Concealed Carry

Powerdogg55

Running like a top
Thread starter
Just wondering how many of you conceal carry while riding your bike. I routinely conceal carry a S&W shield 9mm in a crossbreed IWB holster. My concern is if an accident occurred (Heaven Forbid) could possibly cause more injury to the rider, damaged weapon, & worst case scenario accidental discharge. Like to hear your thoughts.
 
This is another of those touchy subjects so I will be keeping a close eye on this discussion, lets not let it get out of hand or I will lock it up.

This is not a pro or anti gun thread. Lets not make it one.
 
I keep a .380 in a Fobus holster in the tank bag. I would not feel comfortable carrying on my person while riding. I've seen this subject get completely out of hand on other forums so that's all I have to add.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
This is another of those touchy subjects so I will be keeping a close eye on this discussion, lets not let it get out of hand or I will lock it up.

This is not a pro or anti gun thread. Lets not make it one.
Apologies. No intent implied as to pro or anti. Simply a safety concern for those who may carry while riding their bikes. I do however understand this could be a controversial topic. Thanks for the disclaimer.
 
Well it is a legitimate subject for those of you who do carry, so I'm letting it go for now. Who knows ? our members are really civil so maybe this discussion will remain that way, but like Redbirds said, I've seen this discussion get way out of hand and really down right nasty on other forums.

As long as it remains on subject and civil it's all good.

My brother rides and is a CCW holder, while I am not. He carries his in some kind of holster that clips on his belt inside his pants. I don't think he has any fear of it accidentally discharging in an accident. Not even sure he's even thought about that, I will have to ask him.
 
Thread starter
Thank you Ferret. I just picked up my 14 DLX yesterday from my dealer. This bike is the smoothest most refined ride I've ever owned. I have not carried while riding in the past just wondered if anyone did. Really have enjoyed the forum and particularly your posts!

14 DLX #000185
 
I have two buddies that carry 100 percent of the time but I dont. They put their piece in hard bags though. I dont think we have ever had a conversation about something accidentally discharging. I would think the chances to be slim to none.
 
If I have it on me that day I ride with it. Ruger LCP in a holster that fits in my waistband. From what I've read, you could pretty much throw the gun in the holster down some stairs and it wouldn't discharge.
 
One of my friends carries his in his hard case. The other, in a holster (on his calf, I think). Both carry Glocks. They have told me that the weapon cannot discharge if there is not a round left in the chamber when it is holstered. I don't know enough about guns, though, to verify their statements.

I DO know one thing, though: if you have a weapon with you and are stopped for any reason by police, you best tell them immediately that you're carrying and where the weapon is located. Don't wait for them to find out you have a permit and have to ask you about it.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
One of my friends carries his in his hard case. The other, in a holster (on his calf, I think). Both carry Glocks. They have told me that the weapon cannot discharge if there is not a round left in the chamber when it is holstered. I don't know enough about guns, though, to verify their statements.

I DO know one thing, though: if you have a weapon with you and are stopped for any reason by police, you best tell them immediately that you're carrying and where the weapon is located. Don't wait for them to find out you have a permit and have to ask you about it.
If the clip is full, but the chamber is empty, there's absolutely 100% no way the gun will fire. Regardless, every gun should be treated like it could fire at any second.

Obviously you tell the police. When I get pulled over in my truck I have my drivers and concealed carry license ready when the cop gets to the window, as well as hands on the steering wheel and dome light on if it's night. That's just common sense.
 
Common sense is not so common as it would seem, though. At a bike night a few weeks ago, I was involved in a conversation with 3 riders who carry and who had been stopped at different times for whatever reasons. 2 of them thought it was best to not mention a thing and for one of them it worked out--he got a ticket for whatever it was. The other one spent some insanely long period of time either on the side of the road or in the station (I forget) while they searched the bike,miss person, and ran whatever checks they felt necessary. The third, who disclosed up front, wound up not even getting the well-deserved speeding ticket he said he was stopped about in the first place. Of the 4 of us, at least two were morons, not counting me.
 
My concern with it on my person is additional injury in the event of a crash/getting loose and floating around the crash site. Even with a round chambered, you'd have to do some really crazy stuff to get a modern, quality pistol to fire without pulling the trigger.
 
If concerned first only a quality firearm properly maintained, second if auto no round in the chamber, if revolver no round in the cylinder under the hammer. With a quality firearm that is probably overkill and defeats the purpose of concealed carry. If carry in luggage again defeats purpose of concealed carry. I have a license and I would never publish when or if I carry. Use a good holster not junk and that is a matter of personal choice.

Always tell police officer you have a license, have it out and tell if you are carrying. Every time they stop a person it is a potential life threatening event. They should be nervous and you need to keep engine off, hands visible no rapid movements.

Theft of a vehicle is not life threatening and not justifiable IMHO for the use of a gun even though I might want to use it. Only respond if your life is in danger.
 
Great post, Elipten. Well-written, thoughtful, and to the point.

I think my only concern about carrying would be that I could land on a large hunk of steel in a crash. I think that might smart a bit more than just hitting the ground. but I carry my phone and a pen and sometimes a cigar lighter, so I guess it's all about making the choice that makes you feel safe and comfortable.
 
I would like to carry, but out here in the land of fruits and nuts it's damn near impossible to get a CCW in any urban areas unless you are about in bed with the sheriff or the police chief of your town/city.
That being said, and the fact that I am still recovering from and accident (attempted murder if you asked me), I'm a bit on the fence with this. The way I hit the ground I most likely would have broken more than the two ribs I did break wearing a shoulder holster and quite possibly could have suffered some sort of other injury in the pelvic area had I had an in the pants type of holster.....its really hard to say.
And not having a round chambered defeats the idea of having a concealed weapon for self defense because if you have to cock the weapon, you could be dead. If you care carrying a revolver I would suspect it would have an internal hammer for a couple of reasons. One being so that it doesn't get caught on the holster and another for comfort.
My $.02
 
It's really not difficult. Stop for the officer, shut the bike off, put the kickstand down, keep your hands on the grips, and talk to him. Don't worry, he'll tell you what he wants you to do.
 
What could be more off topic than guns? Is Honda selling them now? Are different models suggested in the Owners Manual? Did the AMA sponsor a turkey shoot?
 
It's not off topic because the question was asked about carrying while riding. Please calm down as there is no conspiracies against anyone here.
 
I agree about having any object in pockets can become deadly or at least highly prone to increasing injury in an accident. A pen is highly dangerous and I would strongly suggest that goes in the tank bag.

I typically do day rides as no time currently for multi day rides. I don't feel the CB1100 is a highly desirable high theft bike vs. say a HD or some fancy chopper or a Duc. I also avoid bad locations. So up to now I've not felt the need to carry, not that I wouldn't. With a helmet, gloves, jacket and etc, you are not going to be fast. So I would probably select from my collection a small semiauto with an actual mechanical safety, and not have a round in the chamber with a back pocket or use a holster in a cargo pants pocket. Not sure if hip holster would be comfortable. Underarm rig an option but with jacket and Texas heat it would get a lot of moisture.

I would never put in a tank bag. The one time you forget and go to the store or bathroom and someone else grabs the bag, you have real issues to explain why you relinquished control. After all it is a concealed carry lisence.


Carry a patch kit, cell phone and an air compressor. Add the tow option to your insurance and I am told Progressive sucks at paying the tow companies so they never come or delay for hours.


I have not felt the need to carry on day rides. Now camping and hotels are a different matter these days, even good hotels. You can't carry into a bar in Texas so not of value in that trouble spot and besides booze, bikes and guns should never mix!


Be safe, avoid trouble areas like the inner city, middle schools, pizza places, movie theaters and Luby cafeteria. You should be fine.
 
Back
Top