CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
suhawk305 said:
Cormanus said:
Congratulations suhawk. Did you enjoy the ride?

Even though I rode only 20 miles, I enjoyed every minute of the ride. I don’t think I am ready to go on long rides yet.

 I get that. After I had my knees replaced it took me a while to work up to distance riding again.

Great that you're up and at it again.
 
The heatwave continues here in central Europe, and even though I did take the CB1100 out yesterday to ride in to Geneva, it was suffocatingly hot, and I really was not ready to seek a photo opportunity. So, I figured something in the garage would do.

Many years ago, I would race go-karts in the local championships, and each year I was given a new number plate for my kart. All those old number plates are on the wall in my garage, and as it turns out, one of them was 6! So, here it is on the CB:

Incidentally, the calendar in the background could sort of serve as a support as well, given that six in Swedish is sex... Yeah, too much of a long shot. The calendar itself is interesting, though, as it was given to me by Phil Read a number of years back. He was attending a local classic motorcycle race, and I just started talking to him. It led to him and his girlfriend coming over for a BBQ dinner at my place in the evening, which was magical, listening to his stories from back in the day. As he was leaving, he popped in his van and grabbed this Isle of Man TT calendar, which I think fits perfectly on an old-school garage...

44IhJBQ.jpeg
 
Love it! I am being quite lenient here, as the instructions were “six of something”. I’m just digging the participation.

Bleh on the heat wave! Mrs. G and I were talking with our friends in the Cognac region of France who are sweltering.
 
Nice job, Cormanus!

See how easy this is, guys? You still have a few days left!
 
I was just settling in for another frustrating evening of troubleshooting a boat problem when I realized it was the last day of June.  So I put down the multimeter and suited up for a short ride to a place some people call "town."  I stopped at Ridge Market, a store that used to sell groceries and Chinese takeout.  Now they sell booze and gas.  The prices for both are very high, but at least the selection is poor.

After finding six of something that I could afford without taking out a loan, I slid the goods under the bungee net and put my helmet on.  I shifted the helmet around on my head to make it comfortable, but couldn't.  So I took it off and put it back on, and still it was uncomfortable.  I decided I must have let the helmet salesman talk me into a helmet that was just too tight, as they are trained to do.

As I rode through the parking lot toward the exit, I noticed that I didn't have my gloves on.  What the?  Then it dawned on me.  I stopped, took off my helmet, and removed the gloves which I had stowed in the helmet before entering the store.  As I rode home, I tried to decide what the dumbest thing was that I had done today.  Was it putting my helmet on with my gloves inside?  Was it paying good-beer money for an average beer at a store that I dislike?  Or was it ... owning a boat.

[attachment=1543]
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260630_231924112.webp
    PXL_20260630_231924112.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 128
BOOM! Last day of the month and we finally got it!
Six of something... nobody but Lunchbag thought about a six-pack.

Gotta ask... was going to a store you don't like after a frustrating evening of troubleshooting a boat problem just an extension of the self-torture process?
I mean, I get it... I'm a pleasure-delayer. If I'm in the process of doing something like diagnosing a hard problem, I don't like to reward myself until the job is done.

Did you at least buy a beer you like?
 
First, my apologies to Tev. I was just looking back to see who gets to pick July's challenge and discovered my entry was pretty much a straight copy of Tev's. I promise I had completely forgotten and hope you can forgive me for my appalling memory.

Secondly, the Cormanus approach to reward. Always put down what tedious task you're about to start and reward yourself for being motivated enough to consider taking it on. That way, you put the tedious task off and, when you're about to start again, you can repeat the process.

To return to the question of dumbest things, owning a boat has surely got a head start on any of the others you mention. I'm not taking questions on how I know this.

Gone, I considered grabbing 6 empty beer cans or wine bottles from the place we store them on their way off the property so I could photograph them with the CB, but I wasn't sure it was an image I wanted to convey.

Finally, Tev, your choice for July's subject.
 
Cormanus said:
First, my apologies to Tev. I was just looking back to see who gets to pick July's challenge and discovered my entry was pretty much a straight copy of Tev's. I promise I had completely forgotten and hope you can forgive me for my appalling memory.

It is of no consequence at all Cormanus !  :)



Finally, Tev, your choice for July's subject.

This month's subject - a picture of your bike preferably IN or as close to a cemetery as you can get.

e.g. [attachment=1544]
 

Attachments

  • CemeteryCB.webp
    CemeteryCB.webp
    115.7 KB · Views: 116
Thread starter
My favorite graveside photo of my CB1100. This was from 9.04.2020 at Arlington National Cemetery. If I recall correctly, my uncle's headstone is the third row in in the column that lines up with my Ram X-Mount on my handle bar. It was his his 100th birthday.

I'll try to get a photo that qualifies up here this weekend.

cvNCz85.jpg
 
I'd have to ride to the National Cemetary in Santa Fe to get my Dad's gravesite photo.

Ya know, that wouldn't be a bad road trip...
 
Gone in 60 said:
Gotta ask... was going to a store you don't like after a frustrating evening of troubleshooting a boat problem just an extension of the self-torture process?

Did you at least buy a beer you like?

Don't get the wrong impression, I don't seek out torture.  I only went to Ridge Market because it was close to home, and I wanted to complete your challenge before the end of the month, while losing as little time as possible for troubleshooting...still hoping to get the boat running before our house fills up with family members this weekend.

Yuengling?  It was once my choice for value.  I used to get a 24-pack of bottles at the Navy Exchange for $13.99.  I supposed it tasted better back then because of the price.  Now it seems like a very average value-lager in a world of more interesting beer choices.


Cormanus said:
the Cormanus approach to reward. Always put down what tedious task you're about to start and reward yourself for being motivated enough to consider taking it on. That way, you put the tedious task off and, when you're about to start again, you can repeat the process.

Genius!
 
I mentioned to Mrs. Gone that I stopped by the cemetary on Blood Bike #5 yesterday when I was out test riding to make sure I had completely repaired its electronic gremlins once and for all. 
Some of her departed relatives reside there now, and she asked me who I had visited, I skipped Uncle Gus. There was a bit of scolding, so I went back today on the CB1100 to pay my respects.

[attachment=1573]

[attachment=1574]

Here's sort of a bonus, and I'm sure I've posted pictures of this place in a previous challenge. After the cemetary, I had to pick up some company uniform jackets from the local tailor, who sews our logo patches on the sleeves. Along the way, I stopped by The Richland and took a few pics. 

This is the former Shannon Brothers Mortuary, which a few years ago was refurbished to become "The Richland", a swanky boutique hotel for the rich visiting parents of the nearby students of Chapman College. I've always thought it just a bit morose that a long-standing mortuary is now a hotel. We've had cocktails there with friends, but would you want to stay in a place where you attended your neighbor's funeral service just a few years earlier? Their brown wooden "Outdoor leisure and event area" to the left of the hotel used to be the carport where they parked two Cadillac hearses. Now, you can enjoy a game of cornhole in the same spot!

[attachment=1572]

[attachment=1571]
 

Attachments

  • RP.webp
    RP.webp
    73.7 KB · Views: 144
  • R1.webp
    R1.webp
    73 KB · Views: 144
  • C2 (1).webp
    C2 (1).webp
    117.3 KB · Views: 144
  • C2 (2).webp
    C2 (2).webp
    104.3 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top