Complete list of retro bikes

postoak_imp

Been there
Thread starter
So, what are they? I'm talking about new production UJM style bikes.

I can think of the CB1100, Kawasaki Z900RS, Moto Guzzi V7 and V9, Royal Enfields, Kawasaki W800, Triumph Bonneville. What am I forgetting?
 
Thread starter
I wasn't aware of the SR400. It certainly has the look but is it available in the U.S.? (Not that that is a requirement.)
 
postoak_imp said:
I wasn't aware of the SR400. It certainly has the look but is it available in the U.S.? (Not that that is a requirement.)
Been available in the U.S since '14, I believe. Overpriced at 6k, end of year sales at 5k--getting there--at the time I was looking at one and felt that I wouldn't pay more than 4500 for a new one. Crazy...some members here got their standard '14 CB1100 for as low as 6,000, and that's what the sr400 was selling for at the same time.
 
Suzuki TU250x, Vanvan 200, Katana. Yamaha XSR 700/900, not to mention in a way every cruiser out there is a retro bike to the 1930's. Honda Monkey, Sym wolf 150.
 
Thread starter
Thanks Stichill, interesting read. I agree with the commenters that this doesn't remind one of old /5s in any way.

The Katana, well if the photo I googled up is what you are talking about it doesn't seem retro looking at all.
I guess I can add the Triumph Street Twin and Speed Twin.
 
Thread starter
Well, as I said, for my purposes, something vaguely resembling a UJM street standard. From the period of late '60s to mid-late '70s. My salad days. The angular look of the late '70s and '80s doesn't qualify. Nothing with a foot-forward position would qualify.
 
postoak_imp said:
Well, as I said, for my purposes, something vaguely resembling a UJM street standard. From the period of late '60s to mid-late '70s. My salad days. The angular look of the late '70s and '80s doesn't qualify. Nothing with a foot-forward position would qualify.
Anything with a motocross rear end with no fender does not qualify. Dual shocks and chrome mufflers are a must, unless it is a single cylinder motor.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Well, as I said, for my purposes, something vaguely resembling a UJM street standard. From the period of late '60s to mid-late '70s. My salad days. The angular look of the late '70s and '80s doesn't qualify. Nothing with a foot-forward position would qualify.
Anything with a motocross rear end with no fender does not qualify. Dual shocks and chrome mufflers are a must, unless it is a single cylinder motor.
Agree
 
Yamaha SCR950. Based on the Bolt, but set up like a vintage-style UJM.
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
postoak_imp said:
Well, as I said, for my purposes, something vaguely resembling a UJM street standard. From the period of late '60s to mid-late '70s. My salad days. The angular look of the late '70s and '80s doesn't qualify. Nothing with a foot-forward position would qualify.
Anything with a motocross rear end with no fender does not qualify. Dual shocks and chrome mufflers are a must, unless it is a single cylinder motor.
Interesting comment. What is a motocross rear end? I've never heard that term before. Is it just one with no rear fender?
 
I would add that a retro bike to me would require the prerequisite retro rear suspension i.e one shock per side as well as a wishbone shaped swing arm. Mono shock rear suspended bikes for me would automatically be excluded. Including certain Harley versions regardless of their ‘vintage’ look.
 
Back
Top