Clean pair valve..mod

3rdcoastcb1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
I’ve seen a couple of pair valve mod jobs and figured I’d offer up another option for those who are interested. I will add that this is pretty simple and straight forward. This kit will run you $45 usd.

The kit has billet block offs plus the necessary hardware
1 cap to plug off the inlet into the air box
1 plug for the harness so you don’t toss a CEL

1. Pull the seat
2. Pull both side covers
3. Pull tank by removing the vent tube and disconnecting the fuel line (Don’t forget step 2 because the black connector is the fuel pump)
4. Under the neck, locate the air pump and unplug it
5. Use the supplied bypass plug and tuck everything under the harness
6. Remove the pump assy.
7. Pull all the related hoses. The longest hose runs to the airbox where you will use the supplied cap to plug it off. It helps to have the covers off.
8. Remove the oem pair covers.
9. I opted to gut the reeds but use the rubber bodies to help with sealing.
10. Reinstall tank and plug fuel pump back in. Be sure to prime the system to make sure you have no leaks.
11. Install side covers and seat. Done
 
Ozi, the PAIR valve system is part of the emission control system.

From the Manual: The exhaust emission control system is composed of a pulse secondary air supply system, a 3-way ctalytic converter and PGM-FI system.

The pulse secondary air supply system introduces filtered air into the exhaust gases in the exhaust port. Fresh air is drawn into the exhaust port by the function of the PAIR control valve.

This charge of fresh air promotes burning of the unburned exhaust gases and changes a considerable amount of hydrocarbons and carbon monixide into relatively harmless carbon dioxide and water vapor.

The freed valve prevent reverse air flow through the system The PAIR control valve is operated by the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve is controlled by the PGM-FI unit and the fresh air passage is opened/closed according to the running condition.

OK, after all that, the PAIR valve mod will eliminate most/all popping that occurs on deceleration when using an aftermarket exhaust system.
 
Not my area of expertise but I don’t think so. After market exhaust? I guess. Powerdubs or Pekingduck or someone can address that. Main purpose of the PAIR mod is to stop the popping on decel.

3rdcoast, how about a link to the kit.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Not my area of expertise but I don’t think so. After market exhaust? I guess. Powerdubs or Pekingduck or someone can address that. Main purpose of the PAIR mod is to stop the popping on decel.

3rdcoast, how about a link to the kit.
Sorry about that. Here you go
PAIR Valve Removal Kit with Block Off Plates PLE-126
ozigoo_imp said:
Any HP gains?
No hp gains. I did it for simplicity. I think it just looks better without all the hoses and mess coming out of the top of the motor. I do know it’ll reduce the popping from the exhaust but I don’t mind those little noises. Aesthetics and cleanliness is my thing
 
I bought the Plates From Webike and installed them on mine. Very simple to install... Remove the Covers and put on top of the Valve Plate. Everything stays in place. Job done. I do not remember blocking off anything.

With the TSR Intake Funnels and Air Filter Cover with the Yoshimura pipe I had to do it. Now it runs like a champ! No annoying popping or anything.
 
Thread starter
teamvisegrip_imp said:
I bought the Plates From Webike and installed them on mine. Very simple to install... Remove the Covers and put on top of the Valve Plate. Everything stays in place. Job done. I do not remember blocking off anything.

With the TSR Intake Funnels and Air Filter Cover with the Yoshimura pipe I had to do it. Now it runs like a champ! No annoying popping or anything.
If your sitting on the bike at the top right corner of the airbox there is a long hose that gets removed and capped off.
 
3rdcoast, I'll buy your leftover LHS pair cover #12333-MGC-N00 (just the cover, no bolts, hoses, or underlying components) if you don't intend to keep it. Mine's discolored for some reason. New ones go for $32, so I'd be in for half price ($16) if you're interested. If so, PM me.
 
It's funny, nowadays it seems like popping on throttle let off is all the rage with the car enthusiasts. The more of it and the louder, the better !
 
Thread starter
furious_blue_imp said:
It's funny, nowadays it seems like popping on throttle let off is all the rage with the car enthusiasts. The more of it and the louder, the better !
I don’t mind the sound at all. For me it was solely a aesthetics thing
 
PowerDubs_imp said:
Guilty as charged-

Nice !
A video that I saw recently on the 2020 Toyota Supra seemed to suggest that the factory went out of its way to introduce very noticeable popping. I wonder if someday we'll be getting 'injection' kits to pump more vapor into the exhaust ports rather than block off kits, anything to upset the sensibilities of the oldsters... :-)
 
So Im wodering why aftermarket exhausts cause popping ..i guess its to do with more airflow but what is actually popping..unburnt exhaust gas exploding in the exhaust? Interesting
 
furious_blue_imp said:
PowerDubs_imp said:
Guilty as charged-

Nice !
A video that I saw recently on the 2020 Toyota Supra seemed to suggest that the factory went out of its way to introduce very noticeable popping. I wonder if someday we'll be getting 'injection' kits to pump more vapor into the exhaust ports rather than block off kits, anything to upset the sensibilities of the oldsters... :-)

Not bad for a video I took 13 years ago by zip tying an old cell phone to my rear wiper. :)

So that is literally just a crap microphone out in the wind.

This was pre iphone. Just an old flip phone. Miss that car.
ozigoo_imp said:
So Im wodering why aftermarket exhausts cause popping ..i guess its to do with more airflow but what is actually popping..unburnt exhaust gas exploding in the exhaust? Interesting
Yea- it's fueling / tuning.

I have a friend that is a car tuner and he focuses on perfection soo much that he wants perfect smooth both on and off throttle. Doesn't understand a little pop and gurgle. I look at it as personality depending on what the car or bike is.

On the CB I am happy to have no popping, so my pair is bypassed.
 
Back
Top