SCCBrider_imp
Running like a top
Way back in the day we use to be able to climb it. I was about 6 years old the first time I ever saw it. I made my way up one of those large limbs to where it met the trunk of the tree. I didn't go any higher for two reasons. First I couldn't reach anything to grab, second, I was scared. Now a days I think most parents would freak out about letting their kids of that age climb a tree like that, but that was also back in the day when I went half way across the country on the back dash of my dad's Buick. It's a beautiful tree, the oldest living live oak east of the Mississippi. So they say.
misterprofessionality_imp said:Charleston is a place known for history, food, water, and especially Trees. That's why i was pretty happy to find out what the challenge was this month. This is the one thing I can't fail at! So, I took the CB down to visit the Angel Oak
![]()
![]()
![]()
it's a fairly ancient tree, as the link i provided suggests. One of the oldest in North America in fact. if you've ever been impressed by anything in nature, you can't help but feel like you're in kind of a holy place when you visit this tree. This thing was old when the USA was born. It's really marvelous.
There's also a grainy video of a walkthrough around the tree, to give you some idea of scale.
