check engine light stays on, on my 2017

Just a little thing I found somewhere :P :beerchug:
 
Thread starter
It is funny that you mentioned the Biltmore House as we are going there today with an old friend of mine from the CBX Club.
He used to live in New Jersey but moved to NC a short while ago.
Popgun , I know the owner of the Biltmore Estate as I worked there for over 5 years. If I see him I will ask him how much he wants for the place, if it is a fair price I will buy it and you can move in and take care of my electronic "problems"
 
Houtman_imp said:
It is funny that you mentioned the Biltmore House as we are going there today with an old friend of mine from the CBX Club.
He used to live in New Jersey but moved to NC a short while ago.
Popgun , I know the owner of the Biltmore Estate as I worked there for over 5 years. If I see him I will ask him how much he wants for the place, if it is a fair price I will buy it and you can move in and take care of my electronic "problems"
An offer that can't be refused :rofl:
 
Houtman, What I'd like to know is, being Biltmore is privately owned, what the property tax is. I tried looking it up on-line but couldn't find anything. My co-worked visited a few years ago and the place is really awesome. My favorite Vanderbilt house is Biltmore House, followed by The Breakers and Marble house.

You may have read it, but a good book on the Vanderbilts is Fortune's Children: The Fall of the House of Vanderbilt by Arthur T. Vanderbilt.
 
Thread starter
Popgun , I asked the owner if he wanted to sell his place , he said but only for the right price ! Talking hundreds of millions.
It is privately owned for profit and no tax breaks , they pay an enormous amount of proper ty tax but I forgot the figure. It was in the local paper a few years ago but I can not remember the amount.
Our friends loved the place and wished they bought a house near Asheville instead of Winston Salem.
 
Houtman_imp said:
A few days ago I did put the O2 sensor eliminators on my 2017 with less than good results , check engine light came on after about 50 miles.
yesterday I removed the eliminators (also from my 2014 ) and disconnected the batterie for 24 hours. Connected batterie but check engine light is still on , can I somehow get this light NOT to come on or is it a dealer solution with a special tester.
I am wondering if the 2017 (and perhaps also the 2014 ) are more sensitive to messing with the O2 sensor. I know many 2013 owners have one installed but are there any 2017 owners with O2 eliminators ? (or 2014 owners ) 2017 starts ok but did not have a change to ride it today.
Please forgive me for the following response. Return your bike back to stock and ride on without error codes. Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the ride that the factory engineers worked very hard to provide for you.
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
A few days ago I did put the O2 sensor eliminators on my 2017 with less than good results , check engine light came on after about 50 miles.
yesterday I removed the eliminators (also from my 2014 ) and disconnected the batterie for 24 hours. Connected batterie but check engine light is still on , can I somehow get this light NOT to come on or is it a dealer solution with a special tester.
I am wondering if the 2017 (and perhaps also the 2014 ) are more sensitive to messing with the O2 sensor. I know many 2013 owners have one installed but are there any 2017 owners with O2 eliminators ? (or 2014 owners ) 2017 starts ok but did not have a change to ride it today.
Please forgive me for the following response. Return your bike back to stock and ride on without error codes. Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the ride that the factory engineers worked very hard to provide for you.
Please forgive me for the following response. Return your bike back to stock and ride on without error codes. Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the ride that the factory engineers worked very hard to provide for you. You are right , I have done that but still need to get the error code removed , will get that done soon but will be away next week and probably have this done when I come back from NY
 
Houtman_imp said:
I have taken ALL the eliminators of ALL my bikes till I take the 2017 for the yearly inspection and to see why the MIL stays on , they will scan for error codes coming from O2 sensor ???
Do you already know your DTC ???
 
DBM, according to the service manual, this will not reset fault codes.
 
To what i've experienced with my CB1100 RS after 46,000km, there would be many reasons for the check engine light to be kicked in.
The most potential reason is from malfunctioned O2 sensor. I had the left one died before having bazzaz ZFI hooked in as part of exhaust system upgrade.
Intermittently, i did have the check engine light illuminated (constant on, not blinking) and went off itself automatically after couple hundred km (after bazzaz installation), other than that, it's all been running normally for over 30,000km so far. Dont just erase the faulty code as it will come back again if not knowing where the root cause is.
I have read different reference sources for check engine light to be kicked on:
- It's could be misfiring due to bad spark plug that will trigger the MIL or
- bad fuel gauge would also be a culprit.
- One of the sensors malfunction could turn the lights on (could be the ABS sensor not reading properly, need cleaning...)
- loose or not well contacted grounding (for PCV or bazzaz installation) could possibly turn the light on.
- Bad contact from kill switch could also turn the light on

...
The best thing is to get it diagnosed by professional mechanic with a error scanning device, it will tell exactly what the error code is.

Gook luck

Houtman_imp said:
DBM_imp said:
Remove the negative battery conntection, and let the bike sit overnight.
Did this and it did NOT remove the error code , no problem , my dealer will take care of this.
Did this and it did NOT remove the error code , no problem , my dealer will take care of this.
 
Hindsight being 2020, if all you mugs would have just left the dang thing stock and not messed with it, you would not have these "problems" to deal with. Duh.
 
Thread starter
DBM_imp said:
Hindsight being 2020, if all you mugs would have just left the dang thing stock and not messed with it, you would not have these "problems" to deal with. Duh.
We do these "stupid" things to prevent other members making these mistakes !
 
DBM, the question of whether and how far people should modify their bikes was discussed often earlier in the life of the forum. As in most things views were strongly held. I think there was a sort of consensus that people should do what they want “to make the bike their own”.

The important that is that, if there are consensus, the person making the change needs to own them. Houtman is owning the consequence and seeking help for dealing with the problem. That, in part is what the forum is for. And, as he says, there is learning for us all.

I don’t think that makes him a mug.
 
Thread starter
After the post from DBM I went to see my counselor for therapy and I already feel better . Having an extra beer tonight will also help.
 
Keep going with the therapy, Houtman. Some of us want to see one of your bikes with the 4 into 4. And it’s good learning that the 2017 doesn’t take so kindly as earlier models to losing its O2 sensor. If, indeed that’s the problem.
 
Thread starter
I hope that O2 sensor eliminator is the problem and I already have decided to put the 4 in to 4 on the 2013 for a more symmetrical look. I will be away next week but hopefully the week after I can get it sorted out.
 
Back
Top