but I may go out there spray her down with maybe some WD-40. What do you all think would be safe to use to keep this from happening??:(
 
That is a damn shame Ack I keep mine in a 10 x 20 storage container, With the temps lately fluctuating so much I pulled it out the other day and blew it off with a backpack let it run for a while and wiped everything down.
 
You should have stored it in my garage.

Seriously, that truly sucks. Once you get it inside you should be able to fix anything short of actual pits in the metal.

I wish you lived closer, I love detailing bikes and would gladly take on your CB for a restoration project.

And you're right the bike should not have gone so far downhill so fast. Curse you Honda!
 
Spray the entire bike w/ S-100 cycle wash, then agitate the S-100 everywhere in every nook and cranny w/ a wet 2" paint brush, hose it down gently w water, blow dry the bike w/ a shop vac on reverse. Run the bike till warm. This stuff will clean the festering corrosion and leave an anti-corrosive protection to bare metal.
I have a spot in my dry garage available, your bike is welcome to keep my CB1100 company. Hampton Bays, Long Island is 2 ferries away.
 
I just noticed "Nantucket", I wonder if the salt air played a part. I live about an hours drive from the ocean, The Outer Banks, I don't plan on taking the CB anywhere near there. I use spray Rem Oil on my guns, maybe that would put a good coating on things without making a mess.
Sorry to hear about this Ack, maybe it will clean up ok. It bothered me so much I ran out to the garage and checked on my girl in between posts.
 
Nantucket salt air does not help, I'm sure.
I wonder if a good "breathable" cover would prevent the moisture build-up and prevent from settling on the parts?
The Honda manual someone posted a while back on storing a motorcycle said not to use cotton or tarp since it can hold moisture
Needs to be able to breathe but not hold moisture.
 
I sprayed my last bike with multi surface pledge periodically and it kept it looking brand new. Any reason not to use it on the CB?
 
Is that corrosion or simply deposits of something that will clean off? Hopefully the latter.
I don't have a garage so I have to keep my bikes under HD bike covers from CycleGear. I get some excess dust but no rust. Normally our humidity levels are very low (monsoon season is the exception).
 
WD40 is your friend. Wash the bike to remove contamination prior to storage and spray the whole motor down with the stuff. You should be ready to go in the Spring once you wash the bike off.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Big temp changes and storing my bike outdoors caused the entire bike to become soaked with heavy heavy dew. Everything painted is fine, bare metal has rusted, bare and painted aluiminum is pitted or stained. The pictured white marks on the motor are where the black is gone to expose the aluminum from the water drops.
I'm really disappointed, my BMW I kept outside and uncovered, more then once and nothing like this ever happened for over a year and a half?
This was after about a month, she's now coming to work with me for some 24hr heat untill I can find somewhere else. I wish it had sold....

Everyone storing unheated keep an eye on moisture.



[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/002-2.jpg.html]

[url=http://s303.photobucket.com/user/ACKCR500/media/001-3.jpg.html]
Honda quality???

your bike looks like it has severe salt rust
 
Thread starter
Thank's all for the concern and offers. This is my 11th bike since I moved out here. The CB by far has been the fastest to go and my worse case yet. I bought a CRF-150f at the same time, which is outside 24/7 and only an ATV tarp thrown over it. I washed it for the 1st time this weekend and it looks great, 5 years newer then the CB now! I've always been a huge Honda dirtbike fan, this is only my 3rd Honda streetbike. I expected better and this really caught me off gaurd.
The marks on the motor are exposed aluminum now and would have to be repainted or something? Sad really, half way through my 1st winter?
With the damage done, I'm switching to damage control mode. She will be staying inside and dry from now on. I'm getting one of those blow dryer, blaster things for after washing and caught in the rain rides.

Also I don't really store the bike away for the winter, it's been out at least every other week so far.
 
Ack-CB11_imp said:
Thank's all for the concern and offers. This is my 11th bike since I moved out here. The CB by far has been the fastest to go and my worse case yet. I bought a CRF-150f at the same time, which is outside 24/7 and only an ATV tarp thrown over it. I washed it for the 1st time this weekend and it looks great, 5 years newer then the CB now! I've always been a huge Honda dirtbike fan, this is only my 3rd Honda streetbike. I expected better and this really caught me off gaurd.
The marks on the motor are exposed aluminum now and would have to be repainted or something? Sad really, half way through my 1st winter?
With the damage done, I'm switching to damage control mode. She will be staying inside and dry from now on. I'm getting one of those blow dryer, blaster things for after washing and caught in the rain rides.

Also I don't really store the bike away for the winter, it's been out at least every other week so far.
Hi all, The very best stuff you can use is ACF-50. Wash and dry the bike, take a can of ACF-50 stand it in a pan of hot water taking out to shake now and again, (you may not need to do this in warmer climates) Once the can is warm in the hand spray allover the bike, i have been using this for years in the UK. Spray just befor winter clean off in the spring. I hope you find this helps you. Please Google ACF-50. nigel.
 
If I were you, I'd do two things.

1) See if it's covered by warranty. Faults in metallurgy could very well explain why the bike so quickly degraded- it is unusual and should not happen unless you were riding in the salty snow.

2) Contact Honda corporate if your dealer doesn't want to warranty it. Email them, call them, write actual snailmail letters. You would be surprised with my dealer calling me the next day, asking to buy my ninja 300 back after I contacted Kawasaki corporate ;)
 
Back
Top