CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saturday was a great opportunity to get my photos for this month's challenge. I had early morning museum duty, and for some reason, I was wide awake at six AM, so I had enough time to grab some good photos on the way.

I started out by riding just a few miles down the road to the center downtown area of my city, Orange. There's a multi-story parking garage that I thought might offer some great views from the roof. But, walls around the rooftop level were too high to get a panoramic photo that also had my bike in the shot. But, here are some pictures, from one of the streets leading to the town center, and shot with the central park and fountain in the background.
[attachment=587]
[attachment=588]

Heading to L.A. I had time to get some downtown shots before I had to clock in at the museum. Here are shots from the 6th Street Bridge, which is just a few years old. It immediately became the go-to place to film promotional films for nearly every new motorcycle launch on the market, from Harley to Royal Enfield. Today, it's covered in graffiti, and what was initially called "The love letter to Los Angeles" jokingly became termed "L.A.'s ATM machine", after the copper wiring for all of the bridge's decorative and road lighting was repeatedly stolen. Now, the bridge remains dark at night, as the city determined that repeatedly replacing the wiring was futile. Still, the bridge frames the central downtown skyscrapers several blocks to the west nicely.
[attachment=589]

This view from 4th Street in Little Tokyo is a good place to get a view of Downtown in the distance as well.
[attachment=590]

And, Grand Avenue, which features the Disney Music Hall, the Broad Museum, and several other buildings you've seen in plenty of car and motorcycle commercials, is a very unique street. Remember the chase scene in the original Terminator, when Arnold was in the stolen cop car chasing the heroes in the stolen Cadillac? That was shot on Lower Grand, below where this photo was taken.
[attachment=591]


Getting to the museum, the garage roof offers some nice views to the West, showing the tall black office building across the street, along with the taller buildings of Beverly Hills and Century City in the distance.
[attachment=592]
[attachment=593]
 

Attachments

  • O1.webp
    O1.webp
    61.6 KB · Views: 71
  • O2.webp
    O2.webp
    80.2 KB · Views: 71
  • LA1.webp
    LA1.webp
    56.6 KB · Views: 70
  • LA2.webp
    LA2.webp
    70.4 KB · Views: 70
  • LA3.webp
    LA3.webp
    53.5 KB · Views: 71
  • P1.webp
    P1.webp
    39 KB · Views: 70
  • P2.webp
    P2.webp
    38.5 KB · Views: 71
Ha compare my town to Gone's lol

yrmf6lT.jpg
 
yrmf6lT.jpg


Just noticed looking at this pic... after going on 32 years of living here lol... the significance of the sign on the Bank. The blue on the left signifying the river, the green on the right signifying the hills/woods and the curvy line in the middle which is how most of our roads are.

The green wooded hills on the left side of the river in the pic are northern Kentucky. BTW during the Civil War, the river was the dividing line for the North and the South.
 
A view of Brisbane where I live.



Thought I'd include this one as it's a while since I saw someone emerge from a time window, and I've never photographed it before ...

 
the Ferret said:
yrmf6lT.jpg


Just noticed looking at this pic... after going on 32 years of living here lol... the significance of the sign on the Bank. The blue on the left signifying the river, the green on the right signifying the hills/woods and the curvy line in the middle which is how most of our roads are.

The green wooded hills on the left side of the river in the pic are northern Kentucky. BTW during the Civil War, the river was the dividing line for the North and the South.

Nice...looks like a charming place.


Ok...what's a time window? And very scenic skyline.
 
Maybe I have the term wrong? In Douglas Adams' novel, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency there's a sofa stuck half way up a flight of stairs. No-one can get it up and no-one can get it down, and nobody can figure out how on earth it got stuck there. Turns out, as the chaps were carrying the sofa up the stairs they were having trouble turning it on the landing. One of them opened a door on the landing and they partly maneuvered it using that. Turns out the door was an opening in time and space and vanished immediately after they'd used it and before they could complete the turn. Hence the sofa was stuck for ever. Well, until the police sawed it into pieces in order to get up the stairs.

It also turns out the 'moving sofa problem' is a thing in maths. See here.
 
Cormanus said:
Maybe I have the term wrong? In Douglas Adams' novel, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency there's a sofa stuck half way up a flight of stairs. No-one can get it up and no-one can get it down, and nobody can figure out how on earth it got stuck there. Turns out, as the chaps were carrying the sofa up the stairs they were having trouble turning it on the landing. One of them opened a door on the landing and they partly maneuvered it using that. Turns out the door was an opening in time and space and vanished immediately after they'd used it and before they could complete the turn. Hence the sofa was stuck for ever. Well, until the police sawed it into pieces in order to get up the stairs.

It also turns out the 'moving sofa problem' is a thing in maths. See here.

They didn't know the "pivot" technique  :hilarious:
 
I suspect that my post only qualifies for an honorable mention because it is a "Town Scape" and not a "City Scape."

Where I work, there are eight towns which share county services across multiple counties. None of the towns are particularly large, but they all have a distinct character, tone, and tenor.

Livermore, CA, was founded as a railroad town in 1869 by William Mendenhall and named for Robert Livermore, an early rancher in the area. The valley developed an agricultural economy based on cattle and ranching, which evolved into a renowned wine region in the late 19th century, known for pioneer winemakers like Wente and Concannon. After its incorporation in 1876, Livermore became a prosperous town with a thriving wine industry. In the mid-20th century, the city transformed into a technological hub with the establishment of the Lawrence and Sandia National Laboratories (LLNL), which significantly boosted its population and modern identity while retaining its western heritage and expanding wine industry.

I provide support for the 911 Dispatch Centers and Fire Departments in Alameda and Costa County. This week was a challenge, and I decided when I went off duty to visit downtown Livermore. The part of the town I like the most is the Lizzie Oliver Fountain. Working folk start arriving at dusk. It is a place where mothers and grandmotehrs dance with their toddlers and babies in the fountain. The men take it all in and just live in the moment. On Friday and Saturday nights, street performers serenade the crowd. People bring snacks for everyone to eat.

When I arrived, a man in late forties / early fifties walked over to me and introduced himself. He wanted to learn more about my CB1100EX and how I managed to keep it "looking better than it did when it first appeared on the show room floor." His wife came over and told him "Honey, stop talking to the Nice Motorcycle Dude. He has a very pretty motorcycle, but one in our garage is enough!" He waved goodbye as he rejoined his family, but he told me we would continue our conversation at a later date.

I believe that these moments are made possible by the magic of a CB1100 and the kindness of those who ride and admire them. I hope you enjoy the pictures. It was a lovely moment.

QDDE2xH.jpeg


bd0R6EQ.jpeg


FmLkoFN.jpeg


yIrX1yD.jpeg
 
rdprdp01 said:
... His wife came over and told him "Honey, stop talking to the Nice Motorcycle Dude. He has a very pretty motorcycle, but one in our garage is enough!" 

Oh my...that would create issues for me.  Although my wife refuses to get on a motorcycle, she knows what riding different bikes means to me, and she knows that I try very hard to keep the expenses reasonable.

David, your bike makes those environs look all the more classy!  Very nice.
 
pdedse said:
rdprdp01 said:
... His wife came over and told him "Honey, stop talking to the Nice Motorcycle Dude. He has a very pretty motorcycle, but one in our garage is enough!" 

Oh my...that would create issues for me.  Although my wife refuses to get on a motorcycle, she knows what riding different bikes means to me, and she knows that I try very hard to keep the expenses reasonable.

David, your bike makes those environs look all the more classy!  Very nice.

You are too kind. I believe Mitsuyoshi Kohama deserves the credit. I will accept it on his behalf. Thank you.
 
What a wonderful ride! We have a good friend in Livermore and I’ve never been there. Thanks for showing us around.

Interesting about your interaction with the guy who asked you about your Honda. I frequently walk up to people and ask them about their bikes. When Mrs. G is with me it will spark a conversation, about what I liked about that particular bike, would I want one, etc.
 
suhawk, you were first last month. You get to set the challenge for September.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top