CB1100 Questions from a potential new owner

E11even_Hunnit

Been there
Thread starter
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
 
Welcome aboard E11even_Hunnit.
 
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
Welcome E11even_Hunnit!

Point of clarification: I believe the two options for year '14 in the U.S. were Standard (black) and DLX (Deluxe) (red with dual exhaust). I'm assuming you mean the DLX.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
If "screamer that puts a grin on one's face" is high on the list, I'm thinking you will be disappointed in the Honda CB1100. If "nice, smooth accelerating ride that puts a grin on face" is acceptable, then you should be OK.
 
:hello: Howdy and welcome to the forum
 
Hello E11, and welcome to the Forum.

You should be able to find most of your answers by searching the Forum. However, I suspect the fine folks would be happy to share some experiences again.

My two cents: It is a confident performer. Not a screamer, but a great, well mannered friend.
 
Hi hunnit, there is an excellent search function on the top of the page if you get stuck, there are several different size tanks so it depends, cheers.

Ha, beat me to it GO.
 
Thread starter
pdedse_imp said:
E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
Welcome E11even_Hunnit!

Point of clarification: I believe the two options for year '14 in the U.S. were Standard (black) and DLX (Deluxe) (red with dual exhaust). I'm assuming you mean the DLX.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
If "screamer that puts a grin on one's face" is high on the list, I'm thinking you will be disappointed in the Honda CB1100. If "nice, smooth accelerating ride that puts a grin on face" is acceptable, then you should be OK.
Welcome E11even_Hunnit!

Point of clarification: I believe the two options for year '14 in the U.S. were Standard (black) and DLX (Deluxe) (red with dual exhaust). I'm assuming you mean the DLX.

E11even_Hunnit_imp said:
Holiday greetings all,

I recently came across a '14 ELX for sale and will be going to see it this weekend to determine if it's a worthy upgrade of my current bike, an 81' CB900F, with that said, I did have a few questions for you current owners..

My first impression: I love the looks of the bike, for the most part anyway. The bike carries that classic CB style and offers modern day technology to an extent. The downside for me, the powerplant upgrade support/options are lacking when compared to the old CB- I was planning a 985/1123 rebuild and modern 17" suspension setup to get the old F where I'd really like it to be, but my lack of spare time to wrench these days seem to be pushing that vision further and further away.

I love the character and raw power that the old F offers, and I'm not 100% sure the newer FI ELX is the screamer that puts a grin on my face every time, the bike looks the part, but does it play the part?

With the understanding that some of these areas are very subjective, I'll do my best to stick to factual questions:

Where is the bike lacking?
-Whats the common consensus on the overall powerband? Paper says the bikes down to ~89HP despite of the 1140CC engine(when compared to the 95HP/985CC 900F) But how is it really in motion?
-6th gear advantage but how well is the bike really geared with the factory ratios for city/hwy riding? Any common F/R sprocket swap upgrades?

Handling
-<5Yr old forks/cartridges are expected to perform and feel better than 40yr old stocks but how responsive is the stock suspension and what's the front tire feedback at higher speeds? Stabilizer/fork brace options? Any common front end/fork swap candidates? Are the OEM rear shocks any good?

Stopping power
What's the breaking feedback for STD owners and ABS owners? I personally wish the bike was a non-ABS version but it is what is is..
Call me weird, but I'm just not a fan of the ABS feel on my bikes. For context, my old '14 crossplane R1 stopped on a dime with non ABS when compared to same generation GSXR1k/Fireblade1kRR's(both equipped with ABS)

Misc./commonly asked questions
-Any worthy performance upgrades?
-Full range on a full tank?
-Handle bar diameter?
-Best tire offerings/setups on the stock 110/140 18"s?
-Common Rear-set options?
-Common issues to address/upgrade from the factory?
-Anything in particular to look out for when considering a '14 ELX?
-What would be considered "cheap" for a bike under 10k miles?

Any and all insightful input is welcome, thanks in advance folks :biker:
If "screamer that puts a grin on one's face" is high on the list, I'm thinking you will be disappointed in the Honda CB1100. If "nice, smooth accelerating ride that puts a grin on face" is acceptable, then you should be OK.
My mistake, I'm certain that I dont 100% know the differences between trims nor the 13/14+ differences

The bike in question is a black 6speed with ABS, so I'm thinking the non-base model?

Thanks to all who have taken the time to chime in, I appreciate all the feedback I can get before I see it in person :thumbsup:
 
E11even_hunnit, I'd be a little surprised if a black 2014 had ABS. As pdedse said, the standard 2014 came in black without ABS and with a 4 into 1; the DLX came in red with ABS and a 4 into 2. There is a sensor ring on the rear wheel that looks like ABS, but it is actually for the speedo. Only if there's a sensor ring on the front wheel does it have ABS.

Got any photos? If not, post some when you have a look at it.
 
Thread starter
Cormanus_imp said:
E11even_hunnit, I'd be a little surprised if a black 2014 had ABS. As pdedse said, the standard 2014 came in black without ABS and with a 4 into 1; the DLX came in red with ABS and a 4 into 2. There is a sensor ring on the rear wheel that looks like ABS, but it is actually for the speedo. Only if there's a sensor ring on the front wheel does it have ABS.

Got any photos? If not, post some when you have a look at it.
I'm going strictly by the little bit of info on the ad. Explicitly mentions ABS but the pictures seem to show a 4-1 stock exhaust...then again I know CA bikes tend to be rather odd specimens when ordered sometimes. I would be completely happy with the bike being the non-ABS kind.

In the meantime, can someone confirm the factory handle bar diameter on these? and if the stock cables would allow for clubman bars/clipons?

TIA
 
Bars are 7/8 inch

The bikes are 50 state bikes. No difference for California.
 
ABS: if there's a pic of the front wheel, look to see whether there's a sensor ring. If not, there's no ABS.

Bars: As popgun says. I've a recollection folk have had trouble with clip ons hitting the tank, but a patient search of the forum will give you answers. A bloke in Victoria, Australia has done a lovely café job, http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1974. Or try http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=9416 or some of the results oif this search http://cb1100forum.com/forum/search...ad8eb5b8fc&sortby=lastpost&order=desc
 
In Honda nomenclature, it's best to think of the CB1100 as a "CB1100K," not a "CB1100F" or "CBR1100RR." This is a smooth, sedate, easy-riding roadster, not a spirited sporty bike (though it can be ridden with gusto). Remember, these bikes are about 540 lbs. (standard) and 580 lbs. (DLX), so right off the bat you know they're built for cruising comfort, not strafing. The six-speed '14's spin about 3000 rpm at 65 mph and are speed-limited to 112 mph.
 
Thread starter
Very much appreciate the comments and discussion gents. Anything in particular I should look out for when looking at a '14?
 
E11, you're looking at the Standard, which is the "base" CB1100 model. Honda only offered two models for the American market in 2014: the Standard, and DLX (Deluxe). The Standard: black; 4-into-1 exhaust, with single-walled headers that quickly turn colors; no ABS; smaller fuel tank; different, thinner seat; solid black motor; much less bling. The DLX: red; ABS; 4-into-2 exhaust with dual-walled chrome headers that will stay shiny; larger fuel tank; traditional pleated seat; silver motor; a lot more chrome. The wet weight of the DLX is about thirty pounds heavier than the Standard.

Look up at the very top of your screen here. The second bike, the black one, is a 2014 Standard. The third bike, the darker red one, is a 2014 Deluxe.

For your purposes, you clearly want the lighter Standard.

As for performance upgrades, don't bother. The only meaningful engine upgrades involve a very expensive, time-consuming re-engineering of the motor from the inside out. Cams, timing, crank, etc. Also, you have to get the ECU reflashed to eliminate the 112 mph speed limiter. Otherwise, you will discover that you cannot hit redline in fifth and sixth. Not even close.

Your safest bets regarding performance upgrades will only involve small improvements, such as ditching the stock exhaust and airbox for aftermarket units, which will also necessitate a reflashing of the ECU for best results. Instead of 86-88 hp at the rear wheel, you will bump it up to, oh, 95 rwhp. Still massively underpowered for such a large motor pulling such a heavy bike. Similarly, the only worthwhile, cost-effective braking improvements involve ditching the stock rubber lines and OEM pads for HH pads and steel braided lines, which the bike absolutely does not need. I made those modifications to every bike I've ever owned, but not to my CB1100. The brakes are great as is, considering the bike's intended mission. It's not a track bike, or even a canyon ripper.

Suspension? Yes, the 2014's suspension (both the Standard and Deluxe share the same chassis, motor, brakes, and suspension) can stand some improvement. The 2017 model has upgraded suspension that is noticeably plusher than the 2014's suspenders. The thing is, that's just it; it's plusher, not sportier. It gives the bike a better ride quality. It doesn't make it firmer and less wallowy, which is what you'd want if you're really trying to go faster through the corners.

Bottom line, you're probably looking at the wrong bike. The CB1100 is not a good project bike for the guy who wants a retro ride that rips. There are plenty of better options, if that's what floats your boat. The CB1100 is the pinnacle for what it's designed to be: the best true, air-cooled retro standard on the market. That being said, its focus is on providing a relaxed, comfortable, all-day magic carpet ride. Listen to the motor. Revel in the telepathic yet rock-solid handling. Soak in the exquisite detailing. Take pride in the build quality and long-term reliability. Embrace, or at least accept, the constant questions and reminiscences you will receive from misty-eyed geezers at every gas or food stop. Bask in the warmth of the post-ride stare-fest, back in your garage, during which you won't be able to pull yourself away from the thing because it's just so freaking beautiful.

That's what the CB1100 is all about. It's not about CB900F performance; not even relatively speaking. If that's what you're after, allow me to direct you to your local Triumph and Kawasaki dealers, where you can take a gander at the liquid-cooled, lighter, faster, sportier, decidedly more modern, faux-retro Speed Twin and Z900RS.
 
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
 
LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
Yep, pretty thourough.

LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
My '14 Standard (remember, smaller tank than DLX) seemed to show 30 miles left usually around 120. So 180 might be slightly optimistic, but then again I never tried to find out. Most often my MPG was around 43-46, well below what others reported at 50-55.
 
pdedse_imp said:
LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
Yep, pretty thourough.

LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
My '14 Standard (remember, smaller tank than DLX) seemed to show 30 miles left usually around 120. So 180 might be slightly optimistic, but then again I never tried to find out. Most often my MPG was around 43-46, well below what others reported at 50-55.
Yep, pretty thourough.

LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
My '14 Standard (remember, smaller tank than DLX) seemed to show 30 miles left usually around 120. So 180 might be slightly optimistic, but then again I never tried to find out. Most often my MPG was around 43-46, well below what others reported at 50-55.
(+1) for pdedse, LR and Veal.

On the STD, keep-it-fun riding I routinely get 5.0L / 100 kms (or about 47 mpg U.S.). Old fart-like rides, I typically get about 50 mpg U.S. Spirited: About 43 mpg U.S.

Approximate maximum range for me: 150 miles.
 
I am right at 48 for geezerish riding with the occasional wanton rip. 2013 with 19 tooth front sprocket.
Keep in mind the 14 has a 6 speed, I think they run low to mid 50's.YMMV :)

Ben
 
Thread starter
VLJ_imp said:
E11, you're looking at the Standard, which is the "base" CB1100 model. Honda only offered two models for the American market in 2014: the Standard, and DLX (Deluxe). The Standard: black; 4-into-1 exhaust, with single-walled headers that quickly turn colors; no ABS; smaller fuel tank; different, thinner seat; solid black motor; much less bling. The DLX: red; ABS; 4-into-2 exhaust with dual-walled chrome headers that will stay shiny; larger fuel tank; traditional pleated seat; silver motor; a lot more chrome. The wet weight of the DLX is about thirty pounds heavier than the Standard.

Look up at the very top of your screen here. The second bike, the black one, is a 2014 Standard. The third bike, the darker red one, is a 2014 Deluxe.

For your purposes, you clearly want the lighter Standard.

As for performance upgrades, don't bother. The only meaningful engine upgrades involve a very expensive, time-consuming re-engineering of the motor from the inside out. Cams, timing, crank, etc. Also, you have to get the ECU reflashed to eliminate the 112 mph speed limiter. Otherwise, you will discover that you cannot hit redline in fifth and sixth. Not even close.

Your safest bets regarding performance upgrades will only involve small improvements, such as ditching the stock exhaust and airbox for aftermarket units, which will also necessitate a reflashing of the ECU for best results. Instead of 86-88 hp at the rear wheel, you will bump it up to, oh, 95 rwhp. Still massively underpowered for such a large motor pulling such a heavy bike. Similarly, the only worthwhile, cost-effective braking improvements involve ditching the stock rubber lines and OEM pads for HH pads and steel braided lines, which the bike absolutely does not need. I made those modifications to every bike I've ever owned, but not to my CB1100. The brakes are great as is, considering the bike's intended mission. It's not a track bike, or even a canyon ripper.

Suspension? Yes, the 2014's suspension (both the Standard and Deluxe share the same chassis, motor, brakes, and suspension) can stand some improvement. The 2017 model has upgraded suspension that is noticeably plusher than the 2014's suspenders. The thing is, that's just it; it's plusher, not sportier. It gives the bike a better ride quality. It doesn't make it firmer and less wallowy, which is what you'd want if you're really trying to go faster through the corners.

Bottom line, you're probably looking at the wrong bike. The CB1100 is not a good project bike for the guy who wants a retro ride that rips. There are plenty of better options, if that's what floats your boat. The CB1100 is the pinnacle for what it's designed to be: the best true, air-cooled retro standard on the market. That being said, its focus is on providing a relaxed, comfortable, all-day magic carpet ride. Listen to the motor. Revel in the telepathic yet rock-solid handling. Soak in the exquisite detailing. Take pride in the build quality and long-term reliability. Embrace, or at least accept, the constant questions and reminiscences you will receive from misty-eyed geezers at every gas or food stop. Bask in the warmth of the post-ride stare-fest, back in your garage, during which you won't be able to pull yourself away from the thing because it's just so freaking beautiful.

That's what the CB1100 is all about. It's not about CB900F performance; not even relatively speaking. If that's what you're after, allow me to direct you to your local Triumph and Kawasaki dealers, where you can take a gander at the liquid-cooled, lighter, faster, sportier, decidedly more modern, faux-retro Speed Twin and Z900RS.
VLJ, Thank you for the blunt and detailed response, definitely helped address questions/concerns I had in mind.

When it comes down to it, life's all about trade off's. If I had the ability to keep both bikes, I would in a heartbeat. If the U.S had gotten RS variants I probably would have owned one by now, but since that didn't happen, I'm stuck with (maybe)buying one, and doing my best to make it look as sporty as I can(assuming that I get enough pleasure from riding it) It will never be the classic jap supersport that I own, but I guess that's the price you pay for newer components and better technology. There is also a part of me that understands that the retro essence does come at the expense of constant tweaking and tinkering, and a more turn-key bike comes at the expense of more look-alike as opposed to the real deal.
I think someone explained it fairly well when calling this a "K" variant, seems like I will have to compromise, since the idea of getting my hands on a 5Four is not realistic

I actually owned a '14 Thruxton with Air injection delete. TOR's and a flash, the thing ran OK- just handled like cuss, but looking back, I now realize coming from an R1, that maybe my expectations were higher than they should've been to begin with. Speed triple 1050 I've sorta considered, just not 100% sold on the lines nor the Triumph heritage, ThruxR, If it wasn't so damn overpriced and common as it is. Z900RS...tempting, just never been nor think I'll ever be a tacky green kawi guy... the thing comes close to a modern day ZRX1200, which I think is probably the only Kawi I can bring myself to own outside of the H2R

I've read a bit on the ECU flash and it seems like the best way to go should I pull the trigger, as for the RLETS, allow me to end the trolling once and for all, its about the stupidest ownership mod I've come across, ever. But to each their own, I certainly hope that doesn't offend anyone

Few additional Q's- What's a decent full exhaust upgrade besides the Yoshi? Never been a fan of Slip-on's but given the lack of options currently, seems like I might have to consider that route, also, does this bike come equipped with a center stand? Is the 5 gear '13 model considered better over the 6Speed?

TIA
LongRanger_imp said:
VLJ, perfect words of experience, as always.

To answer two of the OP's questions:

Fuel range:

DLX: 220-240 miles when ridden at sane speeds
Std: I'm guessing ~180 miles under similar conditions

Current market prices (private sale, < 10,000 miles, my best guess):

DLX: $6000-$7000
Std: $4000-$5500
This is a rather surprising price range..

Any stories/knowledge of a decent shape STD being snagged for $3,xxx?
 
Back
Top