Complicated solution to a simple problem

Thread starter
I live near the convergence of multiple freeways, which makes getting around convenient. At night, I always hear "Banzai runners", guys on inline four liter bikes screaming at what must be well into the triple digits, exotics like Lambos and Ferraris, and any other manner of go-fast machine.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
Yep.

Some riders are skilled enough to simply use their foot to cover the plate while passing through the scanners.
I wonder how many actually get away with it? I mean, with the number of cameras that line the roadways these days, couldn't they just go back a couple cameras and get the plate from there, of course assuming the rider isn't driving without a plate?
 
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
Yep.

Some riders are skilled enough to simply use their foot to cover the plate while passing through the scanners.
I wonder how many actually get away with it? I mean, with the number of cameras that line the roadways these days, couldn't they just go back a couple cameras and get the plate from there, of course assuming the rider isn't driving without a plate?
Conceptually you are correct.

However, this region (Ontario) is not London, England.

"Elsewhere cameras" are much fewer and lack the resolution. We can barely get any [facial] features from daily violent shopping mall robbers in decent light.

" ... the suspects appear to be possibly male ... "
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Whoops_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
m in sc_imp said:
Yep.

Some riders are skilled enough to simply use their foot to cover the plate while passing through the scanners.
I wonder how many actually get away with it? I mean, with the number of cameras that line the roadways these days, couldn't they just go back a couple cameras and get the plate from there, of course assuming the rider isn't driving without a plate?
Conceptually you are correct.

However, this region (Ontario) is not London, England.

"Elsewhere cameras" are much fewer and lack the resolution. We can barely get any [facial] features from daily violent shopping mall robbers in decent light.

" ... the suspects appear to be possibly male ... "
Conceptually you are correct.

However, this region (Ontario) is not London, England.

"Elsewhere cameras" are much fewer and lack the resolution. We can barely get any [facial] features from daily violent shopping mall robbers in decent light.

" ... the suspects appear to be possibly male ... "
Last spring there was a rider here on a BMW that really pissed off the highway patrol. They chased him for quite a while. The police later did a press conference asking for help identifying the rider. You would think with all the intersection and roadside cameras we have here (a plethora), as well as the numerous police cars he passed, the helicopter that followed him, that somebody would have gotten something. Nope. He got away. Though I would guess he stopped riding for a while until his new jacket, pants and helmet came in and the shop finished wrapping his bike a different color.

https://www.abc4.com/news/northern-...y-patrol-searching-for-reckless-motorcyclist/

*EDIT*
I searched to see if they ever caught him. Looks like they eventually did a few months later. Sounds like he had no plates on his bike which explains the inability to identify him initially.
https://www.abc4.com/news/northern-...ice-at-nearly-140-mph-arrested-3-weeks-later/
 
There are many more people on the planet today than in yesteryear.

There are proportionally more bad actors.

Due to budget constraints and the sheer increase in population, pursuit is challenging and likely to get worse - unless drones and AI solutions become the norm.

More cameras monitored by humans is unsustainable. That will be automated to keep up with the punks.

Even some overloaded judicial court systems are using AI-backed offense processing to help lighten the load.
 
Thread starter
Bikes running triple-digits are largely ignored around here, and the only thing that stops them are solid objects.

Televised car chases in California are a sporting event as you can imagine. I have only cheered for the guy running from the cops once, because he was driving a Fiesta ST like my car. That little car is fast and nimble! The only time I've seen a car get away from the helicopters. I imagine that car is wrapped a different color and sporting different plates these days.

And I don't suppose I cheered, but I did laugh uncontrollably when the news reported that Ian Ziering was attacked by a gang of mini-bikers on Taco scooters on Hollywood Boulevard on New Years Eve. While I detest violence in all of its forms, watching the star of Sharknado being beat up by a bunch of furries was entertaining to say the least.
 
Thread starter
m in sc_imp said:
question: why not the back of the helmet?
Because the instructions with the transponder say "Do not install near metal."

And I'm a total metal head.

 
A friend of mine and his son work together, and they have a long commute, Riverside CA to the South Bay area, and in order to get into the 3- occupant lane, they fashioned up a third rider dummy for the rear seat of the truck. A foam wig stand propped up on a box, equipped with huge sunglasses and a wig with a ball cap on it. The camera sees that, and it's good to go.
 
Thread starter
Charlie Bravo_imp said:
A friend of mine and his son work together, and they have a long commute, Riverside CA to the South Bay area, and in order to get into the 3- occupant lane, they fashioned up a third rider dummy for the rear seat of the truck. A foam wig stand propped up on a box, equipped with huge sunglasses and a wig with a ball cap on it. The camera sees that, and it's good to go.
Brilliant. Years ago, I saw "The inflatable man" on Ebay... sort of looked like the "Otto Pilot" from the movie Airplane. It was marketed as a safety device to be used by women driving alone... by putting what looked like a man in the passenger seat, it gave the impression that there was a man in the car. Of course, they were used as car pool dummies.

Seems that the new fun doodad for Christmas last month was inflatable snowmen or Santas that sat in the car, plugged into the power socket. I saw someone with one in a parking lot and asked "You use that for the car pool lane, don't you?"
 
Back
Top