Common problems experienced with CB1100 on road?

run-tmc_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
My personal opinion is that the list of issues encountered with our beloved Hondas is short and mostly maintenance not breakdowns, but I’m embarking on a road trip in two weeks for around 2,000 miles through MT and ID and thought I’d poll the membership as many of you have logged way more time in the saddle. For reference, my 2014 has approx 10,000 miles on it, tires still have lots of tread, had new plugs installed and the valves checked - shocker, they were perfect
9c00ea6a749ebeb41b4bb5c04a5154ae.png
- changed the oil since then and tightened the chain. In short, the bike feels like it’s running like a top. Do you guys have any suggestions for tools to bring for commonly encountered roadside problems?

If I get a flat, I’m going to use the ‘fill and inflate’ can and limp to the nearest shop for a proper fix. I was also going to pack an extra clutch and front brake lever just in case one is broken, lingering precaution from my MX days. Otherwise, I plan to bring 8-12 mm sockets and wrenches, zip ties, wire, pliers, a few Allen sockets, chain cleaner and lube and a jerrycan full of gas. Anything else fellas?

Thanks!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Basic tools, chain lube and an emergency puncture kit is pretty much all I take. Been enough so far.

Touch wood.
 
Common Problems:
1. Excessive Grinning
2. The Joy of the open road and the music of the motor.
3. Admiring onlookers
4. The inevitable onlooker question; "How long did it take you to restore it?"
5. And everything said above.
Enjoy the trip.
Jim
 
I always carry a wet micro cloth in a Ziploc bag to clean my helmet visor.
At the end of the day it can be used to clean the headlight.

I always carry extra ear plugs, and an extra pair of gloves in case the first set get wet in the rain.

I once read about an Australian rider who lost his wallet from his back pocket on the first day of a long journey. He could not buy gas, so he was stranded. Without a credit card he could not arrange for accommodation. Since then I always have my wallet in the zippered pocket of my leather jacket. If I get that anxious feeling that I may have left it on a counter somewhere, I can reach down and reassure myself it safely stowed away.
 
Like Nortoon, I always carry my wallet in a zip pocket on my jacket, or armored vest. I also do the same with my cell phone ( dont forget your charger ). Although many other things listed in replies are good to have, if you did not have anything else those two thing can get you through most anything in a pinch.
 
Nortoon_imp said:
I always carry a wet micro cloth in a Ziploc bag to clean my helmet visor.
At the end of the day it can be used to clean the headlight.

I always carry extra ear plugs, and an extra pair of gloves in case the first set get wet in the rain.

I once read about an Australian rider who lost his wallet from his back pocket on the first day of a long journey. He could not buy gas, so he was stranded. Without a credit card he could not arrange for accommodation. Since then I always have my wallet in the zippered pocket of my leather jacket. If I get that anxious feeling that I may have left it on a counter somewhere, I can reach down and reassure myself it safely stowed away.
It almost happened to me.
Years ago I always carried my wallet in my left rear pocket when I rode. One day, for some reason, I reached back to check my wallet. It had wiggled out and was almost ready to take flight.
Since then, I too keep it inside my jacket in a zippered pocket and I often check just to know it's there.
 
My tour kit consists of tire plugs, small 12V compressor, jumper cables, cell phone, and a credit card. I don't typically bring tools, spare parts, or chain lube. If I get caught in the rain I might buy some WD-40 or engine oil to smear on the chain, but otherwise I don't worry about it. Honda reliability aside, I'm not sure there's much I could fix with simple hand tools on the side of the road anyway, nor would I have the knowledge. But to your kit, since you are bringing tools, you may want to also bring the service manual.
 
AAA card with motorcycle coverage.

Last year I was stranded in the middle of nowhere with a malfunctioning kill switch. Called AAA and the bike was loaded up and headed for the nearest Honda shop wthin 40 min.

I carry a patch kit, tire pump and the standard toolkit under the seat. If I can't fix it with that, I'm calling in the big guns
67a3a64bd54746e69145f21a9c5154eb.png


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Tool wise I carry a plug kit, small high PSI hand pump and small crescent wrench plus 2-3 other small tools on the bike 24/7. Whether I was going 2,000 miles or coast to coast the only thing I'd add is a can of chain wax to lube the chain every 500 miles and off I'd go. What that small assembly of tools can't handle my debit card covers.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for all your input. I think the zippered pocket idea is a good one to have in mind . Tires are not original, picked up Michelin RP3s last year after rave reviews from many members on the forum. I will probably pack more than enough tools/chemicals, but my buddy brings the tent so I gotta do something to share the load! Thanks for your feedback folks, much appreciated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
run-tmc_imp said:
Thanks for all your input. I think the zippered pocket idea is a good one to have in mind . Tires are not original, picked up Michelin RP3s last year after rave reviews from many members on the forum. I will probably pack more than enough tools/chemicals, but my buddy brings the tent so I gotta do something to share the load! Thanks for your feedback folks, much appreciated


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carry the booze for him. :D
 
I think I’d include a first-aid kit.

Just realized that I may have repeated Cormanus’s suggestion in Post #13
 
A few items to pack for long trips
Nortoon_imp said:
I always carry a wet micro cloth in a Ziploc bag to clean my helmet visor.
At the end of the day it can be used to clean the headlight.

I always carry extra ear plugs, and an extra pair of gloves in case the first set get wet in the rain.

I once read about an Australian rider who lost his wallet from his back pocket on the first day of a long journey. He could not buy gas, so he was stranded. Without a credit card he could not arrange for accommodation. Since then I always have my wallet in the zippered pocket of my leather jacket. If I get that anxious feeling that I may have left it on a counter somewhere, I can reach down and reassure myself it safely stowed away.
I don't clean the visor with anything if there is no clean running water at hand. I dislike micro-scratched foggy visor surface more than I dislike a few dead insects on it.

Small amount of money rolled up in a metal cylinder in the toolkit pouch.

On a long trip, I carry a 50-100cc bottle filled with SAE80 oil and a 1/4" flat brush to lubricate the chain at the end of each day.

I am always surprised by how few motorcyclists carry a decent first-aid kit. I really don't understand jurisdictions that do no make carrying one mandatory, or the motorcycle makers that do not provide the space for one on the bike.

A dozen of 4", strong cable ties.

Lanyard for the ignition key. On a trip, the ignition key is on one of only three places: in the lock, in my hand or on the lanyard around my neck. (And yes, this includes the time i'm in bed. The system is only violated when I'm in the shower... :)

No mobile telephone. (It is against my religion to carry one).
 
I was handed down a old flip-top cell phone when my wife bought a new modern one. It is only on and carried when I ride my CB1100 or walk the nature trail in the winter in case of an accident.

It did come in handy one day about an hour into my day ride on my CB500XA. The bike stalled to a stop in a rural area. Despite having more than a quarter century of motor cycle experience, I could not determine the cause of the problem. I called my dealer and they picked up me and my bike an hour later.

The sound the bike made kept gnawing at me. Waking the next morning I remembered what it was. It was the same sound my Pinto made when it popped its spark plugs after the radiator thermostat failed and the motor overheated.

A minute later the dealer called saying my bike was ready. I asked him, "I was the spark plugs right?" He say yes. I said look on your computer for the very recent valve check and spark plug replacement. I then told him I was not paying for the $100 pick-up or the repair costs, and would call the manager if that was a problem. They called me back a minute later, saying there would be no cost for me. I guess they didn't want the manager knowing they had screwed up.

Cell phones if used properly can be an efficient tool, especially in an emergency situation away from home.
 
If the chain is properly adjusted and lubed when you leave you should be good. I always bring a tire plug kit and rain gear on trips. Regardless of the weather prediction. The former has saved me a couple times, the latter more times than I can count.
 
After being caught riding due west at sunset a few times, I now carry 'grip tape.' Never heard of it until a few weeks ago when I went searching for an external visor for my modular. A couple of 1'' bands across the top cures what my tinted visor and sunglasses won't. Peels of easily when I get home.
 
Back
Top