CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nachodaddy_imp said:
Thanks, Gone. Blimps have always fascinated me and the size of those hangars is mind-blowing.
Earlier, I mentioned the Goodyear Blimp "airport", which is in Carson, about 25 or so miles from the Tustin hangars. It's visible from the 405 Freeway, and for a while, they had what looked like a retractable, portable soft-sided hangar of sorts for the blimp, perhaps to do repairs or protect it from the weather. That, however, went away a few years ago.

A few months ago, making the routine Costco run, I noticed the blimp circling low over one of the Tustin hangars. Naturally, I went over to see what was going on. Looks like they are using the Tustin hangar when the Goodyear Blimp needs covered storage for repairs. It was fascinating to watch. A giant truck with a big, vertical gantry attached itself to the front of the blimp. Then, the truck drove slowly as the blimp swung around with a bunch of guys holding it in position with ropes, and pushed it into the hangar.

It was quite an attraction for the neighborhood as you can imagine. And the blimp looked tiny compared to the size of the open hangar!
 
Before we leave the topic for the June Photo Challenge (impressively blitzed by Gone in 60), here's why I chose that topic:

In 2005 my wife and I were on holidays in California passing through the small town of Santa Paula en route to the Mojave desert. They appeared to be having some sort of festival so we decided to stop for some lunch. When we walked up to the main street we could see an impressive parade with floats and cheerleaders was about to get underway. I worked my way through the crowd of spectators to quickly snap this photo in front of a float. As I was taking the photo someone tapped me on the shoulder and said "what are you doing buddy?". I explained I was just taking a quick photo before the parade started. He replied "this aint't no parade buddy, it's a film set!" Oops. Turns out it was for a film called Mr Woodstock starring Billy Bob Thornton which was released in 2007. Not his finest work!

 
Mr. Woodcock

Mr. Woodcock is a 2007 American comedy film directed by Craig Gillespie, and starring Seann William Scott, Billy Bob Thornton, Susan Sarandon, Amy Poehler, and Ethan Suplee. The film was released on September 14, 2007 to mostly negative reviews.
 
Spechg, that is a great story. Sorry your first encounter with an active film set wasn't more pleasant. That part of California is very beautiful. Hope the rest of your visit was more fun.
 
That is a cool story. I pass through Santa Paula on the way home from Ojai every now and then. Has a neat old town vibe that would be perfect for a parade scene.

Steve McQueen retired to Santa Paula near the small airport there. I’ve tried to find his place but the closest I’ve gotten is the mailbox at the bottom of the road leading to it.
 
Not my turn…

And it would be hard. I’m riding my CB to a parade tomorrow however.
 
Gone as far as I can tell, you were the one and only member to complete the challenge, so I suppose it would be your turn to pick the July subject.
 
ok I've put a call into the head photo contest guru, but he is on the links right now and says he will check in on us in a few hours for a decision.
 
I think it's your honour, Gone, as I don't believe you can set the topic then submit the first entry. My photo was just to get the ball rolling and hopefully generate a bit of enthusiasm. I think you won June hands down!

I've just checked Emptysea's rules and rule 6 says the same person can't choose consecutive month's topics.
 
Ahh. The old Rule #6 Paradigm.

Ok, if it is to be me, I have an interesting 4th of July planned, and it's giving me some inspiration.

My friend lives in a 1920s bungalow-style home, and purchased a 1928 Model A Ford Phaeton to go with it to have a period-correct car parked in the driveway. He commited the car to the local 4th of July parade to carry a town dignitary, but got called away on family business. I'm going to take the car in the parade, as he can't think of anyone else who might be able to drive a contraption nearly 100 years old.

Now that the weather is nice (at least for those of us in the Northern Hemisphere who aren't getting drenched or are on fire), people are bringing out their cool vintage cars to enjoy. How about a photo of your CB with the oldest car you can find?
 
That would indeed be an interesting challenge
 
Thread starter
Looks like y’all figured it out.

I think that the July challenge as proposed is great, but I would include the following:

- vintage car or truck must be at least 25 years old
- vintage car or truck cannot be owned by the submitter.

It’s Gone’s decision to include these qualifiers so he should respond with his approval or disapproval.
 
Granted that the car or truck cannot be owned by the submitter.

I think the age of the car will be commensurate with what's avaiable to anyone given their location, but if we leave it as "oldest car you can find", we might get an interesting spectrum. I mean, I live where stuff doesn't rust, but someone in the midwest...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top