Centerstand - Noob question...

quietguy_imp

Been there
Thread starter
My CTX700 also has chain final drive, but the bike has no centerstand so chain cleaning and lubing is a chore.

Thankfully, the CB1100 has the centerstand.

My question is, can the bike be muscled onto the stand while planted on the saddle?

I've never been comfy trying to get a bike up while standing on the kickstand side of the bike for fear of it toppling to the right. And, I live alone so don't have a "spotter".

... Just wondering
 
It's really quite easy to put on the center stand Quietguy. I'm only 5' 6" with bad shoulders and I can do it with no sweat. It's all in technique. There is an old thread that explains how. There are some youtube videos on the technique also I think.

Unless you could pass for an NBA player I wouldn't try it from the seat.
 
Thread starter
redbirds_imp said:
It's really quite easy to put on the center stand Quietguy. I'm only 5' 6" with bad shoulders and I can do it with no sweat. It's all in technique. There is an old thread that explains how. There are some youtube videos on the technique also I think.

Unless you could pass for an NBA player I wouldn't try it from the seat.
Thank you redbirds. I'm almost 6'2", 210 lbs. I did do a few searches here yesterday trying to find any references to "center stand" but no luck; probably me.

I will do some looking around on Youtube. In the past I've either had a spotter to help me steady the machine, or I was able to get it onto the stand from the seat. Or, lacking all that, I just didn't use the darn thing. My driveway slopes up slightly so I will try pointing her "uphill" and see if that's doable.

Thanks again.

... qg
 
As others mentioned, it's pretty easy if you use the right technique.

Here's a good long thread from 2 years ago that beats the subject to death :D :

Put bike on centerstand

BTW, I think trying to put it on the stand while astride the bike would be next to impossible. I've seen it done on mopeds and smaller bikes, but a 540 lb. bike would be a stretch.
 
Most important for stability, make sure both feet of the center stand are touching down at the start. With your left hand on the left grip and right hand at the passenger bar, you can feel when it's right. Keeping the front wheel straight, right foot on the center stand pedal, put all your weight on the pedal and lift straight up with the right hand and the bike should pop right up on the stand.

Hope this helps.
 
The only problem with facing a bike uphill when putting it on the centerstand is getting it back off the centerstand when the bike is facing uphill.
 
Quietguy, 2 easy tricks to this...
Trick 1 is to make sure the far side (right side) of the center stand is firmly on the ground. It won't fall over that side. Then place left hand on left hand grip, right hand at rear left grab rail. Trick 2 is put your right foot pointing to the back of the bike, then step and pull up with your right hand.
Let me know if this works for you. Lot of folks point their right foot toward the front of the bike creating weaker leverage.
 
+1 on what redbirds said.

I can't do foot backward thing though. mine is forward.
 
Thread starter
Thank you everyone, for the tips, links and videos - all very helpful.

I'll definitely "get my courage up" and give this a go - it's been quite awhile since I've tried the centerstand stuff.
 
Your right leg does all the work to get the bike up.
If you are using your arm or back, you are doing it wrong.
 
As for the original question of can it be lifted while on the saddle....and I'd say no, definitely not.

At least by me. Not a chance
 
I'm your size and I could never get the bike up with while straddling it.

As said above, your leg should do most of the work. If you don't get it in one push you can also use the front brake to keep the bike partially up until you can reset your footing and give it another good push to take it over the edge. This requires a somewhat different position though -- two hands on bars, right foot facing forward pushing down on stand.

I hated the centre stand at first. Being left handed, the entire process/motion is backwards for me and I have probably half the coordination I would if it were reversed. Once you do it a few times it gets easier.
 
Am I the only one who cheats by riding the bike onto a length of 2x lumber them putting the center stand down?

It's a must do to get the Ural onto the center stand.
 
The CB is easy to get up, unless you have a back problem or something.

Try a ST1300. I can barely get it on the stand and usually need help getting it off.
 
I was always scared of the center stand as well. I am small and light and weak. I got a friend to spot me for a few practice tries until I was sure of myself and am now competent. It wasn't the lift that was scary but the drop. But knowing that I could put the side stand down was a big help. An uphill driveway is a problem, as someone else said. Makes getting it down again much more challenging.
My experience with the lift: It was really hard until I watched the videos and learned to push straight down and lift straight up. If you try to pull the bike back, it won't work well at all. Straight up, straight down.
Good luck!
 
Lord Popgun_imp said:
The CB is easy to get up, unless you have a back problem or something.

Try a ST1300. I can barely get it on the stand and usually need help getting it off.

+1. I carry a wedge board in my trunk for getting my ST on the center stand. My gosh, what a pain. If my wife is around she will help, but by yourself it is tough.
 
The CB is pretty easy getting on the center stand, but my '99 BMW 1100RT was SUPER easy. My 2004 KLR 650 with an after-market center stands was impossible to do solo.
 
Ferret, I might have to start doing that. Can you post a pic of your wedge?
 
Back
Top