CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a trip to Mom's for lunch and son-chores today. I rode down on the Enfield and swapped it in her garage, bringing home CB1100 that's been down there for quite a while. On the way home, along with stopping to pick up some birthday gifts for Mrs. G's upcoming Spirit Journey Formation Anniversary, I figured I'd get some pictures for the photo challenge. "Sports Place", eh?

Riding up from north San Diego County along the coast, I figured this would be a good example. San Onofre State Beach is a pretty good surfing spot. I'd need to pay money to actually enter and park within view of dudes surfing, so you get a picture of the sign from the access road.
SOSB.webp

Heading further north, I thought this was a good pick as well. The Newport Acquatic Center, locally known as The NAC, is where most OC locals come to launch their kayaks and sup boards to paddle around the Newport Back Bay. The more adventurous, including Mrs. and me, row our way out to the main Newport Harbor. It's great exercise, and I love checking out the big yachts as well as making a pass around John Wayne's place..
NAC1.webp
NAC2.webp

Not too far away is the Newport Beach Public Golf Course. I don't belong to any of the swanky country clubs in the area and rarely swing a club. The driving range here was pretty busy, but if anyone is as bad a golfer as I am, I'm not so sure parking a beautifully restored Triumph TR-6 so close is such a good idea...
NBGC.webp

I managed to get a much better view of the Honda Center than I did from Super Bird last week.
HC.webp

And this last one is a blast from the past. Just a few blocks east of the Honda Center is a big movie theater and a bunch of mediocre chain restaurants. In my youth, it was the site of the Stadium Drive-In Theater, named for Angels Stadium nearby. The Orange County Badminton Club is an immense pink building as you can see, located just north of what was the drive-in theater, now the parking lot for a seafood restaurant.

Underneath the ORANGE COUNTY BADMINTON CLUB signage, years ago there was a second sign that read "COME PAY 'N PLAY TODAY!" Both signs lit up very brightly at night. When we'd go to the drive-in theater as young hooligans, it was fun to bring pellet guns and try to shoot out the "P" in the word PLAY.
PNL.webp
 
... but if anyone is as bad a golfer as I am, I'm not so sure parking a beautifully restored Triumph TR-6 so close is such a good idea...
View attachment 4375

I quit playing golf the day I nearly managed to hit a guy at the driving range...he was standing parallel to me. In other words, in Gone's photo above, I was the guy far left, standing above his cb1100, took a swing and about hit the person on the far right, the one below the sun.
 
I quit playing golf the day I nearly managed to hit a guy at the driving range...he was standing parallel to me. In other words, in Gone's photo above, I was the guy far left, standing above his cb1100, took a swing and about hit the person on the far right, the one below the sun.

Yeah, that's about what got me to stop as well. A bad slice hit the guy in the cart that was running around with the ball pickup sweeper, they said I did it intentionally, I said there was no way I'd be able to hit a guy on a moving cart if I tried, yada yada.
 
I was so bad at golf it didnt pay me to get a cart, because it was closer just walking to the ball after I hit it, than walking back to the cart path, get the cart, drive down next to where the ball landed, park the cart and walk back over to the ball from the cart path.
 
This thread is 276 pages long; we've moved to new forum software; and @rdprdp01 and I need to have a discussion about how to move the Monthly Photo Challenge to the Media section of the forum. It's great for images, but not, I think, so good for discussion, and may require more administrator intervention. I'm not keen on the last of those possibilities.

Anyway, until that happens, I'm proposing a new thread each month for the photo challenge. I'll start the first one, for October 2026, but it doesn't have to be me. If anyone feels the urge in the future, please make sure the title is Monthly Photo Challenge Month Year.

@suhawk305 gets to set the October challenge, and he can do it here.

This thread is now closed.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top