CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Frulk. I work in an environment where, if the flag is displayed incorrectly, I'd hear about it.
 
Are we doing tanks?


a79876424b75b8f3b535be71843bb2d9.jpg


f5f579f80f37b88a51e0b67ec021b25a.jpg
 
Yep. I wanted to take some by the little park where there’s no fence around all the APCs and other tracked vehicles, but there was an MP parked there for the shade and I didn’t feel like answering questions if they decided to be talkative.
 
Sneaking one in under the wire.
VAcommuter and I met up for breakfast in Fredericksburg, VA this morning and I probably passed 100 military-related sites and signposts on the ride down and back. But I am terrible at remembering to stop until I'm past and I hate doing U-turns, so in lieu of those, here is...

Mike the Marine! :excited:


Now that I think about it, the land his home stands on (where this was taken) quite likely has Civil War history spread out all over it. It might be fun to take a metal detector around the place.
tj_gee_imp said:
Just so long as they are military tanks :P
 


This is the Grand Hotel in Helsingborg, Sweden, right in the medieval town center. The hotel was built in the 1920's and the 5th floor - especially room 585 - has been haunted ever since. This is not just a tourist tale, made up for publicity, but very real. It's actually a bit of a headache for the hotel as the national air carrier SAS, which uses the hotel for crew rest, has had so many complaints from their crew members that they have asked not to be booked on the 5th floor altogether.

The reception has seen several guests turn up in the middle of the night, having felt cold drafts, seen moving curtains, heard scratching sounds and being prodded in bed. A few have even felt they've been pushed out of the bed, onto the floor. The cleaning staff have felt sudden chills and sensed being watched. In 2009 the hotel restored the 5th floor extensively, admitting that it was partly in an attempt to get rid of the problem. It did not help. A few years ago a newspaper reporter stayed the night, with the intention to write a light-hearted article, but were scared for real by scratching sounds and feeling watched. The reporter was highly uncomfortable and never wrote the article.

The haunting is believed to be the ghost of a mistress, traced to one of the very first weeks of the hotel's operation in the 1920's. The story is that a man and a woman checked in after lunch, in room 585. The same evening another woman turns up, presents herself as the wife, asks for the room number and takes the elevator to the 5th floor. The next morning the man and the second woman - the wife - checks out and disappears. The first woman was never seen to leave the hotel. The haunting started soon after. The belief is that the man and the wife somehow got rid of the assumed mistress, maybe in the hotel somewhere, and that she is the source of the still ongoing haunting.
 
Olof_imp said:
This is the Grand Hotel in Helsingborg, Sweden, right in the medieval town center. The hotel was built in the 1920's and the 5th floor - especially room 585 - has been haunted ever since. This is not just a tourist tale, made up for publicity, but very real. It's actually a bit of a headache for the hotel as the national air carrier SAS, which uses the hotel for crew rest, has had so many complaints from their crew members that they have asked not to be booked on the 5th floor altogether.

The reception has seen several guests turn up in the middle of the night, having felt cold drafts, seen moving curtains, heard scratching sounds and being prodded in bed. A few have even felt they've been pushed out of the bed, onto the floor. The cleaning staff have felt sudden chills and sensed being watched. In 2009 the hotel restored the 5th floor extensively, admitting that it was partly in an attempt to get rid of the problem. It did not help. A few years ago a newspaper reporter stayed the night, with the intention to write a light-hearted article, but were scared for real by scratching sounds and feeling watched. The reporter was highly uncomfortable and never wrote the article.

The haunting is believed to be the ghost of a mistress, traced to one of the very first weeks of the hotel's operation in the 1920's. The story is that a man and a woman checked in after lunch, in room 585. The same evening another woman turns up, presents herself as the wife, asks for the room number and takes the elevator to the 5th floor. The next morning the man and the second woman - the wife - checks out and disappears. The first woman was never seen to leave the hotel. The haunting started soon after. The belief is that the man and the wife somehow got rid of the assumed mistress, maybe in the hotel somewhere, and that she is the source of the still ongoing haunting.
Nice spooky photo, Olof, and exactly the kind of interesting story I was hoping for. And it's not even Halloween yet!
 
here is a Two-fer from today

6bbe21387986c7ccaf218aae800f9d0e.jpg


#1 Williamsburg High School, Williamsburg Ohio

8bce797310d8f5fe44b4bce3a1942e79.jpg



#2 Ulysses S.Grants Birthplace, Point Pleasant Ohio

b70a26469afba3cfd072abbeeb3eed35.jpg
 
spechg Offline
1st Service Completed
Posts: 71
Joined: Dec 2014
RE: CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
We still have a few days for July's "CB1100s and the Military" topic, but as I will be out of town on the 31st and 1st, I'll mention now that spechg has the honor for August.

Thanks EmptySea,
After careful consideration...... the topic for August will be your CB1100 in front of any building which is reputed to be haunted! I look forward to seeing the photos and hearing the stories.

Simon (spechg)
 
GoldOxide_imp said:
Thanks for that share RTH.

Is the fence there to prevent vandalism to the memorial site?
Unfortunately, I could not find out why the fence is there - but I suppose to prevent danger to visitors because of protruding slabs or loose stones. If there is political vandalism against military monuments in Berlin, it is mainly against monuments of German generals (by left-wing activists), not against those of Allies.

Best regards!
 
RTH_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Thanks for that share RTH.

Is the fence there to prevent vandalism to the memorial site?
Unfortunately, I could not find out why the fence is there - but I suppose to prevent danger to visitors because of protruding slabs or loose stones. If there is political vandalism against military monuments in Berlin, it is mainly against monuments of German generals (by left-wing activists), not against those of Allies.

Best regards!
Unfortunately, I could not find out why the fence is there - but I suppose to prevent danger to visitors because of protruding slabs or loose stones. If there is political vandalism against military monuments in Berlin, it is mainly against monuments of German generals (by left-wing activists), not against those of Allies.

Best regards! :thumbsup:
 
This isn't my official submission for this month's challenge. I have a particular place in mind, and I'm office-bound for the next two weeks before I hit the road for work again, so hopefully I can find the time to get there. But, I had this pic in my files from a ride I took a while back, and when I Googled "Haunted locations in Orange County", this boat was on the list.

This is John Wayne's yacht, the Wild Goose. It was a WW2 mine sweeper which was later converted to a luxury yacht. John Wayne's compound was in Newport Beach, and he entertained friends on it. It's now available for party rentals, and my wife's company hosted their Christmas party on it a few years ago. While we slowly made laps around Newport Harbor, a host on the boat took tour groups around, showing us some of the touches that Wayne had added, like artwork, and a poker table where he played with other actors and friends.

According to the lore, noises can be heard on the Wild Goose when nobody is aboard, lending to the conjecture that Wayne's spirit is still there.
 
Took a quick detour on the way to work this morning, becuase I really wanted to shoot a picture of my bike with this place, and it will be in the 90s on the ride home.

This is Angelo’s & Vinci’s, a well-known Italian restaurant in Fullerton, CA. It’s been one of my favorites for many years. The food is great, and the atmosphere is very whimsical and theatrical. The owner had told me that it was a dance hall many decades ago. It has a supposedly haunted dungeon (an underground passageway with spooky mannequins) that guests can walk through, along with narrow, hidden passageways leading to private rooms.

Years ago, I had started seeing a girl in the local area, and as Angelo’s & Vinci’s was one of my tried-and-true early date locations, we went there for dinner. Everything was going well, but during dinner, she put her fork down several times, and went into what appeared to be a catatonic state.

After she did this a couple of times, I asked her if she was ok. She said “There are many spirits in this room… I should probably let you know that I can communicate with the dead. There’s a little girl who can’t find her parents.”

Ok… sorta funky, but not a deal breaker in my book… yet. This went on a few more times before we finished dinner. I had parked my truck next to the adjoining Fox Theater, a classic movie house which, at the time was long closed and was perpetually seeking donations to renovate.

As we got to my truck, she said that the spirits were getting stronger. Rather than getting in the truck, she dropped the tailgate, sat on the back, and apparently had several conversations with the spirits. I was a little bored by now, so I decided to walk across the street and get a cup of coffee. When I got back, she was wrapping up her visitations, and I took her home.

I don’t recall asking her out again, but this restaurant became my litmus test for future dates. Thankfully, when I took the future Mrs. Gone here early on in our courtship, she didn’t mention anyone trying to reach out to her from the beyond, and it's become one of our favorite places.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top