Although I tend to favor privately owned, funky, coffee houses in historic buildings, I must admit that in California my favorite Coffee House is the Peets in downtown Pleasanton. Although the building is newer than the 100+-year-old buildings that surround it, the architects managed to blend a new building amongst the rustic. It fits.
The building and lot are very spacious by California standards. Peets has outside seating that can be used regardless of the season. But perhaps more importantly, the planners recognized that pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, and auto enthusiast would all frequent the city corner as a launch point for a trip downtown. I think they must have mixed a little magic and common decency into the mortor.
But what makes this place truly special, as is most often the case, are the people. All the tribes manage to get along and show mutual respect. Various cyclist clubs meet there following a ride into the hills, families stop by on the way to the Farmer's Market, motorcyclist own the North side of the building where the motorcycle parking is both marked and respected, and people gladly make accommodations so that everyone can be comfortable and enjoy the moment. The Baristas are genuine and truly want everyone to feel welcomed.
I am boringly predictable. I arrive at the same time on a Saturday, order a double espresso in a ceramic espresso cup, and take my seat outside. Nice, friendly people who have never ridden a motorcycle notice the CB1100EX and want to learn more, the cyclists ask how my rehab is going, and the motorcyclists talk shop.
Today, an owner of a Triumph Tripple RS shared his Goodilock's story about how he selected his motorcyle: The Speed Tripple 1200 was too heavy, the Trident 600 too wimpy, but the Triump 765RS was just right. It was a nice morning. Wish you where there. Enjoy your weekend. David