Chain adjustment

lash_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
Any ideas on how to measure and adjust chain slack when there is no mainstand? Had to remove the mainstand when the Wyvern's went on.
 
Best bet is to put a rear stand to lift the tyre clear. Otherwise use a car jack close to where the centre stand fitted ( careful you don't drop the bike on yourself).

Cheers
[sorry, wrong link]

Or, if your handy, fabricate one.
 
Thread starter
Problem is with the Wyverns you have to take the lower mufflers off to get enough clearance to fit a stand and I don't think I can get a bottle jack in between them where the center stand was. That is where the crossover is now. Really don.t want to take the exhausts off....
 
There's no reason you can't measure it with the bike on the side stand, and also adjust it, if need be.
That exhaust seems to make it a very difficult task, no matter what, but luckily our chains seem to rarely need adjustment.

If you insist on getting the wheel off the ground, there's a product called the "PackJack" that might be helpful.
Lastly, you could probably have a custom rear stand fabricated for fairly cheap.
Good luck!
 
Thread starter
I guess the question is really , what amount of slack am I looking for when the bike is sitting weight on wheels ?
 
Well someone will have to set their chain on the center stand then measure it on the side stand and there ya go!

Sorry, can't do it tonight.
 
My pleasant surprise, while on a road trip, was that at least one Honda dealer would do chain adjustments gratis.

Not sure why - whether warranty reimburses them or if it's a PR effort; or just one Honda dealer in Tacoma.

But it happened. You might ask the dealer you trade with. I'm in favor of doing stuff yourself; but if someone else with tools and equipment will do free what is a PITA for me to do with not enough tools and no lift and no knowledge...I'll let the dealer do it.
 
I measured this earlier tonight...it's still about an inch (there really isn't any noticeable difference with the wheel on the ground, as long as the bike is unladen).
 
G'day Lash. A thought occurred to me regarding the adjustment of the chain. If the chain needs adjusting how do you intend to do that with both the rear wheel and the centre stand firmly planted? Even with the rear wheel rolling an accurate adjustment, particularly alignment, might be difficult. I think you will still need to raise the rear wheel.

Cheers
 
Pterodactyl_imp said:
G'day Lash. A thought occurred to me regarding the adjustment of the chain. If the chain needs adjusting how do you intend to do that with both the rear wheel and the centre stand firmly planted? Even with the rear wheel rolling an accurate adjustment, particularly alignment, might be difficult. I think you will still need to raise the rear wheel.

Cheers
I've owned several bikes that didn't come with a center stand (it was optional on my CB750). Adjusting the chain with both wheels on the ground is pretty easy to do. It just takes a push/pull on the wheel to snug the adjusters against the adjustment bolts. I check the gap on the adjuster with calipers to verify alignment.
 
Thread starter
I finally got a front wheel stand and got the bike to sit level and adjusted the chain to about 1 inch slack. My concern was that it might be the same situation as my KLR, in that the slack in the chain is different depending on whether there is weight on the bike or not, which changes the swingarm position and the chain slack.
 
Flynrider_imp said:
Pterodactyl_imp said:
G'day Lash. A thought occurred to me regarding the adjustment of the chain. If the chain needs adjusting how do you intend to do that with both the rear wheel and the centre stand firmly planted? Even with the rear wheel rolling an accurate adjustment, particularly alignment, might be difficult. I think you will still need to raise the rear wheel.

Cheers
I've owned several bikes that didn't come with a center stand (it was optional on my CB750). Adjusting the chain with both wheels on the ground is pretty easy to do. It just takes a push/pull on the wheel to snug the adjusters against the adjustment bolts. I check the gap on the adjuster with calipers to verify alignment.
Thats the key.

Cheers
 
+1 Ptero, I do the same thing.
 
lash_imp said:
I finally got a front wheel stand and got the bike to sit level and adjusted the chain to about 1 inch slack. My concern was that it might be the same situation as my KLR, in that the slack in the chain is different depending on whether there is weight on the bike or not, which changes the swingarm position and the chain slack.
Just thinking out loud.....but wouldn't the chain slack need to be fairly consistent over the entire swing arm travel as to not be too tight or loose as the position changes?
 
^^^^^. No mate, it varies. The swing arm vertical movement varies the length of travel only slightly but the chain slack involved varies considerably with that slight difference in length. If you adjust the rear axle position with the adjusters only slightly you will be surprised at the change in slack. Anyway, it is not as though 100+ horses is going through the system so maybe, just maybe, near enough is good. I just do it as described in the manuals.

Cheers
 
It would be so convenient if the engine sprocket shaft and the swing arm pivot were in alignment. Chain slack could be set fairly tight without the worry of tension change as the swing arm moved. I think this has been done on some custom and racing bikes.
 
CIP57_imp said:
kmoney_imp said:
If you want to raise the rear wheel, just get a pit stand that isn't designed for spools. They just lift by holding onto the swingarm edges (it makes them less than ideal, but they still work well).

+1 Get yourself a rear stand and relax the rear wheel.
+1 Get yourself a rear stand and relax the rear wheel.
A rear stand does not take the bikes weight off the swingarm allowing the rear shocks to uncompress. From the bikes perspective, it is still exactly the same as if the tire were still on the ground.

By using the bikes center stand, the rear end is raised and all the weight is taken off the rear shocks, allowing the swingarm to drop down to it's lowest extension point.

With that said, the same can be accomplished using just the side stand, provided you have a second person the lift the bikes weight over onto the side stand (and front wheel) lifting the rear wheel off the ground while you check the chain slack.
 
Back
Top