changing oil

Kyhiker1100_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Need help. I am doing my first oil change (705miles) and I can't get the d--- filter loose. Went to pep-boys and bought a vicegrip type but can not break it loose. Thinking of an old way of driving a screw driver through the filter. Had anyone else had this trouble?:huh:
 
Seems a lot have had this trouble. One went so far as taking his back to the dealer to get it removed. Mine was pretty tight, but I got it off using the channel lock type of filter wrench as seen in the how to do your own 600 mile service thread in the how to forum.
 
I just did the first change this past Saturday and the filter required some effort to break free. This wrench fits on just about all Honda filters and if needed you can put a cheater bar on it.
 
Thread starter
Thanks for your advice. I wrapped a thin sanding sponge anround the filter and then used the wrench and finally broke it loose. Guess I am getting weak in my old age (65).
 
Kyhiker1100_imp said:
Thanks for your advice. I wrapped a thin sanding sponge anround the filter and then used the wrench and finally broke it loose. Guess I am getting weak in my old age (65).

good deal, glad it broke free for you.

Most of us are near that age ( 63 here)

We have been thinking about starting a "whats ailing you now" section to the forum lol
 
cbfan_imp said:
I just did the first change this past Saturday and the filter required some effort to break free. This wrench fits on just about all Honda filters and if needed you can put a cheater bar on it.
+1. This tool has yet to fail me on the various Honda's I've used it on.
 
I use the end cap style filter tool that fits onto a ratchet. Fortunately, the CB11 uses the same filter as my CB750, so I already had it. Caveat : It works like magic on Honda OEM filters but will not fit most aftermarket filters.

My factory filter was also on there a lot tighter than it should have been, but it was a breeze to remove with a long handled ratchet.
 
You're better off talking about religion or politics...at least that discussion will remain somewhat civil.

But one more thing about oil changes. After setting the pan and having some rags handy, you undo the drain bolt, remove the filter, and sit there, watching it drain....being sure to let every last drop of oil drip out of that pan. Let it drip, drip by drip...for an hour or more, maybe even over night. Gotta get that old oil outta there, right? Every last drop.

Admit it...we've all done it. I certainly did.
But then I glanced at that thing sitting in front of the headers.....ah, the oil cooler. The inlet & outlet are both fed from the top, which means there's still oil in there, mocking us....and we can't get it out unless we take more stuff apart, or turn the bike upside down.

A few ounces of that old, gritty, worthless, engine-ruining dirty oil. Will our bikes make it to 100,000 miles with this travesty of a design? I just don't know how those Honda engineers sleep at night.
 
Jim21680_imp said:
You're better off talking about religion or politics...at least that discussion will remain somewhat civil.

But one more thing about oil changes. After setting the pan and having some rags handy, you undo the drain bolt, remove the filter, and sit there, watching it drain....being sure to let every last drop of oil drip out of that pan. Let it drip, drip by drip...for an hour or more, maybe even over night. Gotta get that old oil outta there, right? Every last drop.

Admit it...we've all done it. I certainly did.
But then I glanced at that thing sitting in front of the headers.....ah, the oil cooler. The inlet & outlet are both fed from the top, which means there's still oil in there, mocking us....and we can't get it out unless we take more stuff apart, or turn the bike upside down.

A few ounces of that old, gritty, worthless, engine-ruining dirty oil. Will our bikes make it to 100,000 miles with this travesty of a design? I just don't know how those Honda engineers sleep at night.
Jim,
You deserve a :worship: just for your last paragraph alone...a lol, too.:D

I note in the shop manual - re, lubrication specs - that after an engine disassembly that it takes 5.2 qts of oil to fill it, so that's another 1.1 qts hiding in all the internal nooks and crannys? I never would have guessed it to be that much, but there it is.

Unlike any other bike I've ever owned, when I bought the CB, I decided I would maintain it 'by the book' and just see what the long-term outcome is going to be. The thought of a every-other filter change and dino oil (even though it is a Honda product) does make me wince a bit with such a big, air-cooled lump but that's the way I'm going to go and we'll just see what happens.

It has taken a few months, as I wanted to see if the initial flush of enthusiasm for this exceptional machine would wear off a bit, but I'll honestly say she's really grown on me, and even though I'm not a big mileage guy ( only doing about 15K yearly ), I like this bike so much that it has become my daily driver, rain or shine; so much so that my 2 others (Triumph) are up for sale.

So. Standard OEM maintenance. All weather rider. One bike does-it-all? I'm confident that in years from now this will still be the picture: :biker:

Pete C

( ps - just previewed this post and noted that the little biker emoticon seems to be burning a little oil... :rolleyes: )
 
"A few ounces of that old, gritty, worthless, engine-ruining dirty oil. Will our bikes make it to 100,000 miles with this travesty of a design? I just don't know how those Honda engineers sleep at night."

maybe the engineers actually are brilliant because that prevents key bearings from being starved for oil while the oil cooler fills up after the oil change.
 
Very true...my statement was attempting to point out how feeble our attempts at over-maintaining our machines can be.

There's a guy on my car forum who uses a truck oil filter on his S2000. It's over 6 inches long, at least twice the size of the OEM filter. He had to move stuff around for it to fit.

Does he need it? Absolutely not.
Does he think he needs it? You bet, and he sleeps better because of it. To each their own, I guess.

One thing's for sure - Next time I change my CB's oil, I won't be wasting as much time as I did the first time around!
 
petec_imp said:
Jim21680_imp said:
You're better off talking about religion or politics...at least that discussion will remain somewhat civil.

But one more thing about oil changes. After setting the pan and having some rags handy, you undo the drain bolt, remove the filter, and sit there, watching it drain....being sure to let every last drop of oil drip out of that pan. Let it drip, drip by drip...for an hour or more, maybe even over night. Gotta get that old oil outta there, right? Every last drop.

Admit it...we've all done it. I certainly did.
But then I glanced at that thing sitting in front of the headers.....ah, the oil cooler. The inlet & outlet are both fed from the top, which means there's still oil in there, mocking us....and we can't get it out unless we take more stuff apart, or turn the bike upside down.

A few ounces of that old, gritty, worthless, engine-ruining dirty oil. Will our bikes make it to 100,000 miles with this travesty of a design? I just don't know how those Honda engineers sleep at night.
Jim,
You deserve a :worship: just for your last paragraph alone...a lol, too.:D

I note in the shop manual - re, lubrication specs - that after an engine disassembly that it takes 5.2 qts of oil to fill it, so that's another 1.1 qts hiding in all the internal nooks and crannys? I never would have guessed it to be that much, but there it is.

Unlike any other bike I've ever owned, when I bought the CB, I decided I would maintain it 'by the book' and just see what the long-term outcome is going to be. The thought of a every-other filter change and dino oil (even though it is a Honda product) does make me wince a bit with such a big, air-cooled lump but that's the way I'm going to go and we'll just see what happens.

It has taken a few months, as I wanted to see if the initial flush of enthusiasm for this exceptional machine would wear off a bit, but I'll honestly say she's really grown on me, and even though I'm not a big mileage guy ( only doing about 15K yearly ), I like this bike so much that it has become my daily driver, rain or shine; so much so that my 2 others (Triumph) are up for sale.

So. Standard OEM maintenance. All weather rider. One bike does-it-all? I'm confident that in years from now this will still be the picture: :biker:

Pete C

( ps - just previewed this post and noted that the little biker emoticon seems to be burning a little oil... :rolleyes: )
Jim,
You deserve a :worship: just for your last paragraph alone...a lol, too.:D

I note in the shop manual - re, lubrication specs - that after an engine disassembly that it takes 5.2 qts of oil to fill it, so that's another 1.1 qts hiding in all the internal nooks and crannys? I never would have guessed it to be that much, but there it is.

Unlike any other bike I've ever owned, when I bought the CB, I decided I would maintain it 'by the book' and just see what the long-term outcome is going to be. The thought of a every-other filter change and dino oil (even though it is a Honda product) does make me wince a bit with such a big, air-cooled lump but that's the way I'm going to go and we'll just see what happens.

It has taken a few months, as I wanted to see if the initial flush of enthusiasm for this exceptional machine would wear off a bit, but I'll honestly say she's really grown on me, and even though I'm not a big mileage guy ( only doing about 15K yearly ), I like this bike so much that it has become my daily driver, rain or shine; so much so that my 2 others (Triumph) are up for sale.

So. Standard OEM maintenance. All weather rider. One bike does-it-all? I'm confident that in years from now this will still be the picture: :biker:

Pete C

( ps - just previewed this post and noted that the little biker emoticon seems to be burning a little oil... :rolleyes: )

Honda uses oil as coolant in this bike - 5.2 qt is a massive number for a bike, my V8 car only use 6+ qt when i told my car mechanic to put in 4 qt, he is knocked off by the sheer volume.

Same here, I ride this bike daily and my lust for the bike is not yet worn up. On a new good roads the bike is so smooth. I can't detect any vibration at 6K rpm
 
If you feel the need to purge every last bit of old oil from your engine, you could easily do a double or triple change. I don't feel the need for that level of cleanliness after an oil change.

Nor am I worried about oil filter frequency because the filter is horizontal and most of the oil it in drains. It would take a lot of junk in the oil to fill the filter element to a point it would stop filtering oil.

As far as automotive capacity compared to bike capacity, let's not forget that huge transmission that is serviced by those same 4.1 quarts. More than likely only two quarts would be needed for a stand alone motor. My two cylinder Honda AC generator uses only a single quart.
 
Back
Top