CB1100 - Someone with Basic Skills

mike85_imp

First service completed
Thread starter
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on the forum so please bear with me if this has been asked before. I did some searching around the forum and found somewhat similar threads, but nothing that truly answered my question.

That being said, I've grown up riding dirt bikes (nothing bigger than 200cc) and I am very confident in my basic riding skills, however, I am on the fence if a CB1100 would be a "good" first street bike. Just to give you some perspective, I'm 33 yo, 5' 10" about 230 pounds (all jokes and laughs aside, I am a pretty built guy). I've also sat on the CB1100 and can almost flat foot it. I'm looking for a bike to cruise around on, maybe a few commutes to work once in a while, and a short trip here or there. I wouldn't classify myself as a thrill seeker, but more so just want to get out and enjoy the road when the weather permits. I also want a bike that has enough power to cruise the highway and safely pass cars without pushing the bike to it's limits. I love the lines and look of the CB1100 and really think it checks all of the boxes I am looking for in a bike. That said, although I want a bike I can, "grow old with," safety obviously comes first, which is why I am taking the time to write this post.

From everything I've read and seen on Youtube, everyone seems to agree the CB1100 is a powerful bike, but, "it will not do anything you don't want it to do," as one person said best.

I welcome your honest feedback and look forward to hopefully joining the CB1100 family.

Thanks
 
:hello: Howdy Mike and welcome to the forum.

With your dirt background and general size I would think you would have no trouble handling a CB 1100. IT's really a very easy bike to ride with good torque spead and great brakes.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
:hello: Howdy Mike and welcome to the forum.

With your dirt background and general size I would think you would have no trouble handling a CB 1100. IT's really a very easy bike to ride with good torque spead and great brakes.

Thanks Ferret, I appreciate the feedback. 1100ccs sounds intimidating, but I have a lot of respect for what the bike is capable of and recognize I will have to take my time with it.
 
The CB1100 is a heavy bike and I think that puts a lot of people off. But it handles it's weight very well with a low center of gravity and as ferret said, great torque. I think that quote "it will not do anything you don't want it to do" probably refers more to (and this is just my opinion) that it isn't so much of a sport bike as a sport/touring bike. So it does a lot of things well but doesn't necessarily excel at anything. It's just a good all around street bike. As for your first street bike that afore mentioned low center of gravity and great torque make it very easy to ride.

Edit: Misread that quote. It pretty much won't do anything you don't want it to. I stand by the rest though. My honest opinion of the bike.
 
I think given your build and experience, you'll have no problems. 1100 can sound intimidating but this engine is strong on low-end torque, plus it's very smooth and tractable, which makes it easy to ride. You'll love it!
 
Welcome! I think my experience so far could help. I bought the CB1100 as my first street bike with very little experience. I am about 6ft and 220 lbs - it is not too heavy or tall for a beginner of my size. It is pretty fast for a beginner bike, but never scared me because I simply didn't go full throttle for a month or two. Power is progressive, and there is a lot of it on tap. You can easily pass in normal highway conditions (70 to 80mph around here) without downshifting.

It also is pretty tough to stall. You really have to mess it up to stall this bike. Brakes are the same story. I have a standard 2014 (no abs) and I have had people in traffic force me to the limit of traction. At the limit I was able to modulate it to keep from locking up and was so happy with how well it behaves under hard braking. Proper form, not leaning or jerking the brake, balanced front/back brake usage etc all played a factor. But still, I am a beginner, and I was able to emergency stop in real traffic, and it was confidence inspiring.

I cruise around and commute to work a couple days a week. I have owned the CB for 6 months, and totally love it. I ride it every chance I get! Looking forward to my first long trip this summer.

TL;DR If you are a responsible adult this is a great beginner bike.
 
Most of my riding is done on rural back roads, although I have also ridden on 2 and 4-lane highways. Some days I lay back and cruise, other days I enjoy enthusiastically sweeping through the curves. The motor in the CB1100 makes it an easy motorcycle to ride. I seldom see the tachometer at greater than 3500 RPM, unless I am making a quick pass on a 2-lane highway. It has been described as a lazy man's bike because it is so easy to ride.

The CB1100 is a heavy motorcycle at 560 pounds. It also feels top heavy because of the tall upright motor and large gas tank. However all that disappears once you shift out of first gear. On windy highways the weight actually make the CB1100 a very stable motorcycle.

There are a couple of things that can make a long ride uncomfortable. The handlegrips are small in diameter and rock hard. They will cramp your throttle hand within an hour. However a pair of Grip Puppy slip-on foam covers can eliminate that.

The second complaint of most rides is the seat. I weigh close to what you do. Numb bum sets in after 1 1/2 hours. There are a number of ways to dealing with it. The Coleman MadDog seat pad is the least expensive, but will only give you an addition 1/2 hour of comfort. Others have tried air cushions, and various after market seats. The are numerous threads on this forum to read on this subject.

Overall the CB1100 is a very pleasant motorcycle to ride, and its good looks will often receive compliments when you stop.
 
Hi Mike,

With your size and build, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. As to the question of power for the highway, it's fine. I'm used to cruisers with a bit more low-end torque, so I find that I need to downshift the CB1100 on passing at highway speeds more than I'm used to with my BMW, but that's just me. It isn't a problem from my perspective because I get far more of a kick out of motorcycles on side roads than I do on the highway anyway, but it definitely isn't a sport bike.

I'm 5'11, 180lbs and the thing feels like a featherweight to me. Where in Maryland do you live? The Honda dealer in Crofton goes out of their way to push you out on a test ride. There is no substitute for a test ride in my opinion. Others do test rides as well, but these guys really encourage it, leading you on a nice course that takes the bike through its paces.
 
Thread starter
tommymck_imp said:
Hi Mike,

With your size and build, you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever. As to the question of power for the highway, it's fine. I'm used to cruisers with a bit more low-end torque, so I find that I need to downshift the CB1100 on passing at highway speeds more than I'm used to with my BMW, but that's just me. It isn't a problem from my perspective because I get far more of a kick out of motorcycles on side roads than I do on the highway anyway, but it definitely isn't a sport bike.

I'm 5'11, 180lbs and the thing feels like a featherweight to me. Where in Maryland do you live? The Honda dealer in Crofton goes out of their way to push you out on a test ride. There is no substitute for a test ride in my opinion. Others do test rides as well, but these guys really encourage it, leading you on a nice course that takes the bike through its paces.
Thanks, Tommy. I am in northern Baltimore county and have actually been in contact with Crofton (I can't stand Pete's cycle up by me). I would love to test ride, but have put off actually getting my license, which I am doing at the end of June. Just from sitting on it and based on everyone's feedback, I feel very confident this is now the bike for me.
 
Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum. To my mind, your question has a three part answer, and obviously just my opinion. First, I think many if not most of us started with smaller displacement bikes to learn the mechanics of actually riding and operating a motorcycle. With your previous experience in riding dirt bikes, I think you are probably competent with the mechanics.

Second, CB1100, weight, size, and power. The CB1100 is a joy to ride, and I find it a easy to ride in all situations, slow speed around town, cruising speed on the freeway, and everything in between. It is not a crotch rocket, but does have plenty of power. With your physical size, you should have no problem handling it. Ever see a 140ish lb. woman riding a Harley that weighs a lot more than the CB?...I have.

Third is where my only concern might be. Like many of us, I started riding on the street with small displacement at age 17, and I am 66 now. As the years went on, I went to bigger displacements as my "street" experience and riding knowledge increased. It was a progression, because riding schools did not exist. Riding the street, in my opinion takes a different skill and mind set to do safely than riding in the dirt, and from what you said it sounds like you have little or no street experience. So for a first street bike, my best suggestion would be to complete a good motorcycle riding & safety course first, regardless of what street bike you decide is right for you. Most good courses supply a bike, and every thing but helmet and riding gear. The cost of a course is not prohibitive, compared to the price of a bike and an investment in safety.

Combined with a safety course, I think the CB1100 would be a choice you would be very happy with.
 
Hey, Mike, welcome to the forum. Like you, I grew up riding dirt bikes. My first real road bike was a V65 Magna about 20 years ago. That bike was a little much for a beginning road rider. The CB1100 is different. With your riding skills, plus some knowledge and practice with road safety procedures, you'll be okay on the CB1100. It will seem heavy at first, but you'll get used to it. You won't grow out of it, unless you want to start spending a lot of time at the track. It's a great platform to build the bike you want. I use mine for commuting and fun day rides. I have yet to make a multi-day trip. With the closeout price on the '14s, it's the best deal in motorcyledom right now. You won't get a better bike for that price. One piece of advice: After you get your license and your bike (I hope you're taking the safety foundations course for licensing) and spend a couple of months getting a really good feel for your new bike, then sign up for an advanced riding class through your local college or riders group. It's a far better investment of money and time than adding performance upgrades to your bike. That can come later ;)
 
Thread starter
2017EX_imp said:
Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum. To my mind, your question has a three part answer, and obviously just my opinion. First, I think many if not most of us started with smaller displacement bikes to learn the mechanics of actually riding and operating a motorcycle. With your previous experience in riding dirt bikes, I think you are probably competent with the mechanics.

Second, CB1100, weight, size, and power. The CB1100 is a joy to ride, and I find it a easy to ride in all situations, slow speed around town, cruising speed on the freeway, and everything in between. It is not a crotch rocket, but does have plenty of power. With your physical size, you should have no problem handling it. Ever see a 140ish lb. woman riding a Harley that weighs a lot more than the CB?...I have.

Third is where my only concern might be. Like many of us, I started riding on the street with small displacement at age 17, and I am 66 now. As the years went on, I went to bigger displacements as my "street" experience and riding knowledge increased. It was a progression, because riding schools did not exist. Riding the street, in my opinion takes a different skill and mind set to do safely than riding in the dirt, and from what you said it sounds like you have little or no street experience. So for a first street bike, my best suggestion would be to complete a good motorcycle riding & safety course first, regardless of what street bike you decide is right for you. Most good courses supply a bike, and every thing but helmet and riding gear. The cost of a course is not prohibitive, compared to the price of a bike and an investment in safety.

Combined with a safety course, I think the CB1100 would be a choice you would be very happy with.
Thank you for the feedback. I will be taking a safety course at the end if June. I am working on a deal for a 2014 CB1100 and I want to secure it before it is gone. Thant said. I probably won’t be doing a ton of riding between now and then. I do live on 3 acres and will probably do some light riding around my yard and my neighborhood.
 
Quote:There are a couple of things that can make a long ride uncomfortable. The handlegrips are small in diameter and rock hard. They will cramp your throttle hand within an hour. However a pair of Grip Puppy slip-on foam covers can eliminate that.
I've never experienced the slightest bit of hand-cramp on my CB1100, and most of my rides are all-day affairs. I think hand-cramping is more a 'you' thing than a CB1100 thing.

Quote:The second complaint of most rides is the seat. I weigh close to what you do. Numb bum sets in after 1 1/2 hours. There are a number of ways to dealing with it. The Coleman MadDog seat pad is the least expensive, but will only give you an addition 1/2 hour of comfort. Others have tried air cushions, and various after market seats. The are numerous threads on this forum to read on this subject.
There is nothing wrong with the stock seat. The reason for the 'numb-bum syndrome' isn't the seat, it's the seating position. If the bike required a greater degree of forward lean, thus taking weight off of the tailbone, there would be less numbing. This would create other issues, but it would alleviate the butt numbing. The only way to avoid this issue with the current seating position would be to give the CB1100 a virtual easy chair of a seat, similar to those on an R1200RT or Goldwing. Otherwise, any bench seat on a standard seating-position motorcycle is going to cause numb-butt after a couple of hours.

The solution isn't to run through a bunch of different, uglier and uglier seats, hoping for some magic panacea. No, the solution is the easiest one imaginable. Simply get off of the seat. Stand on the pegs and pump your legs up and down every so often.

Problem solved.
 
Mike - If I read your post correctly, you are not planning on using this bike for long trips, so the relative comfort of the stock seat should not be an issue. As to the grips, I think there are many easy and cheap solutions. I use foam grips that slide over the stock grips, which I like many people here, find hard and small.

This bike is pretty close to perfect for the uses you intend for it. If you decide that longer trips are something of interest, then the CB will still be a good choice.

Good luck with your class and I hope you join the family.
 
mike85_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum. To my mind, your question has a three part answer, and obviously just my opinion. First, I think many if not most of us started with smaller displacement bikes to learn the mechanics of actually riding and operating a motorcycle. With your previous experience in riding dirt bikes, I think you are probably competent with the mechanics.

Second, CB1100, weight, size, and power. The CB1100 is a joy to ride, and I find it a easy to ride in all situations, slow speed around town, cruising speed on the freeway, and everything in between. It is not a crotch rocket, but does have plenty of power. With your physical size, you should have no problem handling it. Ever see a 140ish lb. woman riding a Harley that weighs a lot more than the CB?...I have.

Third is where my only concern might be. Like many of us, I started riding on the street with small displacement at age 17, and I am 66 now. As the years went on, I went to bigger displacements as my "street" experience and riding knowledge increased. It was a progression, because riding schools did not exist. Riding the street, in my opinion takes a different skill and mind set to do safely than riding in the dirt, and from what you said it sounds like you have little or no street experience. So for a first street bike, my best suggestion would be to complete a good motorcycle riding & safety course first, regardless of what street bike you decide is right for you. Most good courses supply a bike, and every thing but helmet and riding gear. The cost of a course is not prohibitive, compared to the price of a bike and an investment in safety.

Combined with a safety course, I think the CB1100 would be a choice you would be very happy with.
Thank you for the feedback. I will be taking a safety course at the end if June. I am working on a deal for a 2014 CB1100 and I want to secure it before it is gone. Thant said. I probably won’t be doing a ton of riding between now and then. I do live on 3 acres and will probably do some light riding around my yard and my neighborhood.
Thank you for the feedback. I will be taking a safety course at the end if June. I am working on a deal for a 2014 CB1100 and I want to secure it before it is gone. Thant said. I probably won’t be doing a ton of riding between now and then. I do live on 3 acres and will probably do some light riding around my neighborhood.
Good to hear, and a wise decision Mike. With every new bike I have ever owned, I started out at slow speeds, no traffic around the neighborhood to get the feel of the bike first. I also agree with Roper that taking the advanced course in addition to the basic course would be time and money well spent.
 
Hi Mike, welcome to the forum and glad to hear you're interested in the CB.

I'm the same age as you (33) and bought the CB1100 for the same purpose (to grow old with). I rode sportbikes for a decade and got tired of leaning over on a crotch rocket.

I'm 6'3" and 195lbs so I can't comment to our differences there, but the CB is a bike worthy of all day riding. I have done several 200+ mile days without any issues. I've had the bike offroad and to the racetrack, also without any issues (besides dragging peg feelers, as to be expected). From a power perspective, you'll be fine. The way this bike is geared and how the power is delivered is pretty flexible. You can hop off the line hard if you want to, but that's a full twist of the wrist, and the CB will trundle around town all day at 3K RPMs and is a joy to cruise on.

This bike is bulletproof, runs like a champ, looks fantastic, turns heads, has a storied history, and will last the miles. You're making a great choice.
 
The CB1100 is a well behaved bike. It is surprisingly good at low speed maneuvering. I can do full lock turns with both feet up easily. Brakes are very good. The power is more than ample for any sane person and it comes on in a predictable manner. It is smooth and well behaved at freeway speeds too. I believe it to be a fine choice for someone with basic motorcycle skills looking to transition to a full size street bike. You mentioned riding it around your yard. I would recommend reconsidering that. Heavy, high powered bikes can be squirrely on grass or other low traction surfaces like dirt or gravel. It's made for paved roads. You can safely ride on most dirt or gravel roads, but it will likely feel weird, nothing like a dual sport bike would. I can't wait to see some pics. Ride safe.
 
mike85_imp said:
2017EX_imp said:
Hello Mike, welcome to the Forum. To my mind, your question has a three part answer, and obviously just my opinion. First, I think many if not most of us started with smaller displacement bikes to learn the mechanics of actually riding and operating a motorcycle. With your previous experience in riding dirt bikes, I think you are probably competent with the mechanics.

Second, CB1100, weight, size, and power. The CB1100 is a joy to ride, and I find it a easy to ride in all situations, slow speed around town, cruising speed on the freeway, and everything in between. It is not a crotch rocket, but does have plenty of power. With your physical size, you should have no problem handling it. Ever see a 140ish lb. woman riding a Harley that weighs a lot more than the CB?...I have.

Third is where my only concern might be. Like many of us, I started riding on the street with small displacement at age 17, and I am 66 now. As the years went on, I went to bigger displacements as my "street" experience and riding knowledge increased. It was a progression, because riding schools did not exist. Riding the street, in my opinion takes a different skill and mind set to do safely than riding in the dirt, and from what you said it sounds like you have little or no street experience. So for a first street bike, my best suggestion would be to complete a good motorcycle riding & safety course first, regardless of what street bike you decide is right for you. Most good courses supply a bike, and every thing but helmet and riding gear. The cost of a course is not prohibitive, compared to the price of a bike and an investment in safety.

Combined with a safety course, I think the CB1100 would be a choice you would be very happy with.
Thank you for the feedback. I will be taking a safety course at the end if June. I am working on a deal for a 2014 CB1100 and I want to secure it before it is gone. Thant said. I probably won’t be doing a ton of riding between now and then. I do live on 3 acres and will probably do some light riding around my yard and my neighborhood.
Thank you for the feedback. I will be taking a safety course at the end if June. I am working on a deal for a 2014 CB1100 and I want to secure it before it is gone. Thant said. I probably won’t be doing a ton of riding between now and then. I do live on 3 acres and will probably do some light riding around my yard and my neighborhood.
In Maryland anyway, you can get a lerner's permit by showing up to the MVA and taking the knowledge test. I'd definitely recommend taking the MSF course, but if you're looking to get the bike and get a little practical experience on neighborhood surface streets, that's a way to do it legally.
 
I grew up riding dirt bikes as well and that's great training for handling a street bike. The CB11 is fast enough to be fun but not a bike that will try to kill you like a V-Max. It's a solid choice.

Chip
 
Back
Top