CB1100 not fast enough ???

Rebel73_imp

Been there
Thread starter
One of the biggest complaints I hear about the CB1100 is that it's not fast enough, should've had more horsepower, etc, etc.

Now, the best numbers I could dig up are as follows:

0-60 = 3.3s
1/4 mi = 12.00s (saw 11.79 somewhere else but don't remember source)

http://www.zeroto60times.com/body-style/motorcycle/

Now, I know it's all relative, but in the automotive world that's pretty darn fast! Maybe when compared to a modern superbike it's slow, but just how fast does it need to be?

We can easily leave most cars and cruisers in the dust at stoplights. I can keep up with my buddy's Suzuki M109R rated at 127 hp and 118 lb-ft of torque. Granted, that thing is a behemoth at about 750lb with a full tank of gas, but still.

Just wondering when is enough enough?
 
If you want fast there are plenty of bikes to choose from that excel at it. The CB is plenty.
 
Thread starter
Well, that's my point, Rboe. For most purposes, the CB is more than enough, but people still complain that it's not enough.
 
I think they may need a second bike. One to be a hooligan on, like the family guy that has a Cobra in the garage for Sunday rides. :)
 
It seems to me, regardless of what bike the discussion takes place over (whether in print or just between guys at the coffee shop on a Sunday morning) the 100HP number eventually rears it's head in the discussion if the bike produces LESS than that apparent modern day benchmark. Riders of sport and naked bikes in particular appear fixated on the number. HP and top speed were never a consideration when I was shopping for the two new bikes I've bought in the past 10 months. I was looking for a number of things in the aggregate...comfort....fun factor (more than just raw HP and top end speed)....retro styling to a degree (not the angular transformer plastic bodywork that's so popular currently) ...reliability.....aftermarket support...value for the money. The 2013 Standard I purchased scores high marks in my estimation in all those areas. Bottom line: If I would have wanted 100+HP I would have BOUGHT a bike that produces them.

As an aside and again for a perspective (as so many of these performance or lack thereof discussions require), the Nissan GTR (considered by many car enthusiasts as one of the Worlds current great supercars) costs $101,770. For that you get a 3.8-liter, twin-turbo V-6 engine that is good for 545 horsepower and 463 lb-ft of torque and runs 0-60-mph in 2.9 seconds. Considering that with just a tuned exhaust, and potential airbox/filter mods gets your CB close to a 3.0 flat 0-60 time (1/10th of a second off a Worlds best supercars max effort) I'd say that's a heck of a performance bargain.
 
I don't think anyone bought the CB for its top speed or horsepower, I bought it for its looks and a its 70's styling. I do run mine to its max performance often and its just as much fun as my XX just in a different way.
 
Wow! Wait a minute. This is the fastest bike I ever had! I always have to remind myself to slow down on this thing. I've always avoided crouch rockets for that reason, and promised myself never to get one, as I wouldn't trust myself to be wise on it at all time. The CB1100 is my first big 4, and that's way plenty for me. I sure don't need more.
 
The CB1100 is the coolest looking bike today by far to me ... As far as speed ... It's plenty fast enough ... The CB has more class than any bike built today ...If I cared about speed ... I'd go get that new H2R Kawi :biker:
 
Fast enough to get you killed......but I would still like another 20 HP, even if I don't usually shift above 4K RPM's as it is..
 
I use every bit of the horsepower my bike makes ..up to 4000 rpms. if I needed faster I'd take it to 4500.
 
The CB1100 has basically the same stats as my 600CC FZ6. Both are around 3.4sec 0-60 and 11.5-12sec in the 1/4 mile. I always found my FZ6 to be more than sufficient in terms of power, so it's basically like I transferred my FZ6 motor into a shiny, new retro frame. :)
Do I care that I have almost twice the displacement now as my old bike yet the same amount of power? Not really because stats are not why I bought my CB.
 
It's HOW you ride it.

In second gear it'll do 65 or so at abut 5700 rpm. Still well below the redline but only one shift.

Now if you run through the gears...not so fast unless you shift clutchless.

No. It's not a superbike but it's plenty fast.
 
jerrycon_imp said:
Don't know whether I've been up to 4000 rpm yet. Sounds kind of scary. Guess I'll stay at 3500 for now...
If it's new, that's for the best.

Once it's broke in, however...you get it above 5000 rpms, it does smooth out somewhat.
 
JustPassinThru' pid='85580' dateline='1429844825 said:
In second gear it'll do 65 or so at abut 5700 rpm. Still well below the redline but only one shift.

75 at 7500. :rolleyes: (closed course, professional rider...)

I ride around the city where I live in 1st and second most of the time. I love the Yosh full exhaust. Late Monday afternoon, I got stuffed by a Grom on downhill sweepers in the woods. It wasn't a race, and I was only riding no more than 10 over, but still...I laughed and laughed all the way home! Probably harder than she (or he) did. Ride what ya brung.
 
Compared to the retro bikes I was trying to replace, it's plenty!

My CB750 had 56 hp....the Kawasaki 900 I never owned but drooled over was 86 hp I think.

I test rode a CB1000R, 124 HP before deciding on the CB1100....but couldn't figure out when I'd ever need that extra 1/2 second going from 0-60.

I also didn't like it because I felt like I was sitting on top of the gas tank with the handle bars between my legs.

Plus you had to hang on for dear life, hope you didn't lose traction or that the front end didn't come up at a weird angle ;-)

All I know is I can pull out from a dead stop and be up to traffic speed in a blink of an eye....fast enough!
 
CIP57_imp said:
I don't think anyone bought the CB for its top speed or horsepower, I bought it for its looks and a its 70's styling. I do run mine to its max performance often and its just as much fun as my XX just in a different way.
PERFECTLY stated. :thumbsup:
 
This thread/forum makes me laugh as I've realized I am not a typical owner. I can't count the times I've hit the speed limiter. I like to goof off and get the front wheel off the ground. I cruise at 85 with no screen.

Personally, I'd love more power. I'm just hoping the low state of tune means less maintenance issues. If this engine doesn't give me problems in the long run, I'm cool with the lower power output.
 
The horsepower of a bike is one thing. Another is, how the bike produces and communicates its strength. By no means the Honda is an air pump and needs
higher revs, to start its work in a good manner, as so many ccm smaller bikes do.
That is, what counts in my opinion. And the engine will enjoy a long life.

For the one, who is irritated by the speed limiter, it's not a thing one cannot overcome....

Wisedrum
 
IMO, the flashed CB is perfect. 130+ and its rock steady. Lots of people want more, that's why there are turbo'd 'Busa's!
To each his or her own, be free!
 
Back
Top