Changed up the tail yet again.....

Joel Goodson_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Made this 1/4 fender from an '81 Cb650 fender and mounted integrated LED cateyes under it. These are now my turns, running light and brake lights. They shine bright and in unison with the fender I made REALLY clean up the back of this bike. Also ditched the gigantic front turns for a traditional black bullet style turn.

Just wanted to share what Ive been up to. Making a new megaphone muffler work on it tomorrow and will post back with that update. Cant wait to get some noise out of this thing!




 
Hi Joel,

I'm planning on making a ducktail rear fender so when I saw your pics above I said "yeah!"

That flip up at the back is almost primal. My Schwinn Stingray rear fender had a perfect ducktail, just the right size and terminated the fender at just the right place. Any shorter or longer would have looked odd. Ducktails I've seen on other bikes are usually way over done, in my opinion.

You must have hammered yours into that shape, which is very tasteful.
 
Really nice job :thumbsup:

I think your rear fender/ tail light/turn signal is a first on this forum.

Looks like you changed the handlebars too.

I'd love to see a full profile of your bike taken from the side.
 
VERY nice and tastefully done!
 
Thread starter
Damfino_imp said:
Hey Joel, did you ever get your glass egg back from that bi&ch yet?
Haha. :thumbsup:


Video on the muffler tomorrow. It sounds insanely good. Low tone, low pops on decel and not raspy at ALL when you lay into it. So pumped on it. Ill grab some detail shots on how I made it fit as well.
 
I've ridden in my share of rain in Minnesota so all I see is this big rooster rail up my back from the lack of a fender back there.
 
Thread starter
Rboe_imp said:
I've ridden in my share of rain in Minnesota so all I see is this big rooster rail up my back from the lack of a fender back there.
So while riding in the rain you get wet? That's crazy.
 
Just need to go fast enough in the rain and you can ride between the rain drops and nothing can hit you from behind either... ;)

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk
 
Joel Goodson_imp said:
Rboe_imp said:
I've ridden in my share of rain in Minnesota so all I see is this big rooster rail up my back from the lack of a fender back there.
So while riding in the rain you get wet? That's crazy.
So while riding in the rain you get wet? That's crazy.
Rain is fairly clean water. What gets thrown up by the tires is water plus dirt plus oil and other debris.
 
I never poo poo anyone's mods, but I'm a traditionalist I guess and wouldn't do that to a bike I would tour on. All my bikes need to be general purpose; ready for the road whether it be for a day or a week and possibly in lousy weather.
But to each his own and to how he may use the CB.
It would be a dull old world if we were all the same and thought the same way :D
 
This is a very cool looking mod - my compliments to your taste AND skills! :thumbsup:

It's funny, with my Bonneville, I've done so much modding to it that I've lost track of it all. But I love the vintage style of the CB so much - and having wanted one of the original CBs so much as a kid - that I just can't get myself to do any real "customizing" to this one. I mean, I've already done a bit of "personalizing", but nothing that detracts from the stock look that could be discerned by the uninitiated. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it). Loving your bike, though!
 
Rocky_imp said:
I never poo poo anyone's mods, but I'm a traditionalist I guess and wouldn't do that to a bike I would tour on. All my bikes need to be general purpose; ready for the road whether it be for a day or a week and possibly in lousy weather.
But to each his own and to how he may use the CB.
It would be a dull old world if we were all the same and thought the same way :D
Yeah, I agree. I'll be keeping the fenders on my bike though, they were one of the bike's selling points. The irony is that I will probably never ride it in the rain !
 
[/QUOTE] Yeah, I agree. I'll be keeping the fenders on my bike though, they were one of the bike's selling points. The irony is that I will probably never ride it in the rain !
[/QUOTE]

That was a selling point for me too. To me the CB looks like a "proper" motorcycle and not all jacked up in the rear with wide open spaces between the rear tire and the frame; with next to no fender/mudguard and the taillight and plate hanging on a skimpy bit of bodywork. The design of many of the new bikes really puts me off.
And don't get me started on many of those ugly mufflers :D
That's what also drew me to the Triumph Bonneville too.
The CB900F (919, aka Hornet) that I have has a fairly comfortable standard seating position and I've been on it for days and weeks at a time. The factory rear tire hugger was replaced by an extended one which gives a little better wet weather protection.
 
Back
Top