Clip-ons and Flyscreen.

kmoney_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Just thought I'd put up a quick post of my work on the front end so far. All that really remains is to get my Rizoma Club turn-signals installed and she's basically buttoned up as far as controls.

f3ed119986bb06d8e520f615f59a063f.jpg
[/URL]

ef46f75a4f1c98450a43c8e0a95bd68c.jpg
[/URL]

3725ae081869a1e7a533bc5a59ab69e3.jpg
[/URL]

4827a78f999e223fab2d5ce337868bfc.jpg
[/URL]

edbe990b47c74e41d3e0c2fd164c65ec.jpg
[/URL]


Just some more detail on the clipons:

They're just 41mm Woodcraft raised clip-ons.

Off the bat: These bars do hit the tank. I knew they would and don't really care -- I just put two small circles of 3M PPF where they hit, and I don't miss any of the steering I lost except for when literally walking the bike backwards out of my garage.

For me the ergonomics of adding these were awesome. I'm 6'4", and riding the CB with stock bars and no windscreen basically turned me into a sail. With these I end up semi tucked and perfectly streamlined behind the screen. In terms of weight on wrists and wind, it's basically like riding a very comfortable sportbike (think f4i or K5 GSXR 1k). You can still definitely out-ride the tank range with these and I can still do 7-800km day-trips no problem.

There is no cable rerouting required on the clutch side and only the front brake line needs to be adjusted (it looks weird in the one pic, but it's not pinched and not really more constrained than stock). The final nice thing is that you can fit the stock Honda vibration dampers and bar ends in these bars. Just clone the holes into the new bars and they press right in and work excellent. As seen in the pic, I have stock bar ends machined to accept CRG mirrors and they are the best I've ever had -- zero vibration at any speed.

This setup could likely be made to work without hitting. Woodcraft makes a 10mm adapter you can buy that would move the handlebars forward from their clamps. This would allow them to clear the pinch bolt on top of the tripple tree and be clocked farther forward. If you combined this with a higher riser (these are a 2", they also come in 2.5" and 3"), I would give you very good odds of clearing the tank. I have good macro photos of what I mean if anyone is interested or wants to try this.
 
Kmoney, that is a really nice solution! It looks really good and it sounds like you have achieved a high comfort level.
 
Thanks to kmoney's help, I finished the bars on mine.





Waiting for the grip adhesive to dry right now, but boy does it feel perfect! :clap:

I couldn't get the honda bar-end weights to fit though; the inner diameter was just a little smaller than the stock bars so the rubber washers around the weights wouldn't squeeze in. Maybe i'll take off the rubber and rig some electrical tape or something to get it to fit, or just order the ones Woodcraft makes.

ETA: and i need to clean up the cables/wires a little bit, but it'll do for now until the flyscreen comes in.
 
Looks like its been a while since anyone posted in this thread but found something interesting for those looking for a good set of clicp on's. I have been looking to put on a set of clip-on's myself next month (another 6'4" owner here) and I was reading about a '13 cb1100 I saw on the internet where he found this set and was able to install without them hitting the tank he said. Has anyone seen these and installed them? I think I'm going to buy them next month, Tried DCC shorty clubman's last summer and just couldn't get the wrist angle comfortable and they still touched the tank...

I think these bars (link below) have the highest adjustment ability out of all that I'v seen out there, I have even been pondering whether they could be installed upside down on opposite fork tubes to get an ever lower stance on the bike which is what I want since I'm fairly tall, the only thing that could be an issue with the upside down install is whether they are locked in place or not after adjusted to my liking, wouldn't want them slipping out on a ride lol.

Also I have been thinking that if I'm going to spend $250 on these bars why not find a set of CBR600RR or 1000RR USD forks and have them swapped in by a shop, you can have Cognito Moto make the stem to press into the CBR Triples and go with a CBR front wheel and calipers but the APEX clip on's might still be needed for tank clearance issue's to be solved with these forks. Anyways just thought I'd pass along these Ideas and If I follow through with them I'll create a separate thread in the future if and when it's finished. CycleSpot in New Zealand (check they're facebook page for photo's) have done this and the bike looks amazing, they won the CB1100 build off even that happened a little while ago that Honda hosted, pretty much the example I want my CB1100 to mirror. Let me know what you guys think.

Apex 7/8" Bar / 3" Riser Clip-on Set


The red CB1100 has the APEX Clip on's and the Grey CB1100 is the Cycle Spot bike from Cycle Spot New Zealand which both of which I mentioned in my previous post, just found the pics of these bikes which always helps :beerchug:
 
Garver_imp said:
Looks like its been a while since anyone posted in this thread but found something interesting for those looking for a good set of clicp on's. I have been looking to put on a set of clip-on's myself next month (another 6'4" owner here) and I was reading about a '13 cb1100 I saw on the internet where he found this set and was able to install without them hitting the tank he said. Has anyone seen these and installed them? I think I'm going to buy them next month, Tried DCC shorty clubman's last summer and just couldn't get the wrist angle comfortable and they still touched the tank...

I think these bars (link below) have the highest adjustment ability out of all that I'v seen out there, I have even been pondering whether they could be installed upside down on opposite fork tubes to get an ever lower stance on the bike which is what I want since I'm fairly tall, the only thing that could be an issue with the upside down install is whether they are locked in place or not after adjusted to my liking, wouldn't want them slipping out on a ride lol.

Also I have been thinking that if I'm going to spend $250 on these bars why not find a set of CBR600RR or 1000RR USD forks and have them swapped in by a shop, you can have Cognito Moto make the stem to press into the CBR Triples and go with a CBR front wheel and calipers but the APEX clip on's might still be needed for tank clearance issue's to be solved with these forks. Anyways just thought I'd pass along these Ideas and If I follow through with them I'll create a separate thread in the future if and when it's finished. CycleSpot in New Zealand (check they're facebook page for photo's) have done this and the bike looks amazing, they won the CB1100 build off even that happened a little while ago that Honda hosted, pretty much the example I want my CB1100 to mirror. Let me know what you guys think.

Apex 7/8" Bar / 3" Riser Clip-on Set


The red CB1100 has the APEX Clip on's and the Grey CB1100 is the Cycle Spot bike from Cycle Spot New Zealand which both of which I mentioned in my previous post, just found the pics of these bikes which always helps :beerchug:
Those look to be a good option. The bars adjust independently from the tube clamps, so you can clock them out to avoid the tank. The woodcraft clip-ons can only be clocked from the tube clamp, so they'll contact the bridge, really limiting how much you can adjust them.

Don't install these upside down. There's no keeper on the riser. If the riser clamp bolt backs off you'll lose the bar completely. If the riser clamp bolt backs off when these are installed normally, you'll just drop the bar to the tube clamp, but at least you'd have a chance to hold on.
 
Yeah that's what I figured, Guess I'll probably end up with an aftermarket headlight bracket which I also have been thinking about to give it that strait line across profile a cafe has. To me the headlight placement is a tad to high compared to the position of the tank. So I'll probably just move the headlight down to where I want it (see Moriwaki Cafe below) and slide the clip-on down the tubes some for the lower stance. :thumbsup:

 
Garver_imp said:
Yeah that's what I figured, Guess I'll probably end up with an aftermarket headlight bracket which I also have been thinking about to give it that strait line across profile a cafe has. To me the headlight placement is a tad to high compared to the position of the tank. So I'll probably just move the headlight down to where I want it (see Moriwaki Cafe below) and slide the clip-on down the tubes some for the lower stance. :thumbsup:
Good plan. Let me know how you like those Apex clip-ons. That may be exactly what I need.
 
Thread starter
That Cyclespot bike looks awesome. I constantly troll ebay and the local wreckers for a cheap set of Ohlins/Brembos off a wrecked Duc or similar to keep in reserve for a fork swap down the road.

That swingarm and monoshock conversion is awesome though, I'd be curious how much fab work was involved, it looks like most of the frame survived uncut.
 
Yeah I commented on their Facebook page where they had these photo's posted asking if they could share all that was involved with the swing arm and fork swap on this build, hopefully they'll be nice and share their secrets, I could only imagine what this thing is like to ride after an ecu reflash, pod filters, exhaust and the suspension/bars mods, wow.... , I think I'll start a new thread and reach out to them in hopes they join the forum and spill they're guts on the whole build and post on the thread.
 
Thread starter
I'm 90% sure it's a CBR1000rr swingarm, the front forks are off one.

3af22ac7ac2f75e0e7fd622af09364bf.jpg


I can see getting the arm and the wishbone in there being just a matter of spacers and adapter bearings, as for the shock mount though -- hmmmm.
 
kmoney_imp said:
I'm 90% sure it's a CBR1000rr swingarm, the front forks are off one.

3af22ac7ac2f75e0e7fd622af09364bf.jpg


I can see getting the arm and the wishbone in there being just a matter of spacers and adapter bearings, as for the shock mount though -- hmmmm.

The rules of the competition stated they had to use only Honda or one off parts. I'd say that should bump up your 90% guess a little bit. Also means the front shocks should be Honda as well, though they may have had to machine their own trees. If it is just a bearing swap or modified stem, it would be easier to duplicate. Companies like "Cognito Moto" have been doing it with older bikes for a while now. Really wish there was more info/pictures on the build readily available.
 
Kmoney, Good find on the information on the rules they had in place for the competition, I didn't know they were restricted to using only Honda parts, that narrows down a lot of questions as to what was bolt on and what was machined. I'm guessing then that nothing was fabricated custom to fit on this bike, the only thing someone brought up in my thread I opened for the Cycle Spot CB1100 is someone mentioned the lean/angle range and whether or not the bike would scrape more with these mods since it will be lower to the ground, but good work.
btw I think I'm going to go with the apex clip on's and slide the forks up in the triples an inch for now. I'll replace the fork springs and rear suspension afterwards possibly this winter, just wanted the lower stance to ride with for this season.
 
Back
Top