CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was pretty low on energy on the way to work today, so I stopped a Dunkin and grabbed something to eat and one last cup of coffee to get me through the morning.

Since I promised GO and I’ll be gone for a while, here’s a maple bar. On the hood of a Ford instead of the seat of my CB, it will have to do.
 
Sorry, but best I could do for a while… and by the time I see my CB again, it will be August.
 
spechg_imp said:
Before we leave the topic for the June Photo Challenge (impressively blitzed by Gone in 60), here's why I chose that topic:

In 2005 my wife and I were on holidays in California passing through the small town of Santa Paula en route to the Mojave desert. They appeared to be having some sort of festival so we decided to stop for some lunch. When we walked up to the main street we could see an impressive parade with floats and cheerleaders was about to get underway. I worked my way through the crowd of spectators to quickly snap this photo in front of a float. As I was taking the photo someone tapped me on the shoulder and said "what are you doing buddy?". I explained I was just taking a quick photo before the parade started. He replied "this aint't no parade buddy, it's a film set!" Oops. Turns out it was for a film called Mr Woodstock starring Billy Bob Thornton which was released in 2007. Not his finest work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
spechg_imp said:
Before we leave the topic for the June Photo Challenge (impressively blitzed by Gone in 60), here's why I chose that topic:

In 2005 my wife and I were on holidays in California passing through the small town of Santa Paula en route to the Mojave desert. They appeared to be having some sort of festival so we decided to stop for some lunch. When we walked up to the main street we could see an impressive parade with floats and cheerleaders was about to get underway. I worked my way through the crowd of spectators to quickly snap this photo in front of a float. As I was taking the photo someone tapped me on the shoulder and said "what are you doing buddy?". I explained I was just taking a quick photo before the parade started. He replied "this aint't no parade buddy, it's a film set!" Oops. Turns out it was for a film called Mr Woodstock starring Billy Bob Thornton which was released in 2007. Not his finest work!

Scrolling through to catch up on these posts and immediately recognized my downtown Santa Paula! We have a ton of filming for movies/tv and commercials here. Joe Dirt, Leave it to Beaver, Carrie (the gym from the prom scene is at my high school but tragically burned to the ground a few months ago), the Mayans just rented out a friend's house for a scene, and a bunch of other stuff. I can't tell you how many times I've been caught in surprise movie set traffic or parades like that^^. It's a cool little town with arguably the best weather in the area.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gone in 60_imp said:
That is a cool story. I pass through Santa Paula on the way home from Ojai every now and then. Has a neat old town vibe that would be perfect for a parade scene.

Steve McQueen retired to Santa Paula near the small airport there. I’ve tried to find his place but the closest I’ve gotten is the mailbox at the bottom of the road leading to it.

In high school, this girl I knew lived in his old house. I used to go there often. I also worked at the golf course that was across from his place and I hear he was a constant presence there back in the day.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
One of my coworkers kindly let me come take pictures with his old cars. He’s a tremendous fabricator and former amateur race driver, but maybe not the best at staging photos.

The best thing he has was this beautiful 1967 Chevelle, which he’s had since the 80s. That has a 350 small block taken out of one of his race cars. Bonus was a 1971 CB350 and a Honda Trail 70 of unknown vintage, which now has a two-stroke 110.

e5c83eb053acbd96e948af6b478954a1.jpg
 
Beautiful car..just the right era for my appreciation having graduated in 1968. The Mustangs, Chevelles, Camaro's, 442's, Barricudas, Judges all very cool
 
Thread starter
GoldOxide_imp said:
Mmm, yeah.

I can almost see the "Christine" in the beast. ('58 Plymouth Fury)
The dual hooded headlights are similar for sure. I’ve always wanted a Ranchero or El Camino, though, so I was happy to come upon this one on our way to breakfast.
 
Was out for a ride and when I was heading into town I spotted this 1929 Model A. Recognized it right away as my old AYSO soccer coach turned lifelong friend Steve. I followed him for a bit and when he noticed me, we pulled over and chatted for over an hour about cars, cameras, and motorcycles. Was able to snap a few pics and I dug this one. So here's my submission!

2eb3f003d40b4dd6d1f03029def05a5a.jpeg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Very nice Mikeymike 88. The black and white treatment is great!
 
EmptySea_imp said:
GoldOxide_imp said:
Mmm, yeah.

I can almost see the "Christine" in the beast. ('58 Plymouth Fury)
The dual hooded headlights are similar for sure. I’ve always wanted a Ranchero or El Camino, though, so I was happy to come upon this one on our way to breakfast.
The dual hooded headlights are similar for sure. I’ve always wanted a Ranchero or El Camino, though, so I was happy to come upon this one on our way to breakfast. I have always been a big fan of the mid-fifties cars. I had a '57 Plymouth Fury, which was Chrysler's pathetic answer to the Thunderbird/Corvette. From '55 - '58 the Fury was a two door only in white (light tan for '58) with a gold stripe on the side and a big engine with dual four-barrel carbs. I loved mine. It was a real chick-magnet. Chevys could blow it off the road, but it was still fun. I know "Christine" probably had to be painted red because it had the soul of the devil, but it wasn't a Fury anymore after it was red, in my book.
I love the '57 Ford and the '58s were the first year of the dual headlights, with one set regular and one bright. I thought the dual headlights ruined the look, but that's just me. Of course, the '58 Thunderbird was a disaster and was no longer a Thunderbird, I don't care what badge it wore. Love those '57-'58 Rancheros though. Great picture, EmptySea.
mikeymike88_imp said:
Was out for a ride and when I was heading into town I spotted this 1929 Model A. Recognized it right away as my old AYSO soccer coach turned lifelong friend Steve. I followed him for a bit and when he noticed me, we pulled over and chatted for over an hour about cars, cameras, and motorcycles. Was able to snap a few pics and I dug this one. So here's my submission!

2eb3f003d40b4dd6d1f03029def05a5a.jpeg



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great picture and a winner in my book. Good treatment with the black and white.
 
Thread starter
When I was a kid, I thought most of the late 50s early 60s Chryslers were weird looking. Now I think they’re cool in their weirdness.
 
EmptySea_imp said:
When I was a kid, I thought most of the late 50s early 60s Chryslers were weird looking. Now I think they’re cool in their weirdness.
Exactly! In 1959 all of Detroit decided the best way to sell more cars was to make them look like something out of a science-fiction outer-space movie, with huge fins, jet intakes, lots of chrome and spinners on the hubcaps. They were just learning how to make good wheels, so hubcaps were still required to do the job of dressing up the wheels. By 1963 that had pretty much run it's course and then the Mustang and a few others came along and helped restore a small bit of sanity to the industry again. Mopar got into some pretty good racing engines and cars in the early sixties and did real well until everyone else caught up and blew past them again in the early seventies.
That's what happens when you let the bean-counters and guys in plaid suits and white shoes (Herb Tarlek) run the car company.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top