Compared to the classics .....

the Ferret

Road warrior
Thread starter
Comparing it to the classis of yore. Or having fun with numbers

68 Honda CB 750. 67 hp @9000 rpms. Weight 491 wet
,
72 Kawasaki Z-1 900.... 82 hp @8500 rpms. Weight 511 dry

80 Suzuki GS 1100 ..... 87 hp @ 8000 rpms Weight 563 wet

78 Yamaha XS 1100 ...95 hp @ 8500 rpms. Weight 630 wet

2013 Honda CB1100 ....87 hp @ 7500 rpms. Weight 540 wet. :D

Now I also had a 2001 Yamaha FZ 1 with 125 hp that weighed 510 pounds. Its an amazing machine. Trouble is most of those horses come stampeding in between 8,000 and 12000 rpms. Personally, I never rode in that rev range, 100 % of my riding was below 6000 rpms and the FZ made plenty of power for me below 6000 rpms. According to the dyno at 6000 rpms the FZ1 is making 65 hp. The CB will possibly be making more hp than the FZ in the rev range I rode in.

My ST 1300 makes about 92 horses @ 6000 rpms (and peak at 112 hp @8000 rpms).... Thats pretty good, and a little more powerful than the CB 1100 for real world riding, but it weighs 716 wet.
 
Ferret,

When you and I were in high school that 82 HP Z-1 was an all conquering beast capable of humbling the hottest 60's muscle cars. Today somehow our lighter and more powerful CB11 is considered a sedate old man's bike. Like you, I've had a couple real sport bikes that I never was able to explore the limits of because they were beyond my riding abilities. But like that old Z-1, the CB11 will humble just about any performance car built today. Now with 900+ miles on my bike I had a ZR-1 Corvette "give it a go" trying to best me on a two lane freeway on ramp. My Staintune was screaming at 8000+ rpm as the big CB walked away from that Corvette. The vet driver and I exchanged thumbs up when he caught up to me on the freeway. This bike is plenty fast for this old man. Cheers.

Chip
 
My Griso will smoke this bike, and not being governed will do about 150. Well beyond my pucker factor. Handling is better, motor feels better at freeway speeds but darn it, not nearly as comfortable. It is also sneaky fast if I'm not on top of it all the time. The CB has plenty of power, lets you know when it's going fast or accelerating. And so much easier to ride in town. Much more civilized. It has some poop, but it hides it rather well. The Griso likes to show it off. :)
 
Thread starter
ChipBeck_imp said:
Ferret,

When you and I were in high school that 82 HP Z-1 was an all conquering beast capable of humbling the hottest 60's muscle cars. Today somehow our lighter and more powerful CB11 is considered a sedate old man's bike. Like you, I've had a couple real sport bikes that I never was able to explore the limits of because they were beyond my riding abilities. But like that old Z-1, the CB11 will humble just about any performance car built today. Now with 900+ miles on my bike I had a ZR-1 Corvette "give it a go" trying to best me on a two lane freeway on ramp. My Staintune was screaming at 8000+ rpm as the big CB walked away from that Corvette. The vet driver and I exchanged thumbs up when he caught up to me on the freeway. This bike is plenty fast for this old man. Cheers.

Chip
Lol High School?

I was out of high school when the original CB 750 came out. I had quit College and was selling motorcycles full time when the Z1 came out. The best muscle cars imo came out in my junior and senior years of high school 67 and 68. Fast back Mustangs, Camaros, Chevelles, Novas, Corvettes, GTO's,..th ose were some cars!
 
I had a 2002 Hayabusa and a 2008 B-King. Both of these bikes were incredible, but I could only ride them to about 40% of their capability, plus, trying to find an area to "open them up" is difficult where I live. My current team of the XR650L and the CB1100 are more realistic, I enjoy these two machines far more than I did the others....Maybe it's age, or that all I do all week is rush, rush, rush. I don't know, but I do know that I ride my current team about 200% more.
 
Rboe_imp said:
My Griso will smoke this bike, and not being governed will do about 150. Well beyond my pucker factor. Handling is better, motor feels better at freeway speeds but darn it, not nearly as comfortable. It is also sneaky fast if I'm not on top of it all the time. The CB has plenty of power, lets you know when it's going fast or accelerating. And so much easier to ride in town. Much more civilized. It has some poop, but it hides it rather well. The Griso likes to show it off. :)
Sounds just right to me.
 
Rboe_imp said:
My Griso will smoke this bike, and not being governed will do about 150. Well beyond my pucker factor. Handling is better, motor feels better at freeway speeds but darn it, not nearly as comfortable. It is also sneaky fast if I'm not on top of it all the time. The CB has plenty of power, lets you know when it's going fast or accelerating. And so much easier to ride in town. Much more civilized. It has some poop, but it hides it rather well. The Griso likes to show it off. :)
Rboe,

True, but the Griso will smoke most of the air cooled Ducati's as well with its 110 HP. But hey, it costs about 30% more than the CB11. IMO that is the best looking bike that Moto Guzzi has ever built and one I would certainly consider buying. Everybody knows what a Moto Guzzi is and looks like, but very few people have actually owned one (that includes me) and their exclusivity is one of the factors that makes them cool. Especially the Grizo.

Chip
 
Thread starter
My brother had a 73 850 Eldorado. It was a heck of a bike. Most comfortable seat Ive ever ridden on. Truly all day comfortable. I looked to buy a 750 Breva before I bought my Bonneville, but it 's lack of power, weak brakes and small looking cylinders didnt do it for me. I bet an 1100 big cylinder model would do it.
 
The ferret_imp said:
My brother had a 73 850 Eldorado. It was a heck of a bike. Most comfortable seat Ive ever ridden on. Truly all day comfortable. I looked to buy a 750 Breva before I bought my Bonneville, but it 's lack of power, weak brakes and small looking cylinders didnt do it for me. I bet an 1100 big cylinder model would do it.
i had an 1100 M/G Basso and M/G Griso! cool bikes with alotvof character but what I did not consider character was the agravvating dry clutch noise with the clutch lever pulled in R D driveline lash? Those two reasons why I don't own one today?
 
Thread starter
Lol don't buy a Ducati then. It is an irritating noise.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Lol don't buy a Ducati then. It is an irritating noise.
Yep it is the biggest reason I never bought a Ducati. They have wised up and Ducati has much longer valve checkup intervals and got rid of the dry clutch on some models.
 
All of this talk about Moto Guzzi's has prompted me to ask you guys a few questions. I started out riding Hondas and Kawasaki's. I currently have a Suzuki and soon a CB1100. All were extremely reliable (my most important requirement). But, over the last 35 or so years I have ridden BMW's. The older BMW's were extremely reliable as well but since the early 90's. the reliability of BMW's has dropped greatly, in my opinion (and Consumer Reports). It's like they are a whole different company compared to what they used to be. I figure it's bad management.

But, I have always been interested in the possibility of a Moto Guzzi but I have never known anyone who has owned one. I have never heard anyone testify or give an opinion as to the reliability of a Moto Guzzi. They really seem like a great bike. They would have to be pretty darn good to be as reliable as a Honda (or an OLD BMW). I would love to hear any experiences any of you have had, or any of your friends have had. Thanks!
 
Buffalohead_imp said:
All of this talk about Moto Guzzi's has prompted me to ask you guys a few questions. I started out riding Hondas and Kawasaki's. I currently have a Suzuki and soon a CB1100. All were extremely reliable (my most important requirement). But, over the last 35 or so years I have ridden BMW's. The older BMW's were extremely reliable as well but since the early 90's. the reliability of BMW's has dropped greatly, in my opinion (and Consumer Reports). It's like they are a whole different company compared to what they used to be. I figure it's bad management.

But, I have always been interested in the possibility of a Moto Guzzi but I have never known anyone who has owned one. I have never heard anyone testify or give an opinion as to the reliability of a Moto Guzzi. They really seem like a great bike. They would have to be pretty darn good to be as reliable as a Honda (or an OLD BMW). I would love to hear any experiences any of you have had, or any of your friends have had. Thanks!
Check out Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi. I believe you'll find all the answers you're looking for. I just read a thread about an owner parting out one of his bikes after 400,000 miles. But, just like any other European brand they have their quirks i.e. dry clutch chatter, sometimes hinky electronics, etc. I demo'd a Griso several years ago and the performance was awesome. The transmission shifted so smoothly and quietly I had to keep checking the gear indicator to make sure I actually shifted to the next gear.
 
Guzzi build quality has greatly improved that few years since Piaggio (sp?) took over. In the old days they took a bit of sorting the first year or so and then were good for 400,000+ miles.

They have a poor dealer network so you if prefer dealer support you need to be near one of the good ones. If you don't mind wrenching a bit you don't need no stinking dealer. :) Other than online parts ordering. Valve adjustment are quick and easy. Tranny and engine oil are separate.

The whole new V7 line is selling very well and the new 1400 California has come out of the gate with very good press and it appears good selling numbers (I think Honda makes more in a week that Guzzi sells world wide in a year); good numbers are relative mind you. :)

My first Guzzi was a Quota, sold it just after I got the Griso (fellow guzzi guy wanted it).

They are not for everybody, but they are a hoot, and it's nice to be on a bike you won't see everywhere.
This thread is a bit ironic as there is a CB1100 thread over on wildguzzi; some don't get it (they are Guzzi guys) but most do and at least one other guy besides me bought a 1100. Over half seem to own another brand of bike and just appreciate good iron.
 
I like Guzzis. But a word of caution. Last year the local dealership that carries Aprilia amongst thei offerings told me that Piaggio (Aprilia's parent company) was making things miserable for them (primarily from a service/parts standpoint). They were contemplating dropping the brand. Shortly afterwards I noticed that the local Triumph / MG dealership that has a good reputation, dropped the Guzzi line (a new dealership has recently started up elsewhere in this area.) While Piaggio might have done good things for the Guzzi brand, I'd be concerned about what they might be doing to their dealers.
 
Thread starter
When my brother bought his we were a Guzzi dealer. I could have had an original v7 for cost lol
Anyhow he put several universals in his but he was rough on it, pulling wheelies and burnouts. Wasn't made for that....and the car like exterior distributor drowned out on us in Georgia on a trip to Florida once, but they no longer have external electrics.

Funny the other day my brother asked where the nearest Guzzi dealer was, as he wanted to go look at them. I went to Guzzis website to their dealer locator and typed in my zip code. The website could not tell me where the nearest Guzzi dealers is..but I can tell you this..its not close!
 
I compare these 2 all the time. The KZ900 has been completely redone and runs fantastic and is close to as fast as the CB to 80 but then the CB takes over. The KZ is also just as smooth till ~ 7000 RPM's, maybe smoother. It's sound tho... the CB is left way behind. The Kaw just sounds amazingly mean.

 
Guth_imp said:
I like Guzzis. But a word of caution. Last year the local dealership that carries Aprilia amongst thei offerings told me that Piaggio (Aprilia's parent company) was making things miserable for them (primarily from a service/parts standpoint). They were contemplating dropping the brand. Shortly afterwards I noticed that the local Triumph / MG dealership that has a good reputation, dropped the Guzzi line (a new dealership has recently started up elsewhere in this area.) While Piaggio might have done good things for the Guzzi brand, I'd be concerned about what they might be doing to their dealers.
Yea, you can't give Piaggio too much credit for keeping the brand alive in the US. It's the handful of great dealers the deserve the credit. When I lived in Charlotte I'd visit Union Cycle (now closed) in Matthews a lot. Talking with Carl (the owner, now retired) He'd talk about some of the crazy things Piaggio would do that dove him nuts. Honestly, I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did without dropping Guzzi.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Guzzi build quality has greatly improved that few years since Piaggio (sp?) took over. In the old days they took a bit of sorting the first year or so and then were good for 400,000+ miles.

They have a poor dealer network so you if prefer dealer support you need to be near one of the good ones. If you don't mind wrenching a bit you don't need no stinking dealer. :) Other than online parts ordering. Valve adjustment are quick and easy. Tranny and engine oil are separate.

The whole new V7 line is selling very well and the new 1400 California has come out of the gate with very good press and it appears good selling numbers (I think Honda makes more in a week that Guzzi sells world wide in a year); good numbers are relative mind you. :)

My first Guzzi was a Quota, sold it just after I got the Griso (fellow guzzi guy wanted it).

They are not for everybody, but they are a hoot, and it's nice to be on a bike you won't see everywhere.
This thread is a bit ironic as there is a CB1100 thread over on wildguzzi; some don't get it (they are Guzzi guys) but most do and at least one other guy besides me bought a 1100. Over half seem to own another brand of bike and just appreciate good iron.
I agree with everything said except I think Honda makes more in one day than Guzzi sellsall year.
darmahman_imp said:
I compare these 2 all the time. The KZ900 has been completely redone and runs fantastic and is close to as fast as the CB to 80 but then the CB takes over. The KZ is also just as smooth till ~ 7000 RPM's, maybe smoother. It's sound tho... the CB is left way behind. The Kaw just sounds amazingly mean.
beautiful Kaw!
 
This is my good friends 1980 KZ1000 MK II that I get to ride when I'm in Chicago. ;) It's been a while (a few years) but if my memory serves me it is a bit faster than the CB but that would have a bit to do not only with the Kerker pipe, but the sprocket he has on it. Yes it's a tad loud, but damn it's a kick to ride!

857f622ab7d8ef7d2e9cadfe509c6664.jpg


2e9cf22c9ffca8e3e695a1db507addd0.jpg
 
Back
Top