Come on baby, shred my tyaaars. (Dragon and BRP)

Pterodactyl_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Turning up at a CB rally with an FJR is like turning up at a party with, well.... errrr .... ahhh .... ummm. Methinks that it is best left to your own imagination. You will note that in the group photos at the rally the FJR, and Cormanus’ ST, were quietly pushed aside. Bit like the mad aunts at a family gathering. However that is not the point. On taking delivery of the FJR at Eaglerider Marietta I did a walk around with the store manager. One of the things I did note was the condition of the tyres (tires?). Well, they were good, looked on the right side of half-life with good grooving all the way to the centre (center?). Please note that I am endeavouring to become familiar with the North American spelling conventions, just so we are all on the same page, so to speak.

A day later, under the guidance of ride4now, I was gradually getting the “wrong side of the road” under control and by the time we had wended our way up to Neels Gap I had a reasonable appreciation of the FJR. Not as nimble as a VFR750, or quite as torquey as the CB, but agile enough and with more than adequate power. Keep the revs up and the power coming on when established in the corners and it was a lot of fun.

So three days later I had had a lot of fun. Just under a 1000miles added to the FJR. On the Sunday, Cormanus and I followed SanPete up the Blue Ridge Parkway. I was feeling a little slow. My 70 year old brain and body, despite a lifetime of almost puritanically healthy living and total devotion to asceticism, was becoming a little weary. But that was not my main concern. I felt, when nicely established in those wonderful BRP sweepers, that if I tightened up the line with any vigour (vigor?) the back end seemed to slide a little. Nothing serious but just more than necessary.

After saying goodbye to SanPete we made our way back to Stechoah. At one stage we encountered some heavy rain. A passing thunder storm. Cormanus was leading and for one reason or another came to a halt, a red light maybe. I applied brakes and noted that deceleration was not quite as effective as expected and that the ABS was operating. My line was to his left side so I wasn’t going to rear end him but I did stop about a half wheel length alongside him. This was not real good. Unnerving in fact.
On reaching the Iron Horse I took a shufti at the rear tyre (tire?) and guess what?

41e0f342364f89e686b043c7c1d95ed4.jpg


After another couple of hundred miles on Monday, including the Dragon, the rear end was becoming quite active. On Tuesday we checked out of the Iron Horse and I had the rear changed at Wheelers in Robinsville when it looked like this:

f67b6bc135310b31b6a3d5c2e0a03896.jpg


As an aside this tyre (tire?) is a ContiMotion. Continental make some beaut products however the ContiMotion is described, by Continental, as a “Sport Touring radial for the price conscious rider”. Get what you pay for I guess.

Both Eddie at Eaglerider and Ken Wheeler couldn’t do enough to help. They were fantastic. I rolled into Wheelers and around thirty minutes later I saw this, a Bridgestone Battlax.

920107dd34e961c78a4523d34fd30e26.jpg


I scrubbed the Battlax in on 129 south out of Robinsville. At our first stop Cormanus commented, “Got your dancing shoes on again?” Yes, I had.


Cheers
 
What did they say when you returned the bike with a new(ish) tire on it?
 
Thread starter
Not a thing. They (Eddie at Eaglerider) took my word that the Conti was gone and arranged the changeover at Wheelers at their own expense. Can't ask for much more than that.

Cheers
 
Small things give one comfort. Having observed how Pterodactyl goes about managing his

Quote:... lifetime of almost puritanically healthy living and total devotion to asceticism ...
I realize it's not too far from my lifetime commitment to indolence, decadence and debauchery.

I'm sure Vegemite helps, although I'm unlikely ever to reach Pterodactyl's tyre-shredding abilities.
 
70 and shredding tires on a liter bike. You are my hero ( well after Rocky). I can only hope I am riding as well when I get to that advanced age.
 
I remember when the ContiMotion came out , a real budget tire. Not one I would have recommended for a FJR.
The FJRs are known as a real tire eater.
 
Eaglerider sounds like a fine outfit. I nominate Ptero, by virtue of his proven tire shredding prowess, official tire tread life tester for the forum.
 
Funny how things come back to you and what seemed curious becomes very clear. Having just got home from straddling the Prime Meridian and inspecting the chronometer that finally made easy the calculation of latitude, I was making a cup of tea in the flat I'm renting. I thought I could read some forum posts before wandering up the road to the pub. As I made my way to my chair, I heard the howl of a sports bike and was reminded that, in spite of the diminishing tread on the FJR's rear tyre, Pterodactyl had made mincemeat of the Dragon on the day after the rally broke up. We headed back down 129 towards Robbinsville and stopped at the bottom of the Chedah Dam to make some technical adjustment or another.

The tranquility was suddenly and violently disturbed by the howl of a sports bike heading north up 129. It's not much of a corner, but he had the knee down and must have been doing between 100-120 mph. He shot across the river, dropped it a couple of gears and vanished up the hill towards Deals Gap. I looked at Pterodactyl and saw a glint in his eye.

Only now do I understand why he had to have a new rear tyre.
 
Wow, good catch on the bad tire! Never thought thought about a rental letting one out the door on a worn out tire.

I've been reading when everyone is changing out the tires on the CB....the earliest I think I saw was about 6000, the latest about 18,000....so I figures I'd start checking about 6000.

What mileage is everyone changing: Front? Rear?
 
Thread starter
offroadfx4_imp said:
Wow, good catch on the bad tire! Never thought thought about a rental letting one out the door on a worn out tire.

I've been reading when everyone is changing out the tires on the CB....the earliest I think I saw was about 6000, the latest about 18,000....so I figures I'd start checking about 6000.

What mileage is everyone changing: Front? Rear?
Please, I may not have made myself clear in my OP. The tyre was good coming out of Eaglerider. I took a good look at it and thought it would have a few thousand miles left in it, at least. I think a few days of chasing CBs on the Dragon and the BRP were too much for a Contimotion. As Ken Wheeler said, "some of those roads are high adhesion". When I phoned Eaglerider they did not hesitate to authorise a change at their expense. No fault at all on Eaglerider's part.

Cheers
 
You did make yourself clear in the OP. Where you didn't make yourself clear was at Eaglerider. Had they known how you were going to attack them twisties at the dragon and scrape some knees they would have changed it from the start. It was far removed from their mind that a bloke from down under was such an excellent spirit rider. Regardless, they did right in replacing the tire without hesitation. Thumbs-up for good service.
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Wow, good catch on the bad tire! Never thought thought about a rental letting one out the door on a worn out tire.

I've been reading when everyone is changing out the tires on the CB....the earliest I think I saw was about 6000, the latest about 18,000....so I figures I'd start checking about 6000.

What mileage is everyone changing: Front? Rear?
I changed mine out just before the rally at about 5,500, but that was my choice. The tires were looking a little tired and I couldn't see the wisdom of trying to stretch extra miles out of a set of tires when I was that far from home.
 
Thread starter
SanPete_imp said:
You did make yourself clear in the OP. Where you didn't make yourself clear was at Eaglerider. Had they known how you were going to attack them twisties at the dragon and scrape some knees they would have changed it from the start. It was far removed from their mind that a bloke from down under was such an excellent spirit rider. Regardless, they did right in replacing the tire without hesitation. Thumbs-up for good service.
Me, knee down? More likely bike down and then :hello:

Cheers
 
offroadfx4_imp said:
Wow, good catch on the bad tire! Never thought thought about a rental letting one out the door on a worn out tire.

I've been reading when everyone is changing out the tires on the CB....the earliest I think I saw was about 6000, the latest about 18,000....so I figures I'd start checking about 6000.

What mileage is everyone changing: Front? Rear?
Sorry, should have done a search first....link about tire wear here:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....097&page=3
 
Back
Top