Classic Honda

flynrider

Road warrior
Thread starter
Stopped off at the local grocery store on my CB750 today and spotted this classic mid 60s 305 Scrambler (a.k.a. CL77) parked out front. It looks like a daily driver that's been earning its keep for the last 50 yrs. or so.

I don't see too many of these anymore.

47c6912327967a51900a52daca5fd6f8.jpg
 
I have an extra 750 engine sitting in the garage...just sayin. :D

Rare sighting to be sure.
 
Missing one rlet I see ... Lol

I had a 67. Silver. Ran it into the passenger door of a green 54 Buick that turned in front of me. Totalled the bike. Didn't do myself any favors either.
 
Pretty cool. Every time I see something like that its seat is torn with the foam hanging out, its got homemade wire saddlebags, and it's covered with haphazardly applied political/social stickers.
 
Thread starter
Randy B_imp said:
I have an extra 750 engine sitting in the garage...just sayin. :D

Rare sighting to be sure.
I'm only at about 42K miles on this one. I'll get back to you in about 200K miles:P
 
Ah, memory lane... Had a silver one myself back in the 60's. Rode the devil out of that thing. Only bike I ever took a tumble on. Low side through an intersection as I learned the hard way about fluids in the middle of the lane...

Used to take it up to the high school football field after dark and chase rabbits with it. Took it through the woods. Snapped levers off of it - carried a vise grips as a back up to grab the cable and shift with.

Fun times :rolleyes:
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Randy B_imp said:
I have an extra 750 engine sitting in the garage...just sayin. :D

Rare sighting to be sure.
I'm only at about 42K miles on this one. I'll get back to you in about 200K miles:P
I'm only at about 42K miles on this one. I'll get back to you in about 200K miles:P
Well there is only about 19,500 on this one so...... :P
 
Btw I think the bike in the picture is a CL160 and not a CL 77. The CL77 had a grab rail behind the seat, and there was much more room between the seat and tail light. Also the CL77s had chrome moulding along the bottom of the seat and the CL160s did not.

Funny thing is, I got a hankering to own another CL77 a few years ago. I had fond memories of mine. It was my first " big" motorcycle that I felt could go anywhere. So I searched one out and went to look at it. The thing was TINY! Omg I felt like a giant on the thing. I passed on the bike realizing I would never really ride it anywhere and no sense of it just sitting in my garage. Tiny I tell ya. I used to think it was so big!
 
The tank badge is almost like the CB's. Thats pretty cool.

So Ferret, are those original shocks on that thing? I can't imagine the shocks and forks are doing a whole lot :)
 
The flying Wing badge is iconic Honda. Glad the CB 1100 has it.

Yes those look original. They didn't do much new, can't imagine how poor they are after 45 years. Wonder if the fork oil is original? I'm guessing it is lol
Missing side covers and original air cleaner too. Those exposed k&n pods aren't very good in the rain.
 
I wonder if he also went by the book for his valve checks?!

10W-30 or 10W-40?

Does he wish for more HP?

I guess the upgrade to the Corbin seat was not necessary?

:rofl:
 
ClassicVW_imp said:
I wonder if he also went by the book for his valve checks?!

10W-30 or 10W-40?

Does he wish for more HP?

I guess the upgrade to the Corbin seat was not necessary?

:rofl:
Judging by the shocks, What are valve checks?

And now you made it an oil thread :celebrate:
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Btw I think the bike in the picture is a CL160 and not a CL 77. The CL77 had a grab rail behind the seat, and there was much more room between the seat and tail light. Also the CL77s had chrome moulding along the bottom of the seat and the CL160s did not.

Funny thing is, I got a hankering to own another CL77 a few years ago. I had fond memories of mine. It was my first " big" motorcycle that I felt could go anywhere. So I searched one out and went to look at it. The thing was TINY! Omg I felt like a giant on the thing. I passed on the bike realizing I would never really ride it anywhere and no sense of it just sitting in my garage. Tiny I tell ya. I used to think it was so big!
I think you're right. I forgot about the smaller sibling CL160. The two bikes look a lot alike!

I know what you mean about shrinking bikes. I used to dog sit for my neighbor as a kid and often enjoyed sitting on his garage queen CL77 and making motorcycle noises. At the time I thought it was a ridiculously large motorcycle (compared to my friends' Honda Trail 50/70 bikes).

Years later, my first real bike was a KZ400. In my mind, it was a good sized bike. I sat on one earlier this year and felt like I was sitting on a monkey bike.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Stopped off at the local grocery store on my CB750 today and spotted this classic mid 60s 305 Scrambler (a.k.a. CL77) parked out front. It looks like a daily driver that's been earning its keep for the last 50 yrs. or so.

I don't see too many of these anymore.

47c6912327967a51900a52daca5fd6f8.jpg
my first new Honda was a cl160 back in 1966 which this bike is not. it is a white cb160 production 1964-69 with cl175ko tank and chrome front fender with cl handlebars. the rear fender is still cb160 with rear flap mounting holes which would have been silver in color.cb/cl160 engines are identical, cl175ko looked like cb160 engine but had a 5 speed trans and production was 1968-69. new cb/cl175 type engine, (almost vertical head and cylinder angle with tach drive) came in 1970
Paul.
 

Honda produced cl type conversion kits for late model slow moving cb160 and cb450. the kit contained cl handle bars, fuel tank, air filter covers, exhaust system and other small sundries. the painted steel front fork gators and steel lower fork sliders were not changed. the middle cl exhaust mount clamped to the frame.

real Honda cl models had rubber fork boots, aluminum lower fork sliders and the middle cl exhaust mount was welded to the frame.
Honda also produced ralley kits for the 90cc cm91 step-thru

Paul
 
Thread starter
Good eye, Paul! The smaller CB/CLs are a bit before my time (as you can probably tell from this post). I tend to only notice the obvious stuff like Scrambler pipes and CL type bars.

I'm amazed that Honda went to all that trouble to make conversion kits for the CBs. Sounds expensive. Much like if they offered a kit to convert standard CB1100s to DLX models (i.e. pipes, tank, side covers...).
 
Saw this today at a local coffee shop (Stauf's in Grandview for those familiar with central Ohio). I noticed the RLETs right away.

 
And the gaiters.
 
On my dads progression down from Harley full dresser to 125 Moto Guzzi as he got older, he passed thru with a CB 200. Gold and black. Perfectly adequate little bike, if not a bit weird looking.
 
My dealer has a 305 Dream in the showroom, just for show. It has RLETS too!
 
Back
Top