CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frulk_imp said:
Spechg….your picture brings back good memories. On our last trip to Ireland we spent 2-3 nights at an AirB&B about 1.5 miles west of the cemetery on Dublin Road. While the wife and kids went to see Dublin on one of those days I decided to walk to Howth Harbor on foot along the strand by the water. Walked right past the front of the cemetery in your picture. Beautiful, partly cloudy walk to the pier. Ate at one restaurant and had a pint and watched the trawlers unload their catch and employees from the restaurants walking over and selecting the seafood they wanted for their kitchens. Decided I would try the other restaurant and walked 50 feet and ordered only seafood appetizers and another pint. Nobody rushed me to move along. Spent about an hour there and then decided to move to a third restaurant out on the pier and had one more seafood appetizer, desert, coffee and possibly another pint. Was a great way to spend a few hours.

On the way back I called an Uber. Gentleman pulled up in a spotless black 7 series BMW. Said he was normally employed to bring the bankers/executives that lived in Howth into Dublin for work and decided to respond to my call on a lark. Made small talk and I mentioned I just ate some of the best seafood of my live on that pier. He responded with something like …if you can’t find good seafood in Howth, you can’t find it anywhere in Ireland.
Frulk,what a small world we live in! Glad you enjoyed your day out in Howth.Let me know when you're next coming over and I'll take you to some of the weirder parts of the city!
 
I went on a ride through the neighborhood last night to check on the progress of some of the more elaborate Halloween decorations. I wasn't able to get my CB into the pictures, as I'd have to park on the sidewalks, or take the photos from too far away to get any good detailed pictures.

My first stop was this house. The owner always changes his Halloween theme each year and goes over-the-top. This year, the theme is 1960s Beach Party. He has several skeletons enjoying a day at the beach to mark the end of summer, including a mermaid skeleton. A large altar is being consumed by an octopus, while a TV shows the movie Beach Blanket Bingo. A bubble machine pumps smoke-filled bubbles out into the street.

There is a ton of detail, and it takes a while to take it all in. The house itself is a vine-covered Victorian, and is creepy enough without a Halloween display. I always enjoy talking with the owner about the details he puts into the displays. Coincidentally, we both worked at Disney around the same time period in the 80s, and we stood on the sidewalk swapping Disney stories for so long that it got quite late, and most of the other displays in the area had been turned off for the night.



However, I swung by a favorite street on the way home to see what was still lit up, and the coolest one was still going. This is a complete Star Wars panoply done in skeltons, including a garrison of Storm Troopers, Luke and Dearth Vader locked in a light saber battle, and Princess Leia, R2D2 and C3PO doing their thing. Han and Chewie are sitting at their cantina table. The original Star Wars audio record is playing in the background.

 
Cool stuff. Some people really go all out with their decorating.
 
Spechg, your beautiful picture made me think of my Ross ancestors who left Ireland in the 1600s for Delaware. I wish I'd known of them when I was young enough to go to Ireland and see if there is a tombstone or two still standing.
 
From today's ride

f0d2768fc9dbbcaaad2f6b32a07467ae.jpg
 
Wow, Alp, that is one heck of a gourd collection!
Very artistic presentation, too. Nice to see something in the Halloween spirit that can photograph well in daylight.
 
I told myself I was gonna go for non-photo outing today and just enjoy a sublime 67 degree day...blustery, warm fall day with leaves falling by the bucket loads--is there anything more fun than racing through a batch of falling leaves in the autum? I'm sure there many more fun things, but it is magical.

I was exploring some side roads off a hiway south of Estacada, kinda way back in there where the houses are sparse, the roads are narrow, and there's really no good reason to be back in these parts unless you live out here.

So I was kind of surprised the lengths to which these folks went to create some Halloween roadside fun.

The Headless Horseman
79dd4f379455f26d25e3dc35bee199a7.jpg


Werewolf on steroids
8d48584ccdd3a7596e824bc14566841b.jpg


There's a hidden beast in the dark cave right behind the CB
dc2e42d220d722ad7261313c386825d2.jpg


There's a NO TRESSPASSING (or you will die) sign that I don't think was part of the decorations. The owners were outside and I threw out my friendliest "I ride a Honda" wave. ... They waved back.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top