Click/Knock

Its funny, yesterday I cruised NC700, FZ 07, FZ 09 and FJ09 forums, and on almost all of them besides being unhappy with their stock seats and windshields (plus other various issues) , on every one of those forums, members were complaining about various motor noises they were hearing which they were sure signalled impending doom to their motorcycles. Ticks, rattles, metal on metal noises..... Many of which were met with responses of "that's not right take it to the dealer,", to "they all do that, don't worry about it".

Maybe Monday, I will check out the Vstrom and Versys 650 forums..I'm sure there is one bike being made out there that is comfortable, has great wind protection and doesn't make any wierd noises right from the factory lol
 
Ferrealls_imp said:
veech_imp said:
If you think bikers are nit picky, you should try musicians!


If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....


If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....

:rofl: I am imagining all kinds of responses here
 
Ferrealls_imp said:
veech_imp said:
If you think bikers are nit picky, you should try musicians!


If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try entomologists ...
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Ferrealls_imp said:
veech_imp said:
If you think bikers are nit picky, you should try musicians!


If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try entomologists ...
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try engineers....
If you think musicians are nit picky, you should try entomologists ...
Great George.:rofl:
 
On the one hand musicians can hear everything, if they want to, 'cause they need to.
On the other they can partly close their ears, 'cause sometimes
it is better not to hear everything. They're trained in selective perception.

My Honda really needs no special ears. Until now it always tells the
same story, I'm running smooth and satisfying.This satisfies me.
No extraordinary sounds involved.

Wisedrum
 
This is why auto manufacturers put sound soak material between the passenger compartment and mechanicals of the vehicle. It would drive the occupants of the vehicle crazy to hear all the mechanical noise. And once you start thinking about what you are hearing, you hearing increases 900 percent. Take a naked bike and ride for awhile then put a larger wind screen on the bike... the noises from the engine bounce off the wind screen and seem to magnify. I personally would be miserable if I heard all these strange noises and would buy some ear plugs.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Its funny, yesterday I cruised NC700, FZ 07, FZ 09 and FJ09 forums, and on almost all of them besides being unhappy with their stock seats and windshields (plus other various issues) , on every one of those forums, members were complaining about various motor noises they were hearing which they were sure signalled impending doom to their motorcycles. Ticks, rattles, metal on metal noises..... Many of which were met with responses of "that's not right take it to the dealer,", to "they all do that, don't worry about it".

Maybe Monday, I will check out the Vstrom and Versys 650 forums..I'm sure there is one bike being made out there that is comfortable, has great wind protection and doesn't make any wierd noises right from the factory lol
A versys? Hahahaa.....
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
David, what has been vibrating is the wire harness connectors in the headlight shell. Just wrap some thin foam sheeting or whatever you think best and most likely your noise will disappear. Mine did, and I think everyone else's has.
Thanks! I'll check that out. :)
xNE0x_imp said:
It's a known issue, and one I would not worry yourself over.

Yes, it sounds bad but I've yet to see / read / hear of anyone having any sort of failure over it.
Yeah, seems to be, what was bothering me is that it hasn't always done it. I've got a little over 14k miles and the noises weren't noticeable until the last 2k or so. Not terribly worried, but it is annoying.

Thanks :)
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Dave that is where the balancer is. There is a procedure to adjust it, but like xNE0x says, I wouldn't worry yourself over it.
I saw that in the service manual, have been considering adjusting it, but I don't think it's the cam chain or drive that's making the noises. I'm not overly worried, just want to figure out what it is.

Thanks,

David
Toddman_imp said:
I think you are hearing the cam drive train. Since these bikes are not water cooled, you will hear noises that you've never heard. I think the "whining" that's talked about is that cool, old style whistle that is so endearing to these inline fours. My KZs all did it and personally, I like it.
Hi Toddman,

I like it too, Had a Z-1, and a CB-900, both of them made the whirring sounds from the cam drive. Our CB-1100's do too, part of the character of the bike. Love it. :)

Thanks,

David
 
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well that would be nice Bob, but it is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system.

I might have misunderstood. The fuel pump sound is when you turn on the key, then it stops. What other whine? Maybe you are not on your CB, but on an ST. Now that whines!
I hear it when I'm rolling to a stop or idling along slow, though I expect it is there always but hidden by other noise at higher speeds. It's a high whine. I'll have to take a ride and listen to whether it is effected by RPM and whatnot. It'll be a while as it's raining now.
Bob
I hear it when I'm rolling to a stop or idling along slow, though I expect it is there always but hidden by other noise at higher speeds. It's a high whine. I'll have to take a ride and listen to whether it is effected by RPM and whatnot. It'll be a while as it's raining now.
Bob I heard that high pitched whine yesterday for the first time. I actually thought it was coming from somewhere else, not my bike. It was not there before yesterday.
 
capttwb136_imp said:
Inhouse Bob_imp said:
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Well that would be nice Bob, but it is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system.

I might have misunderstood. The fuel pump sound is when you turn on the key, then it stops. What other whine? Maybe you are not on your CB, but on an ST. Now that whines!
I hear it when I'm rolling to a stop or idling along slow, though I expect it is there always but hidden by other noise at higher speeds. It's a high whine. I'll have to take a ride and listen to whether it is effected by RPM and whatnot. It'll be a while as it's raining now.
Bob
I hear it when I'm rolling to a stop or idling along slow, though I expect it is there always but hidden by other noise at higher speeds. It's a high whine. I'll have to take a ride and listen to whether it is effected by RPM and whatnot. It'll be a while as it's raining now.
Bob I heard that high pitched whine yesterday for the first time. I actually thought it was coming from somewhere else, not my bike. It was not there before yesterday.
I hear it when I'm rolling to a stop or idling along slow, though I expect it is there always but hidden by other noise at higher speeds. It's a high whine. I'll have to take a ride and listen to whether it is effected by RPM and whatnot. It'll be a while as it's raining now.
Bob I heard that high pitched whine yesterday for the first time. I actually thought it was coming from somewhere else, not my bike. It was not there before yesterday.
I haven't noticed it in quite a while, but maybe I just got used to it. I'll take a spin later and see if it is still there. I have a different windscreen on now, so maybe that is changing the way sounds bounce up to my ears.
 
Compared to my sportster or my now gone vulcan my cb is quiet as a church mouse.I think loud pipes on a harley hide the noises that scare most people without harmful effect to the engine,knew many vulcan owners that put loud aftermarket pipes on their bikes because they liked the noise and it covered up the horrendous natural engine noises that signified nothing.
 
riceburner_imp said:
Compared to my sportster or my now gone vulcan my cb is quiet as a church mouse.I think loud pipes on a harley hide the noises that scare most people without harmful effect to the engine,knew many vulcan owners that put loud aftermarket pipes on their bikes because they liked the noise and it covered up the horrendous natural engine noises that signified nothing.

haha very true - it took me a while to get used to my sportster's strange engine noises. She runs perfect, but she's noisy as can be!

My CB has a noticeable tap for about a second after i first crank it up until oil pressure builds, then it's smooth sailing.
 
Back
Top