CB650R Neo Sports Cafe Concept

Guth_imp

Road warrior
Thread starter
Yes, it's clearly a concept bike missing all kinds of stuff for the street. Even though it doesn't have the core components of the Hawk GT (v-twin, twin-spar aluminum frame with a single-sided swingarm) this is probably the closest Honda has come (and likely ever will come) to that design. More details over at HondaProKevin

 
Thanks for posting. I guess I'm stuck in the past, as the styling looks so contrived. If they build it, I hope it's successful, but it's not for me!
 
Think so too. Together with my 2 other retros. Even Honda had no attractive bike in their program for too a long a time. And then the CB appeared and will probably not too far away from now disappear again, as all lovely stuff do sooner or later.

Wisedrum
 
I like how the pipes sweep down, not unlike the waterfall pipes of the old 400SS. Not a bad looking bike. That seat doesn’t look too comfortable though.
 
Houtman_imp said:
Most of these new bikes don't do anything for me . I think that my CB 1100's are probably the last bikes I will own.
Yes, that how I think about it too. Somehow most motorcycle designers are stuck between a praying mantis/insectoid design (especially followed by Kawa and KTM) and again an other '60s-'70s copy (used by many, esp Triumph) while some try to do both at the same time, like the Yamaha XSR900.
They seem to be unable to come up with something really new. Last modern-but-graceful design is my other bike: a Moto Guzzi Griso. I couldn't resist the CB1100 but I am still hopeful to one day see a truly new design.
 
Having ridden my Wife's Triumph street Twin a number of times and seen her beebopping around in front of me on our rides, I would add the modern Triumphs to that list. The Street Twin and Speed Twins really perfectly capture that Modern-But-Graceful vibe.
 
Houtman_imp said:
You mean it is like looking at a picture of a girl ?
:rofl:
bioman_imp said:
Houtman_imp said:
Most of these new bikes don't do anything for me . I think that my CB 1100's are probably the last bikes I will own.
Yes, that how I think about it too. Somehow most motorcycle designers are stuck between a praying mantis/insectoid design (especially followed by Kawa and KTM) and again an other '60s-'70s copy (used by many, esp Triumph) while some try to do both at the same time, like the Yamaha XSR900.
They seem to be unable to come up with something really new. Last modern-but-graceful design is my other bike: a Moto Guzzi Griso. I couldn't resist the CB1100 but I am still hopeful to one day see a truly new design.
I think this bike is the best incarnation I've yet seen of a modern standard or 21st-century UJM. It's not wedded to outmoded technologies and architectures for the sake of styling and it's not pointlessly insectoid (which is purely a misguided styling exercise without aesthetic merit). The styling of the CB650R looks like classic form-follows-function...with flair. It has a compact cat/muffler mounted down low where it contributes to better balance & handling, and with liquid cooling it produces plenty of power and torque to haul its 447 lbs. / 203 kg around on its sportbike-standard 120/70 (F) 180/55 ® tires, so lots of choices there.

7c94524b6655e507a42a44acd9ac3b57.jpg


For comparison:


Admittedly, the CB650R engine has a very different character than the CB1100. One's meant to be sportier and one's mean to be more sedate.

The main thing I would change is I still like a basic analog tach and speedo pod. Not totally sold on digital dashboards for bikes.

I'd really like to test-ride one. I have a feeling it's a very sweet ride that handles great.
 
I followed one on a ride one day. I liked the look and sound of it. I’d like to ride one.
 
I had the chance to ride one of the non-Neo F models, and it really had to be revved a lot more than I'd want just to ride around town. Just not enough torque down low.
 
Well, to be honest, personally for me, if this 650 Neo Cafe came out earlier I might have get it instead of my CB1100. Nothing wrong with CB1100, but the 650 feel more lighter and more agile for daily ride. CB1100 felt like weekend relax cruise, can't fit into rushing everywhere working workhorse.
 
pekingduck_imp said:
I had the chance to ride one of the non-Neo F models, and it really had to be revved a lot more than I'd want just to ride around town. Just not enough torque down low.
I believe that. The engine is a different animal. I'm used to riding a CBR250R, so making power with RPM is nothing that bothers me. On the other hand, not sure I'd want to manage the power curve of a CRR600RR either. The CB650R seems to strike a nice balance of the capacity to reach high RPM but tempered with a usable torque curve as well.

zirconxi_imp said:
Well, to be honest, personally for me, if this 650 Neo Cafe came out earlier I might have get it instead of my CB1100. Nothing wrong with CB1100, but the 650 feel more lighter and more agile for daily ride. CB1100 felt like weekend relax cruise, can't fit into rushing everywhere working workhorse.
There's a lot to be said for the virtue of light weight in a motorcycle.

The Honda UK site has a lot more information, including published horsepower and torque:
[ul] [li]Max. Power Output 70kW (94 HP) @ 12,000rpm[/li] [li]Max. Torque 64Nm (47 lb-ft) @ 8,500rpm
[/li][/ul]
 
It's amazing that engine technology has allowed power in a streetable 4 stroke street bike to be developed at 12,000 rpms. My old 73 RD 350, basically a racing 2 stroke, had a redline of 8500 rpms, and a pretty short engine life if kept at those rpms
 
Stichill_imp said:
pekingduck_imp said:
I had the chance to ride one of the non-Neo F models, and it really had to be revved a lot more than I'd want just to ride around town. Just not enough torque down low.
I believe that. The engine is a different animal. I'm used to riding a CBR250R, so making power with RPM is nothing that bothers me. On the other hand, not sure I'd want to manage the power curve of a CRR600RR either. The CB650R seems to strike a nice balance of the capacity to reach high RPM but tempered with a usable torque curve as well.

zirconxi_imp said:
Well, to be honest, personally for me, if this 650 Neo Cafe came out earlier I might have get it instead of my CB1100. Nothing wrong with CB1100, but the 650 feel more lighter and more agile for daily ride. CB1100 felt like weekend relax cruise, can't fit into rushing everywhere working workhorse.
There's a lot to be said for the virtue of light weight in a motorcycle.

The Honda UK site has a lot more information, including published horsepower and torque:
[ul] [li]Max. Power Output 70kW (94 HP) @ 12,000rpm[/li] [li]Max. Torque 64Nm (47 lb-ft) @ 8,500rpm
[/li][/ul]

Oooh...that MATT JEANS BLUE METALLIC one...yum!
 
Back
Top