center stand

cj599_imp

Running like a top
Thread starter
d9421f3bcfcc16e01b25a3778f19ab1f.png


I am trying to order all the pieces I need to reinstall my center stand (previous owner removed and lost all parts but the stand itself)

part number 4 has me confused can any one take some pics of the center stand assemble so i can see where the springs and various parts go?

also needing a picture of the brake and turn signal cables and how they are routed on the rear fend if possible thanks in advance google and the varies searches i have done here havn't helped me much
 
The smaller spring goes inside the larger one. The C-hook goes onto a pin welded to the frame.

Easiest way to install is to hook the springs and C-hook on first, with the stand dangling. Slide the pivot through the frame bracket, well into the stand. That's the pivot point for the next step, which is to grab the stand and leverage the stand so the pivot pin will align with the frame bracket. You might want to have a long drift or screwdriver to slide into the other end of the pivot as it comes close to alignment.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
The smaller spring goes inside the larger one. The C-hook goes onto a pin welded to the frame.

Easiest way to install is to hook the springs and C-hook on first, with the stand dangling. Slide the pivot through the frame bracket, well into the stand. That's the pivot point for the next step, which is to grab the stand and leverage the stand so the pivot pin will align with the frame bracket. You might want to have a long drift or screwdriver to slide into the other end of the pivot as it comes close to alignment.
I would of sat there for ten hours on the workshop floor trying to work that out had I needed to without ever thinking one spring went inside the other. :s
 
Tev62_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
The smaller spring goes inside the larger one. The C-hook goes onto a pin welded to the frame.

Easiest way to install is to hook the springs and C-hook on first, with the stand dangling. Slide the pivot through the frame bracket, well into the stand. That's the pivot point for the next step, which is to grab the stand and leverage the stand so the pivot pin will align with the frame bracket. You might want to have a long drift or screwdriver to slide into the other end of the pivot as it comes close to alignment.
I would of sat there for ten hours on the workshop floor trying to work that out had I needed to without ever thinking one spring went inside the other. :s
Did you put some grease on the inner spring?

If not, I suppose you could "spray" some in there, or just saturate both by hand squeezing some in. If squeezing, you may never have to lube them again.
 
I wouldn't grease them; they'll be a grime magnet that way. They change length together so there really isn't any relative movement between them.
 
The service manual shows a very good picture from right side. It shows the spring plate (item 4) just on a pin. No nut or anything. Also notice there is no nut in the part listing.

The 2013 models are different and do not have a spring plate.

For reference it is shown in section 2 of the manual. Page 2-23 in the ‘13-‘14 manual.

CJ, check your PMs
 
LakeWylieJoe_imp said:
I wouldn't grease them; they'll be a grime magnet that way. They change length together so there really isn't any relative movement between them.
Been greasing for decades without an issue (usually just once per bike). Did the first time when the springs were encrusted in orange/brown rust.

Since the springs stretch, so does the enamel on the spring. Eventually it will crack. The springs are constantly washed in anything wet on the road.

If you don't ride in wet riding conditions, then yes, I wouldn't bother (e.g. the desert regions).

As with anything, to each there own.
 
Big Question: WHAT YEAR IS YOUR BIKE???

2013 and 2014 have a different centerstand. I wouldnt doubt if the 2017 has a different stand.

I remember installing a centerstand on my CTX.. Holy crap...lol Just bring it to the dealer. Those springs...
 
Thread starter
Rox_imp said:
Big Question: WHAT YEAR IS YOUR BIKE???

2013 and 2014 have a different centerstand. I wouldnt doubt if the 2017 has a different stand.

I remember installing a centerstand on my CTX.. Holy crap...lol Just bring it to the dealer. Those springs...
in my signature it states 2014 standard, i believe i have it licked just waiting on parts and i have to order the bracket from yoshimura
also i been a mechanic for 17 years and have plenty of experience with springs doing large drum brakes often also i have a large assortment of spring tools
 
Rox_imp said:
Big Question: WHAT YEAR IS YOUR BIKE???

2013 and 2014 have a different centerstand. I wouldnt doubt if the 2017 has a different stand.

I remember installing a centerstand on my CTX.. Holy crap...lol Just bring it to the dealer. Those springs...
Rox, I have to laugh. My co-worker has a CTX1300 and tried to put a center stand on it. Messed up the springs. Got new springs and took it to the dealer. They said they had never put one on a CTX and it took the shop mechs and my co-worker helping to get the stand on. He said it was a J.O.B

OTOH, they only charged him $10 since he helped :D
 
Thread starter
got my bracket from yoshimura today. I fount the stand wasn't that tough too install, The bracket seamed way worse. The hard part was getting the spacers in, but anyways now my center stand is installed and functional finally

58618969f83a9ce6948151c6bee770dc.jpg

this is the spacer behind the bracket that's tough to get in. I used a allen key from the back side through the threaded hole to hold the spacer. Then pushed the bracket over and carefully jam the screw in, I used locktite on the screws. yoshi didnt send the locking washers like I ordered but instead 6mm screws mislabeled

cbcf3a5e806f1e53c06de2a4e2a0ef0d.jpg
 
Back
Top