CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today’s 90 mile ride included a stop at the Pines Resort in the Catskills. Like many of these large Catskills resorts, the Pines fell by the wayside with the construction of Interstate Highways and better opportunities for air travel from the New York Metropolitan Area.
More information about the Pines:
The Pines

af503c7ab0603bc6a846612229bd5f82.jpg
 
suhawk305_imp said:
Today’s 90 mile ride included a stop at the Pines Resort in the Catskills. Like many of these large Catskills resorts, the Pines fell by the wayside with the construction of Interstate Highways and better opportunities for air travel from the New York Metropolitan Area.
More information about the Pines:
The Pines

af503c7ab0603bc6a846612229bd5f82.jpg
Unfortunately until the price of land here appreciates significantly the cost of demolishing these old building and and replacing it with anything new just doesn't make any financial sense. You get the feeling it is going to be like that for a long time.
 
Wow, such sadness and abandonment this month. I thought that this challenge would be easy. There are vast blocks of empty commercial space around my office, but it just happened last year as a result of the pandemic, so the ravages of time and the rabble haven't visually taken their toll yet. I'll have to venture into more woeful territory.
 
Gone in 60_imp said:
Wow, such sadness and abandonment this month. I thought that this challenge would be easy. There are vast blocks of empty commercial space around my office, but it just happened last year as a result of the pandemic, so the ravages of time and the rabble haven't visually taken their toll yet. I'll have to venture into more woeful territory.
Time for, ... bourbon.
 
I'm cheating here, but it was something I couldn't pass up.
I was walking back to the office with my newly refinished seat. Standing between my office and BJ's Trim Shop is the Ana Mesa Inn, a place that has definitely seen better days.

So, since I didn't have my bike handy, here's the seat. Which is part of the bike. Right?

When we moved into our office twenty years ago, this place was a respectable hotel, frequented by long-term visitors to the many businesses and factories in the area. Over the years, however, it has lost its luster, and the clientele now reflects the overall blight that has blanketed the neighborhood. I haven't asked, but along with with the low weekly rates, I'm sure they also offer rooms by... ahem... the hour.
 
While I was hoping to strike out and find something old and desolate in the target-rich environs of Downtown L.A., work projects and family commitments will keep my riding from work to home for the rest of the month. So, here's something right next to my office.

What has seen better days? The print industry. Now, follow along with me here...

The printing plant for the Orange County Edition of the Los Angeles Times was across the street from my office complex. For years, the rail line in the first picture carried trains to the plant, unloading huge rolls of paper and drums of ink. Many was the morning that I'd be late to work while the stopped train blocked the street leading to my office.

With the closure of the plant eight or nine years ago or so, the huge plant was abandoned. The rail line was decommissioned and the guards and lights removed. This portion of the rail line, protected by fences on both sides, became a tent village. The village would swell in population until enough nefarious activity in the area prompted the city to come through and push everyone out. In this picture, the presence of general trash and debris shows that the village has been pushed out recently.

About two years ago, a project began to transform the abandoned printing plant into "The Press", a vast, free-form office complex, which is shown in the second photo. During the construction project, the rail line was cut out of the street as if it never existed. Perhaps as a nod to the building's past, a portion of the word "Los Angeles", in a 1970s style font, is still visible on the West-facing side of the project.

With much of the commercial space around here becoming vacant during the pandemic, I'm curious to see how successful this new office complex will be.
 
Usually, if it's made of metal, outside, and unguarded around here, it will be stolen for the recycling value. But I think train tracks might be too big to move.
 
As soon as this month's topic was announced, I knew I'd need to make the 90 mile roundtrip ride to Decatur, TX for these pics. This is the Waggoner Mansion, otherwise called "El Castille". It was built in 1883 for $50,000 and was the headquarters of the original Waggoner Ranch operation, before being traded in 1906 for a larger ranch to the northwest. That 2nd ranch went on to become the largest ranch under one fence in the US.

Everything about this place today is a mystery. Nobody seems to know who owns it and it looks both semi-maintained yet completely abandoned. Naturally, some say it's haunted. One thing is for sure, it has an overabundance of signs saying "keep out" or "private", which around these parts we take seriously given the options available for enforcing them.

8b9a92b6096b4091fb72aae551e47057.jpg

12d5ca2dbf3d31f84edbcae25c866d1c.jpg


http://www.wisehistory.com/waggoner_mansion.html
 
Cool. 50 grand had to be a ton of money in 1883
 
Interesting story TxBikerGuy.

Also these days, if there is electricity then it would be wise to assume there is at least a minimum of camera sensors on the property. They'll find you. You don't want that. :s
 
The ferret_imp said:
Cool. 50 grand had to be a ton of money in 1883
$13.7 million in today’s cash.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top