CB1100 not fast enough ???

I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
 
Removing the feelers was one of my first mods, not because I was scraping them ( lol not going to happen with me riding) but I just thought they looked ..um..unattractive on such a beautiful bike. Same reason I won't put a luggage rack on my bike even though it would be very handy. Fickle creatures aren't we? Lol
 
The ferret_imp said:
Removing the feelers was one of my first mods, not because I was scraping them ( lol not going to happen with me riding) but I just thought they looked ..um..unattractive on such a beautiful bike. Same reason I won't put a luggage rack on my bike even though it would be very handy. Fickle creatures aren't we? Lol
You could do a Pterodactyl and put the rack on only for trips.

I've just had mine off and I must say I think the bike looks a whole lot better without it. But it is handy.
 
With the way people around this area like to mess with peoples things (I.E. either steel or put "something" in your helmet) I find that I prefer to keep my box on at all times to store my helmet in when I stop somewhere. I have just heard way to many horror stories that I just don't want to take the chance.
 
Motogeezer1949_imp said:
IMO, the flashed CB is perfect. 130+ and its rock steady. Lots of people want more, that's why there are turbo'd 'Busa's!
To each his or her own, be free!
second that. ECU flash really made me feel like now it's full on, even though it didn't radically transform the bike, it is smoother and "boldier" Exhaust slip ons helped too.
 
Henrik_imp said:
I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
 
Django_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
And with removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
The footpeg will still scrape and it will still fold up. Back in the day, before curb feelers when I rode more aggressively I would take the edge of my boot and fold up the peg to give me another inch of clearance lol, after that it's probably centerstand and then exhaust pipes and then your body.
 
The ferret_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
And with removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
The footpeg will still scrape and it will still fold up. Back in the day, before curb feelers when I rode more aggressively I would take the edge of my boot and fold up the peg to give me another inch of clearance lol, after that it's probably centerstand and then exhaust pipes and then your body.
I guess, I wouldn't like that. :D
 
If the RLETs didn't make your CB fast enough, try filling in the little hole at the end of each one with a dab of silicone to make them more aerodynamic... that should do it!! You can even use a different color silicone for a little contrast.:D
 
Django_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
As The Ferret said, the footpegs are next and they fold back. However, it's not like you go down really fast. I have had more solid things like center stands touch down on other bikes which does not feel nice but then you ease off. The thing is, the feelers are pretty long, and there is a fair bit of margin.
 
BestStandard_imp said:
If the RLETs didn't make your CB fast enough, try filling in the little hole at the end of each one with a dab of silicone to make them more aerodynamic... that should do it!! You can even use a different color silicone for a little contrast.:D
Mmmm. You may want to ponder this thread. It is not clear precisely what might happen if you plugged the little hole. The consequences may not be quite as you expect.

However, if you'd care to experiment, many of us would be interested in the result.

:beerchug:
 
Henrik_imp said:
Django_imp said:
Henrik_imp said:
I don't like to modify bikes. I always believe that the guys who designed them know a lot more about it than I do (actually, I am sure of that!), and I think the CB is perfect as it is and what it was designed to do. The more that I ride it, and it is currently the only bike I have, there are moments that I would like for something sportier with more power and torque as well as a more competent chassis. However, at those moments, I just ease off a bit on the pace and again enjoy the CB for what it is. It has gotten me thinking of maybe getting a second bike though for those times that I want to go a bit harder. I think for now the only thing I will do is remove the feelers on the footpegs as the scraping is beginning to annoy me a bit.

I am still dreaming of a Ducati SportsClassic 1000S. It is not a powerful bike, but other than being one of the most beautiful bikes ever built it is one that I can push hard on and get the sport feel without going at insane speeds.
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
And wtith removed feelers, what does scrape next. Is there still some security margin while leaning?
As The Ferret said, the footpegs are next and they fold back. However, it's not like you go down really fast. I have had more solid things like center stands touch down on other bikes which does not feel nice but then you ease off. The thing is, the feelers are pretty long, and there is a fair bit of margin.
Well, the feelers at my pegs are a few mm shorter already. I guess, I remove them, before the bolt head is gone completely. :angel:
 
The ferret_imp said:
Removing the feelers was one of my first mods, not because I was scraping them ( lol not going to happen with me riding) but I just thought they looked ..um..unattractive on such a beautiful bike. Same reason I won't put a luggage rack on my bike even though it would be very handy. Fickle creatures aren't we? Lol
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
 
Ah, but now you have one when the time comes for utility to trump beauty. They don't stay in stock for long, especially for short runs like ours. Some day you may need one and there won't be one to be had.
 
ChipBeck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Removing the feelers was one of my first mods, not because I was scraping them ( lol not going to happen with me riding) but I just thought they looked ..um..unattractive on such a beautiful bike. Same reason I won't put a luggage rack on my bike even though it would be very handy. Fickle creatures aren't we? Lol
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
Yes, I'm with you guys.

I have the 2014 DLX luggage rack still sitting in it's shipping box, unopened.

I *knew* I needed a rack before I even got the bike.

But the look of that almost '70s taillight housing and chromed fender are just too delicious to cover up...


---------------
Scotty !
We need more bungees up here or we're not going to make it !

I'm giving you all I can captain.. maybe you can manage just one more but that back seat is already filled beyond capacity, sir !
The whole kit n caboodle just might go flyin' off onto the freeway, and then we're toast !
--------------
 
furious_blue_imp said:
ChipBeck_imp said:
The ferret_imp said:
Removing the feelers was one of my first mods, not because I was scraping them ( lol not going to happen with me riding) but I just thought they looked ..um..unattractive on such a beautiful bike. Same reason I won't put a luggage rack on my bike even though it would be very handy. Fickle creatures aren't we? Lol
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
Yes, I'm with you guys.

I have the 2014 DLX luggage rack still sitting in it's shipping box, unopened.

I *knew* I needed a rack before I even got the bike.

But the look of that almost '70s taillight housing and chromed fender are just too delicious to cover up...


---------------
Scotty !
We need more bungees up here or we're not going to make it !

I'm giving you all I can captain.. maybe you can manage just one more but that back seat is already filled beyond capacity, sir !
The whole kit n caboodle just might go flyin' off onto the freeway, and then we're toast !
--------------
Mick,

The way I ride and use my street bikes that nice Honda rear rack would be really handy. So I bought one and put it on. As far as luggage racks go it is as nice as any BUT.....it only stayed on for about 30 minutes. Beauty trumps utility in both motorcycles and women. Fickle indeed!

Chip
Yes, I'm with you guys.

I have the 2014 DLX luggage rack still sitting in it's shipping box, unopened.

I *knew* I needed a rack before I even got the bike.

But the look of that almost '70s taillight housing and chromed fender are just too delicious to cover up...


---------------
Scotty !
We need more bungees up here or we're not going to make it !

I'm giving you all I can captain.. maybe you can manage just one more but that back seat is already filled beyond capacity, sir !
The whole kit n caboodle just might go flyin' off onto the freeway, and then we're toast !
--------------
i'm in the other camp.
i think a rack finishes off the look.
i also knew i needed a rack before i got the bike.
i use the rack daily , slip on the saddle bags as needed.

to bring this back on to topic

if you want to make your bike faster you probably don't want the extra weight of the rack.
 
Rboe_imp said:
Ah, but now you have one when the time comes for utility to trump beauty. They don't stay in stock for long, especially for short runs like ours. Some day you may need one and there won't be one to be had.
Good point. I remember when Honda finally ran out of their OEM rack/backrest for the '91-'03 Nighhawk 750s. When they were still available, Honda was selling them for about $160. Afterward, scratched up used ones started selling on Ebay for over $250.
 
Rebel73_imp said:
One of the biggest complaints I hear about the CB1100 is that it's not fast enough, should've had more horsepower, etc, etc.

Now, the best numbers I could dig up are as follows:

0-60 = 3.3s
1/4 mi = 12.00s (saw 11.79 somewhere else but don't remember source)

http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

Now, I know it's all relative, but in the automotive world that's pretty darn fast! Maybe when compared to a modern superbike it's slow, but just how fast does it need to be?

We can easily leave most cars and cruisers in the dust at stoplights. I can keep up with my buddy's Suzuki M109R rated at 127 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque. Granted, that thing is a behemoth at about 750lb with a full tank of gas, but still.

Just wondering when is enough enough?
 
Back
Top