Cinco de mayo y el Colombia Gorge

pdedse

Moderator
Staff member
Thread starter
My wife is visiting my son for Mom's Day at Oregon St. Univ. so it was time to take the CB1100 out for its first extended ride. Just finished the 600 mile oil change last night, but I thought I'd do today's run before checking the chain tension and lubing it...supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Portland always has a 5 de mayo celebration--fun with my wife, but not so much alone...besides the Columbia Gorge is nicer than the crowds of Portland. Got away by noon and headed east on 84 towards Bridge of the Gods, crossed into Washington and headed east on 14 to Stevenson, WA. Stopped for lunch and met an eldery gent named Brad who was having the same idea, only he started early morning and was just finishing up his ride on his Honda NT700v. Pretty bike. He admired the CB1100, seemed to know the basics about it. We ate lunch together and swapped bicycle and motorcycle ride stories before heading our own ways...

Right after lunch, from the north side of the Columbia
834c910e4a09caf23193be4aa61361c5.jpg


Spring wildflowers are doing their thing
984179de493b37f5fc2796728394b85c.jpg


Fisherman cleaning his boat
09d7dab7436078917e5d1c4046b1e6b7.jpg


Paddle boat!
6ac4ec2c3519fe1fc596b5dfa05038e1.jpg


I love riding through the tunels on hiway 14...there's about 5 or 6 of them within a couple miles of each other
8802a22798895efa5dd590b7b55d4eaf.jpg


Mt Hood. Ski season ended this weekend at Timberline where I like to go. I made it up there 4 times this year. It's nice from down below as well...
707b4711b16ff297a194965004ed1ede.jpg


Love the beauty!
3e12f2d671f988a7083850a59a4a5d71.jpg


c8999dc41b22952e7160e116e5d1278b.jpg


cb49934881b41dbdfa1d8074504380e8.jpg


The Gorge starts drying out heading east of the Mt. Hood area (Hood River and The Dalles on the Oregon side). Rocky...less forest...
c7ba8f4e2104caed409d2c7c444ce51a.jpg

6fb2a3f30967fdc56bc785651cdecd4f.jpg

25f9efb2571a0a4c3246ef8ff5a0f4eb.jpg


b7ef458cf816190305f9ba8112ab0942.jpg

ab3c4a2e8961742392e08a788cd60834.jpg
 
Great pics!
 
Thread starter
Still on the WA side of the Columbia...
237d57d011d24198278093c8dd08f3dd.jpg


Mt. Hood in the background
a853f8f381bbc735427278eded81e063.jpg


My brother works for BNSF...no lights, no swingarm coming down...look before you cross the tracks, just like mom taught 'ya...
1b0e0f0c0cd1138d4c95257954f74e3a.jpg


hieroglyphics
4469aa0e90e7d7ffbad014856ae72c82.jpg


I like to visit cemeteries...they make me feel alive
6b33b0761b2add80c310f9d21f1a9a6f.jpg


b54b75454ae5e19505217fd2c819d971.jpg


Lots of fruit orchards and wineries...
d113fd58ea68526160a61d6b9772afd5.jpg


That's hiway 84 on the other (OR) side of the river
e352e7c620ee594e56db4589742f42ea.jpg


Back over to OR...
59084185f94d3ef1241cbe1b4c604cb5.jpg


bfa2d5bde0e8a0719d44da3b24ed4a10.jpg


d208330e2854bcc291dc68d2944e4b1b.jpg


The spillway at The Dalles Dam
244a09d246b8d244b3649a1749f7d3c5.jpg


Since it was EL CINCO DE MAYO. Sol is a much better beer than Corona and Pacífico and Tecate and Victoria
4088ba9c7afc9f3daec384aeff49f5f9.jpg


Do you want to know the best beer slogan ever?
"Hasta los vampiros tomal Sol"
(Even vampires drink Sol [sun])
The play on words is that "tomar sol" means to get a tan and the same verb "tomar" means to drink...so the beer SOL tastes so good that vampires are willing to risk it all and drink...SUN. Ok, maybe something's lost in the translation...

Heading back home...if you're ever on 84 heading west, get off the hiway and take 30 west towards Mosier (or if heading east on 84, take 30 at Mosier which will take you to The Dalles where you can get back on 84). You want regret this 12 mile jog...

4866a0205d739d7daec972d611b763ff.jpg
 
Thread starter
A few more shots from hiway 30 between The Dalles and Mosier...
7723ccb13733ad4907466a37136b135a.jpg


d7334eef9ad32812269c14e37445c60d.jpg


c1c2272028c60156e163f61a55b2b4c6.jpg


956b9cd84e82888518705f75d90142a4.jpg


c8b6023b9812071436d122bb5545d58e.jpg


81a58b4c2f9eeb2ae0519f8c895002c7.jpg


Much better up here than down there on 84
14e2e8dd3a8ab252547a948ae2f3e647.jpg


Too bad it's only 12 some miles

dad78de48dd3f42f6773c5cb0f607204.jpg


Time to connect back up with I-84 and head on home...
b8532547bb5c5fb55a2143102be9933d.jpg


Just over 200 miles and 7 hours on the road with lunch and dinner and lots of photo stops.
 
Lovely photos, pdedse. Thanks for sharing.

“I like to visit cemeteries...they make me feel alive”, is a great line.
 
Your picture of your CB1100 EX with all the flowers behind it made me groan. Winter has been an extra month long this year (7 months). I haven't even put the battery back in my bike yet.
47f43018973c5e01d02a5198a9f0df7b.jpg


However the forecast for my birthday Tuesday shows 60F at 11 AM and 70F in the afternoon. This is date I had planned for my first ride. There won't be any flowers, and trees have not opened their leaves yet. But I won't freeze!
 
Thread starter
Nortoon_imp said:
Your picture of your CB1100 EX with all the flowers behind it made me groan. Winter has been an extra month long this year (7 months). I haven't even put the battery back in my bike yet.
133d4130b62743d1700d58fda4eee359.jpg


However the forecast for my birthday Tuesday shows 60F at 11 AM and 70F in the afternoon. This is date I had planned for my first ride. There won't be any flowers, and trees have not opened their leaves yet. But I won't freeze!
I hope your forecast come true so you can make your birthday special! Happy one at that.
Having done the oil change, moved on to the chain...my goodness! What does a dealership oil the chain with...roofing tar? After 600 miles there was tar gunk all over the spokes, wheel, hub, under the chain guard, on chain...whatever it was, I think they put way too much on so that it splattered everywhere. Spent a good two hours cleaning it all and now it's re-oiled.

That's a bit better...
405aa2caa332e44ba09321bd5088a776.jpg


Chain was slack at nearly 40mm of travel, tighted to just under 30mm.

Oil and filter, chain tension, chain clean and lube...what else is there at 600 miles?
 
Awesome report and pictures pdedse :thumbsup: looks like a beautiful place to ride
 
Back
Top