CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter
Very nice, Frulk. All my "distant vistas" were obscured by rain today. Tomorrow looks more promising.
 
Lovely photograph, Frulk. More please. Any time.

Meanwhile, back at the keyboard, MTC is clattering away on Distant Vista ...

Quote:
The man on the red Honda was cruising gently along thirty-seventh avenue. The motor purred smoothly and he was in that mildly euphoric state he believed unique to riders of the CB1100. Hints of the faint aroma of the cigar he'd smoked over an excellent cup of coffee wafted though his helmet. His thoughts turned to the pre-lunch cocktail he'd concoct when he reached home. Life was good, except ... except for a mild loneliness when he remembered there would be no-one with whom to share the cocktail.

Ahead a flash of sunlight caught his eye. He realised it came from the muffler of a new motorcycle sitting on the forecourt of the local dealer. Someone was standing beside it admiring its blue and white paintwork. Rolling closer, he realised it was a woman. The riding gear she was wearing suggested this was her new ride. Too close to stop without making an exhibition of himself, he indicated to turn right at the next intersection. A rapid circuit of the block brought him back to thirty-seventh so he could pull into the dealer's alongside the woman and her new bike. As he flipped up his visor, she caught his eye and smiled. He didn't know she'd watched his manoeuvre with amusement.
 
I've got a couple of photos that may qualify - just need a "volunteer" to post them for me. They're of my CB up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, taken on Sat, 1 June.
 
Thread starter
Frulk_imp said:
I just realized that I'll be able to put up some pics from Django's ride that will count for this months contest.
That's wonderful. Looking forward to seeing them. Just to be sure, your photo above also counts for this month's contest, right?

-----
A-man, hopefully Feret or Cormanus can help you get those posted. Can't wait to see them.
 
The A-man_imp said:
I've got a couple of photos that may qualify - just need a "volunteer" to post them for me. They're of my CB up on the Blue Ridge Parkway, taken on Sat, 1 June.
Amos , I cannot post pictures either and my wife emails them to Cormanus whom is kind enough to post them , not easy being "media savvy " challenged .
 
A-man, PM me if you need more help.
 
I was riding along Hwy 89 in Northern AZ today when I remembered this month's challenge. Hey, that's a distant vista!

60a63bc17d1ec66e2c412cde6b7f022e.jpg


I'll be visiting Bryce Canyon Nat'l Park tomorrow, so I should get something interesting for this thread.
 
Now that's a distance Vista. Love Bryce Canyon, can't wait for the pics of that.
 
Thread starter
Great shot, Flyn!

So this is mostly for Cormanus who seems to be our wordsmith in residence, but anyone can chime in. "Distant Vista" seems redundant at first, but maybe it is not. "Vista" means, by modern definition a broad, sweeping view usually from a high vantage point like a mountain. That view is implicitly "distant", right? However, I contend that a "Distant Vista" might refer to a broad, sweeping view that includes a view in the distance of another vantage point from which, presumably, another broad, sweeping view can be seen. So, for example, Flynrider's picture includes a distant vista because of the mesa in the distance, but if I posted a picture of my bike with Lake Michigan and nothing but the horizon in the background, I would be showing a vista but not a DISTANT vista. By the way, our new coffee at the office has more caffeine than our old brand; probably should have stopped at one cup.
 
I was going to ask, 'how do you drink coffee in Chicago, MTC,' but I realised in the nick of time that the answer would be something like, 'with my mouth' or 'from a mug' or some such. The question is really, 'how do you make coffee in Chicago, MTC? Percolator, Espresso, Filter, other?'

The trouble with definition games with an international audience is the variants of modern English. In this case, happily, both UK and US dictionaries agree that a vista is "a distant view through or along an avenue or opening" (Merriam-Webster); "A long, narrow view as between rows of trees or buildings, especially one closed by a building or other structure" (Oxford). Both also give it a meaning around mental events, "an extensive mental view (as over a stretch of time or a series of events)" (Merriam-Webster); "A mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events" (Oxford).

Oxford also offers the following broad definition, "A pleasing view".

The specific definitions make me think "Distant Vista" does contain a redundancy. On the broad, Oxford, definition, Flyn's picture is a vista; using the specific Merriam-Webster, Oxford definitions, it isn't a vista at all; rather, a panorama or a landscape or even a view.

Dunno, really. Vista works for me.
 
As it turns out, it's pretty difficult to get a "Vista" pic at Bryce Canyon that includes a motorcycle. You pretty much have to get off the bike and look over the edge. On the other hand, the view over the edge is pretty amazing.
163bbf92294e16b1344b3822fe78d98c.jpg
b9f541f2ebb3bb9f5fa722d158e54f0c.jpg


Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
 
Cormanus_imp said:
I was going to ask, 'how do you drink coffee in Chicago, MTC,' but I realised in the nick of time that the answer would be something like, 'with my mouth' or 'from a mug' or some such. The question is really, 'how do you make coffee in Chicago, MTC? Percolator, Espresso, Filter, other?'

The trouble with definition games with an international audience is the variants of modern English. In this case, happily, both UK and US dictionaries agree that a vista is "a distant view through or along an avenue or opening" (Merriam-Webster); "A long, narrow view as between rows of trees or buildings, especially one closed by a building or other structure" (Oxford). Both also give it a meaning around mental events, "an extensive mental view (as over a stretch of time or a series of events)" (Merriam-Webster); "A mental view of a succession of remembered or anticipated events" (Oxford).

Oxford also offers the following broad definition, "A pleasing view".

The specific definitions make me think "Distant Vista" does contain a redundancy. On the broad, Oxford, definition, Flyn's picture is a vista; using the specific Merriam-Webster, Oxford definitions, it isn't a vista at all; rather, a panorama or a landscape or even a view.

Dunno, really. Vista works for me.
Microsoft Vista seems pretty distant to me. :)
 
Thread starter
Every manner of coffee brewing is available here. Today, it was drip brewed, but the cafe I was at today also does pour-overs which I get when I have time. I usually have a very small amount of cream in my coffee, but not always and I do so to add texture more than flavor. On weekends, a shot of Kahlua or Drambuie sneaks its way into my cup.

We now return you to “Distant Vistas”, the continuing saga of the Honda CB1100 and the lengths to which their riders will go to capture photographs of it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top