Coming Back to CB1100

Toro5xi_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Sold my 2014 CB1100 in 2016 because of a move from Ohio to Georgia and the belief I just had too many bikes, well my families belief.

I ended up keeping a 2014 Vstrom 1000 and Honda Hawk Gt. Well now I just have the Honda Hawk but really miss having a bigger modern bike in the garage.
I enjoyed the power, comfort and lighter weight of the Vstrom but was spoiled by the transmission of the CB.

I am between 2 bikes and would like to hold onto this one for a long time. I can't decide between the BMW RnineT and 2017 CB1100.

I have only had Japanese bikes starting with a Honda QA50 in the late 60's and am afraid I have grown too accustomed to wet clutches and Japanese quality to enjoy switching to a dry clutch.

I have read many reviews of the R nine T talking about the uniqueness and allure of the BMW transmission. It sounds like if you grew up with dry clutches and agricultural transmissions than it is all part of the experience.

The transmission in the Vstrom was not terrible but certainly less smooth than the Honda CB and I am concerned the BMW will be even more of a pronounced difference.

I really like the lighter weight and horsepower of the BMW but would really like to hear from others who have maybe made the switch from a wet clutch to a dry clutch and how hard it was to adjust. At my age learning new tricks is not as fun as it used to be.

Thanks for any input.
 
Have you been able to ride the RnineT?
 
I've owned many BMW's and Moto-Guzzi's with dry clutches. Unless you're planning to drag race the bike, there's really no difference in feel or behavior, plus you can run automotive-grade oil in the crankcase without worrying about your clutch plates. I wouldn't sweat it. Ride the BMW and then decide.
 
IMO The clutch/transmission doesn't even make the "Top 10" list of things to worry about on a BMW......................No such list exists for the CB1100.
 
The R9T may just be the bike for you. Ride one. I made the switch from BMW's (2 K100's) to Hondas. I am not going back. The Honda's just suited me better. How else does one explain the common modifications inflicted on HD's? It is just a personal choice and fit.
IMHO
Jim
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
RnineT is a seductively compelling ride. Agreed with others, just test ride.
Thanks for the feed back. Closest dealer to me is a couple hours away. I guess if I don’t at least test drive a R nine T I’m always gonna wonder.
 
Toro5xi_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
RnineT is a seductively compelling ride. Agreed with others, just test ride.
Thanks for the feed back. Closest dealer to me is a couple hours away. I guess if I don’t at least test drive a R nine T I’m always gonna wonder.
Thanks for the feed back. Closest dealer to me is a couple hours away. I guess if I don’t at least test drive a R nine T I’m always gonna wonder.
Or have faith in the CB1100 Forum. :)

I reckon you have also perused the BMW RnineT Forums?

But yeah, nothing beats the real deal.
 
Toro5xi_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
RnineT is a seductively compelling ride. Agreed with others, just test ride.
Thanks for the feed back. Closest dealer to me is a couple hours away. I guess if I don’t at least test drive a R nine T I’m always gonna wonder.
Thanks for the feed back. Closest dealer to me is a couple hours away. I guess if I don’t at least test drive a R nine T I’m always gonna wonder.
BMW dealers are generally quite good about test rides, unlike Japanese ones. Worth the trip I’d say!

While I’ve heard that the older BMW dry clutches were fairly agricultural, the RNineT uses the same unit as the “Camhead” R1200s, which was the best of the lot. Interestingly enough, while the CB1100’s clutch is incredibly precise and smooth, it’s been engineered for a retro style feel and has a more deliberate engagement then the wet clutch in my Tenere.

Of course, you could also save a bundle and look for a Camhead R1200R - which I think looks better then the RNineT and is the same running gear underneath. The R1200R Classic is an especially gorgeous roadster, with its deep metallic black and subtle pinstriping.
 
Thread starter
I’ve spent time on the RnineT forums and they are certainly open about both the good and maybe not so good on the RnineT.
It was good to hear BMW dealers are good about test drives.
To be honest I was being lazy and somewhat thinking people may tell me going from a wet clutch to a dry clutch is taking a step backward in relation to feel and ease of use especially since the CB1100 transmission seems so precise and easy to use.
 
You already owned the 2014 version of the CB so there isn't much I could advise you on there. At one time you had multiple bikes and made the decision to let the CB go instead of something else. That should tell you something. I like the R9T and have sat on the Scrambler/Café/ and a couple of other versions/derivatives they currently crank out (but have never ridden one). Chances are I'd like it, a lot, as I like all brands and styles of motorcycles in general (and air cooled motors in particular).

I would just point out the following:

1) Whatever version you would get would you leave it stock? If not...
2) Would the aftermarket support turning it into whatever vision you have?
3) Have you looked at the ownership cost difference in maintenance? You may or may not care about this.
4) Ease of accessing that maintenance when required (location/distance availability of a BMW dealer). Say you have a falling out....what's the NEXT nearest BMW dealer?

I like this paint scheme a lot and mentioned in another thread had this a painted to match bullet (café) style fairing on it I might have done something very impulsive. Also liked the bone stock version from a year or two ago of the R9T with the old BMW throw back grey paint.

f0a5f769a216e9d526e2f87cbb93a745.jpg
 
The 2017 has a new, slipper clutch too, but it seems to me there is no substitute for taking them both for a ride and seeing which you prefer. It’s only tough if you like them both equally.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The 2017 has a new, slipper clutch too, but it seems to me there is no substitute for taking them both for a ride and seeing which you prefer. It’s only tough if you like them both equally.
Im guessing you could buy 2 or 3 CB1100s for the price of the BMW?
 
Thread starter
Frulk raises a good point that I had a CB before and sold it. I have thought about that but it wouldn’t be the first bike I have done that with. I have had 2 Dr650’s, 2 Bandits, 1 air cooled 1 liquid cooled, mutltiple Hawk GT’s etc. I know I have wasted lots of money buying bikes and flipping them but what can I say? It’s an addiction.
If cost and practicality were the only considerations I think the CB is a no brainer but really struggling with this one.
1 thing I have always liked about this forum is the openness to different opinions and knowledge levels. Some guys like to restore, some guys like to customize, some guys like horsepower. There really is no right or wrong.
 
I would strongly advise to test a 2017 , even better than the earlier ones although perhaps the 2014 DLX is the best looking one.
 
For what it's worth, I have both a 2017 CB1100EX and a 2018 R Nine T Urban GS. I tried out all of the R Nine T variants (standard, pure, scrambler, Urban GS and racer). Of the variants, I prefer the Urban GS and pure. The racer was just not practical with its riding position, the scrambler just felt wrong and for whatever reason and the standard didn't have soul to me.... But that's just personal preference.

I love my Urban GS and I'm never getting rid of it, but if I had to have just a single bike, it'd be the 2017 CB100EX hands down. For me, it's the better all around bike.

Regarding the clutch though, I never thought much about the technology, but the CB100 and the R Nine T clutches seem pretty equivalent in real world operation....
 
For me, the bike that fits me better regardless of shaft vs chain, wet vs dry clutch, inline four vs a twin of some sort. On the subjective side, the bikes' looks have to speak to me. Totally irrational of course and it's probably based on models you grew up with and in many cases I think it holds the number one spot in our list of why we buy a particular bike over another.

So get the bike that ticks most of your boxes; if that means you have to have the R nine T AND the CB so be it. :D I'll add, it sounds like you may be a Moto Guzzi Griso kinda guy - no longer made but new old stock is out there as well as very nice used models.
 
Thread starter
I have looked at the Griso several times. Something about the exposed cylinders on both the Guzzi and the BMW.
I couldn’t agree more that the bikes we grew up with seem to have the greatest appeal. I can barely ride a sport bike anymore without looking like an old fat guy in biker shorts at the Golden Corral but any time I see Interceptor 500 on eBay its all I can do not to put in a bid.
 
Back
Top