Checking Oil Sight Glass

BackroadsRider_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
While in Lowes Hardware a couple days ago I noticed a telescoping mirror a little bigger than a credit card with built in LED lights. Thought this might be just the thing for checking the oil in the sight glass without having to stoop down. Works great. Leave it hanging on the wall next to the bike. I don't stoop so well these days!
 
That's a great idea. What department was it in?

Anyone know what the little screw in the sight glass is for?

(Sorry if this is considered a highjacking.)
 
RonLyke_imp said:
That's a great idea. What department was it in?

Anyone know what the little screw in the sight glass is for?

(Sorry if this is considered a highjacking.)

Windshield wiper for cleaning the sight glass window ( not kidding)
 
Its even listed in the owners manual as such.
 
A cheaper option, and one that I've used for years on my 919, is to snap a picture of the oil level with your phone as you hold the bike upright. No need for $8 mirrors and its super easy.
 
Thread starter
mrhonda1987_imp said:
A cheaper option, and one that I've used for years on my 919, is to snap a picture of the oil level with your phone as you hold the bike upright. No need for $8 mirrors and its super easy.
I like this idea....
 
If Honda had really nailed the target market for this bike, they would have included some reading glasses with the toolkit. I would have no doubt made more frequent use out of them than the fuse puller. :D
 
Guth_imp said:
If Honda had really nailed the target market for this bike, they would have included some reading glasses with the toolkit. I would have no doubt made more frequent use out of them than the fuse puller. :D
LOL, thats funniy right there. AND, I resemble that statement :-/
 
Whoooa - a sight glass!! -- I should read these threads more often! How bloody handy is that when you have a slightly weepy oil leak coming from the head gasket which just comes and goes. Very.

Another way to see it without a mirror (this is what I'm imminently about to try) is to put your phone on video with the flash light on, and film it. Lying on the floor is for young people.
:beerchug:
 
BackroadsRider_imp said:
While in Lowes Hardware a couple days ago I noticed a telescoping mirror a little bigger than a credit card with built in LED lights. Thought this might be just the thing for checking the oil in the sight glass without having to stoop down. Works great. Leave it hanging on the wall next to the bike. I don't stoop so well these days!
I've had one without a light for years, and it's very handy. I got mine at an auto parts store.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...-up+tools&zoneAssigned=1&prefZC=40353
 
Back
Top