CB1100 Questions from a potential new owner

Rlet's.....Best thing I did to either of my CB1100's. No joke. Would not ride a CB 1100 without them. Had them installed before I even took delivery from the shop. To me Rlets and CB Hondas are synonymous.

As for the CB 1100 I am in the camp that it is what it is. If you can't live with 87 horsepower and 65 ft lbs of torque, then simply buy something else. There are lots of bikes out there, some with smaller motors even, that make a lot more horsepower, if that is what toots your horn.
 
Throttle Body Quarter mod...STILL one of my favorites...While not an exact science which can be replicated consistently in a lab under controlled conditions, post quarter mod my seat of the butt dyno (SOBD) indicated at the time a 25 perCENT increase in performance....Your SOBD results will probably vary.

c7c1665bd96ba4dc134e00acb857ac06.jpg
 
If those that think this motorcycle does't have enough power would stop and think for a moment, I am pretty confident they would realise that what they really want is better power (and torque) to vehicle plus the rider mass ratio. All the the power modifications discussed above will not increase that substantially for this 255 (+/-) kg m byotorcycle.

looking at the round numbes:
Unmodified CB1100 is rated at 65 kW and its wet mass is 255 kilograms.
My body mass is 85 kilogams, gear and long-distance travel cargo is 35 kilograms.
With the above, the power/mass ratio is 173 Wats/kilogram.
I could do some or all modifications sugested above and get (perhaps) 70 kW. with the same travel mass this would result in 186 W/kg.
Or, I could loose 10 kilograms and do with only 25 kilograms of gear and cargo, and have 183 W/kg.
Neither case is enough of an improvement to choose that instead of finding a more powerfull and lighter bike. But in that case I will probably loose some of the characteristics that make this particular bike attractive to me: all-day riding comfort and reliability. Would it be worth it? Depends on what the numbers would be for that other bike, and what is that power/mass coeficient that I believe I need for enjoyable long-distance travel.
But in any case, I would look at other bikes before I would look at modifications that would increase the power of CB1100.
(And shedding ten kilos and trevelling light must not be completely ignored as a solution ;)
 
and as first comes always your own drive-skill how fast you are on the way....only after time the bike-power

in this video from the honda presentation of the CB 1000 neo sports he tells a fine story about the other bike-jounarlists which criticized the bike would only have 145hp better would be 180 or more like other aktual power bikes.....

and after on the track :
all critics could not follow the guide who only drove a honda crossrunner, only he and a other one could follow....



and for me with our CB ....if i was any times in the "black forest" (dream area for biking with a lot hot curves like your dragon-tail and hills/mountains) with realy good driving BMW-GS colleagues ...well yes i had often still only one problem: lack of lean angle !
 
Thread starter
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
 
The bike doesn't have ABS.

As for trolling, this is not an ordinary board so tread carefully. Make it funny, you'll likely be excused; if you're rude, you won't be.
 
Thread starter
The ferret_imp said:
Well we talk a lot about Rlet's because the motorcycle is so good, in the 6 years this board had been active we have found little else to talk about with regards to the CB, so we discuss Rlet's lol.

BTW have you seen this CB 1100?

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=4849&highlight=Freddie+Spencer
thats good fun lol...

Certainly did, actually posted a link on here sometime yesterday I believe, it's a possibility although I'm not sure I'll 100% go that route, the black is starting to grow on me and I just had the bike for 2 hours :excited:
 
Cormanus_imp said:
The bike doesn't have ABS.

As for trolling, this is not an ordinary board so tread carefully. Make it funny, you'll likely be excused; if you're rude, you won't be.
Its also missing the bar end dampeners. One way to save weight I guess :P
 
If you don’t like the rack put it on this site in the for sale section and it will be gone post haste if you’re not looking to get retail for it. I think you need 20-25 posts total to access the For Sale section to be able to post there. Good looking bike.

Don’t remember it in the thread since a lot of time was spent discussing the 80hp range the motor is in but if you put the spurs to the bike it will get a different attitude north of 5000 RPM. Not super bike attitude mind you, but more like a chipped diesel about to go hunt a Prius. While riding the CB1100 I never wish I had more HP. The HP number is in large part mitigated by how this motor delivers the torque at all RPMs. Especially in the lower ranges.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
lol - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
lol - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.
lol - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.
E11even, very intelligent and observed statement :thumbsup:
 
First, congrats on your new bike! I had a '14 standard and loved the look, as it has a nice balance of black and chrome. I like its tank and Honda emblem, the grey silver streak outlining the tank, the black wheels. Wouldn't have minded a bit of silver on the engine cases, but all black there isn't bad.

RE:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
I think the whole RLET thing organically took a life of its own here. The underlying factor that probably gave the "movement" so much life was that these seemingly easy to install things were so darn difficult to actually do so for many of us here. All sorts of recipes and suggestions were thrown at those who wondered if there was some mysterious trick to get the little guys on. 99.5% of all the posts regarding RLETS are friendly, tongue-in-cheek perhaps...but trolling? IDK.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
Glad to hear this because I actually thought you were going to be disappointed based some of your initial posts here. For me, the '14 standard I had and the '17ex I currently own have always had more than enough get-up-and-go when I've wanted / needed.

I hope you enjoy the bike!
 
peterbaron_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
lol - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.
lol - that is the saddest thing I've ever read.
E11even, very intelligent and observed statement :thumbsup:
E11even, very intelligent and observed statement :thumbsup:
What a lunchbox let down. :(
 
enjoy the bike!

I have added a Power Commander VB to my 2013, along with an ECU re-flash. It makes an extraordinary difference. The few that debate this haven't ridden a CB1100 with the mods they are denigrating.

Speaking of "extraordinary" (def:remarkable or very unusual), it is wise to never use the word farkle on this board. Your posts will be ignored, or criticized. :angel:

It is part of the idiosyncratic behavior of many members to be quite judgmental about the words one chooses to describe the accessories they have mounted on their bikes. :angel:

I'm not kidding. It is in the archives.:angel::angel:

Overall, this is a good forum, but you are expected to color within the lines that your predecessors have drawn.
 
Thread starter
Lord Popgun_imp said:
Cormanus_imp said:
The bike doesn't have ABS.

As for trolling, this is not an ordinary board so tread carefully. Make it funny, you'll likely be excused; if you're rude, you won't be.
Its also missing the bar end dampeners. One way to save weight I guess :P
Its also missing the bar end dampeners. One way to save weight I guess :P
The ferret_imp said:
And has after market mirrors
Frulk_imp said:
If you don’t like the rack put it on this site in the for sale section and it will be gone post haste if you’re not looking to get retail for it. I think you need 20-25 posts total to access the For Sale section to be able to post there. Good looking bike.

Don’t remember it in the thread since a lot of time was spent discussing the 80hp range the motor is in but if you put the spurs to the bike it will get a different attitude north of 5000 RPM. Not super bike attitude mind you, but more like a chipped diesel about to go hunt a Prius. While riding the CB1100 I never wish I had more HP. The HP number is in large part mitigated by how this motor delivers the torque at all RPMs. Especially in the lower ranges.

The guy I bought the bike from(an older gentleman in his late 50's) was pretty legit and transparent as far as I could tell. Bought the bike new in a crate at Huntington Beach Honda some time in 2018 and had all the dealership ppw to show for it. I confronted him on the ABS and warranty(6 years as opposed to 8 advertised) it was honestly to the best of his knowledge. The bike was victim to a minor tip-over while being parked on the street shortly after purchase- the outcome was minor scuffs on one of the black painted covers, and bent handlebars which he replaced with OEM bars with aftermarket mirrors, grips and levers.
Outside of the aforementioned, he equipped it with the rack and windscreen for his cross country trip, rack will be either sold or kept for future use but has no business sitting on my bike at all times, and same goes for the windscreen

Mirrors look silly but have a surprisingly good angle, handle bars are getting the knife treatment since they are not to my liking one bit, and well, the sporty levers probably did it for me lol, took it for a rip around the Haight-Ashbury and was not disappointed nor bored, so I decided to just go for it.

I wouldn't say it necessarily pulls like a train but the bike can carry its own, doesn't feel sluggish and the torque is there to get you going.

pdedse_imp said:
First, congrats on your new bike! I had a '14 standard and loved the look, as it has a nice balance of black and chrome. I like its tank and Honda emblem, the grey silver streak outlining the tank, the black wheels. Wouldn't have minded a bit of silver on the engine cases, but all black there isn't bad.

RE:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
I think the whole RLET thing organically took a life of its own here. The underlying factor that probably gave the "movement" so much life was that these seemingly easy to install things were so darn difficult to actually do so for many of us here. All sorts of recipes and suggestions were thrown at those who wondered if there was some mysterious trick to get the little guys on. 99.5% of all the posts regarding RLETS are friendly, tongue-in-cheek perhaps...but trolling? IDK.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
Glad to hear this because I actually thought you were going to be disappointed based some of your initial posts here. For me, the '14 standard I had and the '17ex I currently own have always had more than enough get-up-and-go when I've wanted / needed.

I hope you enjoy the bike!
I think the whole RLET thing organically took a life of its own here. The underlying factor that probably gave the "movement" so much life was that these seemingly easy to install things were so darn difficult to actually do so for many of us here. All sorts of recipes and suggestions were thrown at those who wondered if there was some mysterious trick to get the little guys on. 99.5% of all the posts regarding RLETS are friendly, tongue-in-cheek perhaps...but trolling? IDK.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Mannn, I sure hope not everyone is too sensitive for trolling around here, isn't trolling half the fun of message boards anyways?
Each and every time I've come across the infamous "RLET" discussion, seems to be rather uncalled for and excessive considering the underlying topic at hand, I'd consider that an inside joke/trolling amongst members of this board. I had to come in with my trolling cap on and fire back after finding out all the infamous RLET hype was nothing but a lever cover. I can see how this simple yet useful mod can come in handy in parking situations, but I just don't see why it's talked about so much around here.

Anywho, went to see the bike- 1 owner 7k miles w/ extended warranty of sorts, extras included this fugly luggage rack, an eh windscreen(PO rode it cross country earlier this year) and my favorite of them all, shorty adjustable levers(Sorry but your beloved RLETs prob wouldnt work anyways:D)

Took it for a spin, and let's just say, I didnt find it as lacking as I expected, torquey, and responsive were my impressions, made the pictured stop during the rest ride, and well, the rest is now history :beerchug:
658212007a900c68b907146cb108d6d2.jpg

e7bbdfaa940d7747b64613fa9bca0e29.jpg

6be51a0f0b62a6ed3d6e36f4826a0850.jpg
Glad to hear this because I actually thought you were going to be disappointed based some of your initial posts here. For me, the '14 standard I had and the '17ex I currently own have always had more than enough get-up-and-go when I've wanted / needed.

I hope you enjoy the bike!
Thanks man! She truly is a beauty in black, definitely growing on me more and more, now I want an exhaust :s

Did you have Japanese Mags on your old '14 at one point?
 
Back
Top