Ceramic Coating Spray

Gone in 60

Road warrior
Thread starter
Shameless plug for Mothers CMX Ceramic spray coating!

I have wanted to try a ceramic coating product since my friend had his '60 Dodge "color corrected" with a ceramic. Granted, he paid a thousand bucks, and the car looked like it had a new paint job, but I wanted to try something in a spray bottle, and picked up some of this stuff:

I got some CMX ceramic coating: http://www.mothers.com/02_products/...tBh3_OgfOEAAYASAAEgKsfPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Played around with the spray over the weekend on the CB and the Bonneville. It made the paint on both bikes pop like crazy, especially the black Triumph. But then I tried applying it to other stuff, like the chrome and clear plastic on the dash lenses and wind screens. It made all of them look clearer. The mirrors on the CB fog easily in cold weather so I did those, and I took my oldest helmet, which has the most beat-up face shield - no deep scratches, just light scuffs.

I used the beater helmet this morning, and was very impressed with how much clearer my view was. Normally, the sunlight will grab a scuff mark and create a bit of a refraction in my field of view. Looked more like a new shield. And, my mirrors didn't fog.

The stuff isn't magic, and needs 24 hours to cure. But, you can "stack" it, building layers. I did two on the Bonnie tank, and it looks amazing.
 
Seems like just the thing to put on fork sliders and engine case covers to ward off a little pitting/corrosion maybe. Also to plastic headlight lenses.
 
Thread starter
Next thing I'll try is the inside of the shield on my Scorpion Exo 320. It's their cheapy, replacing the 410. My old 410 fit me like a glove, so I like the 320, but it doesn't have an anti-fog coating on the inside. I didn't mind that till it got cold, now I'm noticing it fogs quite easily.
 
Thread starter
I have a contact at Mothers who gave me their full ceramic kit, which included a prep spray. Per the label on the ceramic spray, for "best results", you are to use the prep spray to remove all existing wax, sealants, etc for the Mothers stuff to do its thing. However, their website says "CMX Ceramic Spray Coating can be used as a stand-alone ceramic coating, or as a booster over existing ceramic coatings or waxes."

The prep spray kinda smells like it has alcohol in it. On the Bonneville, I did the prep spray first, and on the CB, I sprayed it over the product I normally use (a spray-on, wipe-off sealant by Nanoskin). I didn't notice that one method was better than the other. Both are equally slick and shiny.
 
Be cautious Gin60. We may learn down the road these modern exotic formulations may be a source of health grief because we don't understand the long term effects. Consider extra protection (e.g. lung protection) when broadcasting.
 
Thread starter
Health hazards? Shoot, I grew up in L.A. in the 70s, had two chain-smoking parents, sniffed glue when I built model airplanes and I breath tire smoke for a living. A little car polish ain’t going to shorten my life any more than that stuff.
 
Thread starter
If you grew up in L.A. in the '70s, you were smoking from birth.

So, last night, got home, took the shield off of my Exo 320 and coated the inside and outside of it. I also coated the outside of my other helmet shields. About the time I was doing this, my wife came home and pulled her car in the garage. Getting out, she said "I see you are caressing your helmets again." Ha.

Anyway, rode the Exo 320 to work this morning in temp around 50 degrees. It fogged up just as bad as it did before when stopped, so I guess there is no anti-fog benefit to the ceramic spray. But, the optical clarity was improved noticeably.
 
Gin 60, that reminds me, i clean my visor regularly and it is clear, before i clean it i breathe on the surface a few times to loosen the dust, that works fine on the outside but the inside of my face shield does not want to fog up no matter how many times i breathe on it, the helmet is just an inexpensive htc job and has no pin shield inside, has anybody else have the same experience?
 
Thread starter
My Scorpion helmets have their "everclear" fog-free coating on the inside of the visors, which works well even with five years of use, but the 320 is a cheapy model and doesn't have the coating. Not really a big deal unless I'm in cold weather with visor down and in a slow traffic condition where I can't take my left hand off of the clutch to raise it.
 
Thread starter
Easier solution is to just not wear that helmet in cold weather.
 
Back
Top