CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cormanus_imp said:
$2.90 per litre in AUD. That’s high, even for us.
The ferret_imp said:
Take a pic with your bike by the sign Cormanus. It's the theme behind the thread lol.
Oh dear. This was one of those posts where I assumed everyone would know what was in my mind. AU$2.90 per litre for fuel was a reference to what fuel costs in Ireland according to Tev. The actual price in Australia is AU$1.93 / litre according to the internet.

Which brings me to the problem of participating in the photo competition. I’m 15,000 kilometers or a reasonable year’s riding away from my bike as I write. So there’ll be no picture. Sorry.
 
Here we have the Tale of Two Stations. Each is located on the intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Gisler Street in Costa Mesa. This intersection is immediately south of the 405 Freeway, and the stations are diagonally across from each other.

This intersection is on one of my daily walking routes, especially if I’m low on Tajin Chamoy hot sauce, as it’s only locally available a few miles further south along Harbor at the Mercado Mexican market.

I’ve always marveled at the huge difference in prices at each of these gas stations. Let’s compare apples to apples. In California it’s common for stations to display two prices, one for cash or that brand’s credit card, and a higher price for any other credit card. Of course this is a ploy for one to get that brand’s credit card. Nobody besides day laborers paid under the table carry enough cash to fill a gas tank.

If a station only displays one price schedule, the hope is that it applies to cash or credit, but that’s not a guarantee. So, let’s take regular grade (87 octane here). The Arco is offering it for $4.50 a gallon for credit card. Chevron, if the only price shown is for credit, wants $4.90.

Chevron is regarded as a more premium brand than Arco, but still, that’s a big difference, especially on the same intersection. Why the difference?

Location. The Arco is on the exit side of the street from the 405, and is next to an In-N-Out Burger. In-N-Out is always busy, and almost always has a long line at the drive-through. So there is a constant cloud of traffic around the Arco station with burger buyers fighting for the same driveways. And, if one was low on gas headed down the 405 and wanted to quickly exit the freeway to fill up, the traffic pattern doesn’t offer a convenient route back onto the 405.

The Chevron on the other hand, is more ideally located. Exiting the driveway from the station puts a driver directly onto the path to either the South or North on-ramps to the 405.

That’s quite a premium to pay for convenience.
 
"Nobody besides day laborers paid under the table carry enough cash to fill a gas tank."

Man, I laughed so hard at this. What a great line.

I expected Cali prices to be higher than that.
 
The ferret_imp said:
"Nobody besides day laborers paid under the table carry enough cash to fill a gas tank."

Man, I laughed so hard at this. What a great line.

I expected Cali prices to be higher than that.
High compared to other states for sure, but not as tragic as many might think. There’s a Shell station just south of the Petersen Museum at the convergence of Fairfax, Olympic and San Vicente boulevards - a confusing glob of traffic affectionately called “The Butthole” by some locals.

No matter what prevailing prices are, this station has historically displayed ridiculous pricing, often between seven and eight dollars per gallon. When national news reports on California gas prices, pictures of this station’s price board have commonly been shown. I wouldn’t doubt that you may have seen this station in the news, supposedly representing our normal gas prices.
 
I expected Cali prices to be higher than that.
[/QUOTE]

I paid $5.45/gallon in 2013…Big Sur. It was either that or push a 900 lb Kaw Voyager
d23634cd5e4839c1735472a5c77b8dba.png


Took over $25 for a fill up. Glad it wasn’t completely empty.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
mtneers_imp said:
I expected Cali prices to be higher than that.

I paid $5.45/gallon in 2013…Big Sur. It was either that or push a 900 lb Kaw Voyager
d23634cd5e4839c1735472a5c77b8dba.png


Took over $25 for a fill up. Glad it wasn’t completely empty.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/QUOTE]
Yeah, well... if you need gas in Big Sur, you need gas. Or push it one way to Carmel, or the other way to, what, Cambria? San Simeon maybe?

Sorta like that first gas station outside of Death Valley. Amazing how bad your gas mileage gets going up that looong hill on the way out. You'll pay what they want.
 
Good looking bike, Bosti. Is it an EX with an aftermarket pipe?
 
Hey our first Photo Challenge participant from Slovenia I do believe. Cool!
 
Wow, Bosti, that’s cool! I was hoping to see some interesting submissions from around the world. That’s a neat sign and a beautiful bike!

Did you have that Givi trunk painted to match your bike?
 
Thank you for your replies.

I did tried to post monthly challenges before but I always missed the month.

The exhaust is completely stock, but I did change the rear shocks for Wilbers.

The givi case was painted to match the bike. I must say I am happy with the result.

I hope I will post more monthly challenges soon.

Have a wonderfull weekend.
 
Cormanus_imp said:
Good looking bike, Bosti. Is it an EX with an aftermarket pipe?
Another of the CB Variants. Would like to see a pic of that bike from the right (pipe) side.


He even has Rlets ..how cool is that? :thumbsup:
 
I didn’t know Honda sent a standard to Europe. And with wire wheels.
 
we got here only in 2013 "your" Standard (with ABS) ......from 2014 the EX with Spokeweehls....

i guess, its only a little bit a unhappy view angle and you can just not anymore see the Pipe on the left side ?
 
I had contemplated having one of my Givi trunks painted to match my CB, but have wondered what it might look like. Now I know!

Took a sort of backwards route to work at the museum so I could check out an early morning car gathering. That had me topping off at this gas station on the corner of Olympic and Robertson in Beverly Hills so I wouldn’t have to worry about refueling for the ride home. It’s very unique with the geometric metal canopy. This station typically makes most lists of the most unique commercial architecture in the L.A. area. It was originally an Arco station, but has recently become a Speedway. That’s a brand that I’m used to seeing in the Midwest and east coast, but is becoming more common in California lately. Can’t get a good shot of my bike close to the price board due to its position right on the busy intersection, but it’s in the background and regular is a very reasonable $4.50 for the area right now.

Before turning left from Olympic onto Fairfax to the museum, i did a quick stop at the Shell station I mentioned previously just to note the current price. This station for whatever reason very famously charges the highest prices in the area, and is usually the station shown when news reports on the “tragically high” prices we pay for gas. I can only think that they like the publicity, or maybe they cash in on unwitting tourists. There are cheaper options nearby.

In any case, they’ve apparently toned down their prices a bit, with regular at $5.50, a dollar more that the local average, but not sensational.
 
alprider_imp said:
we got here only in 2013 "your" Standard (with ABS) ......from 2014 the EX with Spokeweehls....

i guess, its only a little bit a unhappy view angle and you can just not anymore see the Pipe on the left side ?
Looks like a 2014 bike to me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top