Charahola and Great Smoky Mountains

Dharma_Jones93_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone! So, I am planning my first [adventure] tour on the CB. I figured I would "blog" the trip on here and update regularly. Will be two up, and camping two nights, hoteling the first (way too late and cuts an hour of riding through mountains at 1:00am).

Here's a quick itinerary:

Thursday evening - Cincinnati to Pigeon Forge (all interstate)

Friday morning - Ride to campground and set up camp, then proceed to Mt. Leconte for a day of hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains (should get great pics!!!)

Saturday - Ride the Charahola Skyway (more great pics)

Sunday - NC North back to Cincy

Let me know if you have any tips or tricks! Here's a pic to get you all started...

 
Leave the cat at home


Seriously sounds like a great time.
 
Safe travels. Tons of great info. on this forum about roads to hit, places to eat, etc. Have a wonderful time.

I need another Smoky Mountain fix. I may have to take a solo trip down there in the fall since my wife has no more days off from work.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Safe travels. Tons of great info. on this forum about roads to hit, places to eat, etc. Have a wonderful time.

I need another Smoky Mountain fix. I may have to take a solo trip down there in the fall since my wife has no more days off from work.
Jane and I are headed over there the last week of September till early October, I'll keep lookout for you. We will be on a Silver and Red Spyder.
 
Mate, you are a lucky man. Great riding, some of the best. For me anyway. Riding those NC and GA roads has inspired me to ride in the States again. Maybe next time out of San Diego, in which case I will be certainly asking advice of forum members. Enjoy, and stay safe.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
Mate, you are a lucky man. Great riding, some of the best. For me anyway. Riding those NC and GA roads has inspired me to ride in the States again. Maybe next time out of San Diego, in which case I will be certainly asking advice of forum members. Enjoy, and stay safe.

Cheers
I do hope you make a trip to the West Coast. Many splendid roads and breathtaking scenery there.
 
8 of us will be riding up to the Cherohala, Dragon, Parkway with friends from September 26 to October 3rd. We call it "Fall Mountain Trip".
Do it every year. Also do one in spring. Enjoy!
 
Our Men's Fall Trip will be in the same area, basing around Little Switzerland and the BRP
 
Thread starter
I've done this trip before, but two up I think I'm going to skip the dragon. We've backpacked before, but the camping/mototouring will be an experiment for us.

Tonight I'll be loading up the CB, and lubing the chain.

I'll post pics with the final set up so just to document the rig for viewers interested in touring setups. Next year with some saved funds I'll be throwing on the road comet for some extra wind coverage, but just going to rough t for this trip. I have the Honda crash guards and hope to get some highway pegs for myself and extenders for the passenger pegs.

In case anyone is interested, I am absolutely obsessed with this website: Web Server's Default Page So cool! Extremely intuitive map generation that can easily be exported to most navigation systems.

The cat will be staying at home.

Thanks all, pics soon!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
Safe travels. Tons of great info. on this forum about roads to hit, places to eat, etc. Have a wonderful time.

I need another Smoky Mountain fix. I may have to take a solo trip down there in the fall since my wife has no more days off from work.
MTC, have I been inattentive and missed a tale from you abut the Ozarks?

Dharma_Jones, really great riding there. I'd love to go back or, like Pterodactyl to other US destinations. Enjoy yourselves and give my regards to the soon to be abandoned cat.
 
Thread starter
Thanks everyone for your interest in the thread, I need all the courage and affirmation I can get!

Speaking of courage, I was really having doubts about whether or not the CB, as it is, would safely make the journey. However, these just arrived, and I can now confidently say, I have no fears about the performance of my machine...

 
Is that a gun AND machete you travel with :-)
I sometimes contemplate doing that....although each state has different rules.
Was always too much trouble or risk actually doing it.
Oh, and when I backpacked I was counting ounces so would never lug the extra weight...maybe on the motorcycle, yes.
 
HikerToo_imp said:
Is that a gun AND machete you travel with :-)
I sometimes contemplate doing that....although each state has different rules.
Was always too much trouble or risk actually doing it.
Oh, and when I backpacked I was counting ounces so would never lug the extra weight...maybe on the motorcycle, yes.
Well, clearing brush with a sidearm just isn't as efficient as we might hope, and not everyone has the ability to bring a knife to a gun fight and walk away.

Hahahaha


Sent from an undisclosed location
 
I've done the round trip from central Florida to the Dragon, Cherohala and that whole area dozens of times, 3 of them on the naked CB. Will be riding up with buds at the end of September again. No Interstates involved. IMO, it's a great bike for touring and easy to set up. I haven't felt the need for wind protection after 13k+ miles. Though I recently installed a Road Comet I, only to enhance the cafe aesthetic I've got going ;)
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
HikerToo_imp said:
Is that a gun AND machete you travel with :-)
I sometimes contemplate doing that....although each state has different rules.
Was always too much trouble or risk actually doing it.
Oh, and when I backpacked I was counting ounces so would never lug the extra weight...maybe on the motorcycle, yes.
A good source of info on CC laws and reciprocity.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Changes 8/12/2015 - USA Carry
A good source of info on CC laws and reciprocity.
Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Changes 8/12/2015 - USA Carry
Yes, but honestly the gun is for bears, as we are hiking/camping in backcountry. There a can of UDAP in there somewhere too. The machete is for firewood lol. I'm a pacifist and a vegan, so its hard enough to hurt the bear in a life or death situation, let alone a person :/.

Carry wise, I travel to Vermont a lot. It is a pain when passing through NY and having unload, put on a safety lock, then store ammunition in a locked container...
 
Back
Top