CB1100 parts discontinuation has started

Most of the parts that break down, other than the usual maintenance parts, are mostly containing rubber which can't be stored long anyway. As the model age, I am sure there will be some creative owner who will soon find some other compatible parts from other bike model.
 
zirconxi_imp said:
Most of the parts that break down, other than the usual maintenance parts, are mostly containing rubber which can't be stored long anyway. As the model age, I am sure there will be some creative owner who will soon find some other compatible parts from other bike model.
Yes, rubber parts, especially those exposed to high temperatures have a limited lifespan. Again, drawing from my ‘81 GPz experience, the rubber intake boots will eventually become too hardened to seal and leak vacuum. Sometimes, these boots are highly specific to a certain year and model bike. I once had to park my GPz for two years because I could not find a replacement for the hardened, leaking intake boots. Then one day a dozen new old stock boots appeared on eBay from Germany, and I was back on the road.
 
Houtman_imp said:
There are probably products available to make rubber parts last longer when stored in a dark place.
One would think the darkness would assist rubber from aging (i.e. no UV light). However, other chemical vapors are still in play.
 
Paris_imp said:
zirconxi_imp said:
Most of the parts that break down, other than the usual maintenance parts, are mostly containing rubber which can't be stored long anyway. As the model age, I am sure there will be some creative owner who will soon find some other compatible parts from other bike model.
Yes, rubber parts, especially those exposed to high temperatures have a limited lifespan. Again, drawing from my ‘81 GPz experience, the rubber intake boots will eventually become too hardened to seal and leak vacuum. Sometimes, these boots are highly specific to a certain year and model bike. I once had to park my GPz for two years because I could not find a replacement for the hardened, leaking intake boots. Then one day a dozen new old stock boots appeared on eBay from Germany, and I was back on the road.
Yes, rubber parts, especially those exposed to high temperatures have a limited lifespan. Again, drawing from my ‘81 GPz experience, the rubber intake boots will eventually become too hardened to seal and leak vacuum. Sometimes, these boots are highly specific to a certain year and model bike. I once had to park my GPz for two years because I could not find a replacement for the hardened, leaking intake boots. Then one day a dozen new old stock boots appeared on eBay from Germany, and I was back on the road.
Same experience for me, Paris. I had to exchange all the rubber parts for my 1965 Yamaha YDS-3, but fortunately they're still all (most!) available.

One part that I do desperately need is the concertina rubber boot over the rear brake cable end... it's unobtainium, probably because it was the entire, assembled cable that is the spare - the boot was not sold separately.

Anybody know of a company willing to make a small number of these boots?
 
Back
Top