Cb1100 in the hospital, full diagnosis pending

misterprofessionality

Road warrior
Thread starter
Well it happened. In my mid 60k miles my CB has finally suffered a genuine mechanical fault related only to age and not as a result of my own mistreatment/modification (lol).

During my last trip I noticed significant hesitation and power loss at wide throttle openings and decided to take it to the shop when I got back. The mechanic I found is known for good diagnostic work, so no crappy dealers this time. He found the fuel pump to have gone bad and replaced it, only to find that there's a more pervasive electrical problem that seems to have hastened the demise of the fuel pump. He's replacing a couple relays and may replace the stater. Full report pending completion of the work.

I didn't know how long my boy would go without experiencing it's first true mechanical fault but here we are. A question for the forum: what was your first real mechanical fault ? I'm talking about the bike itself going wrong, not something that stems from an accident or bad work being done or wear parts needing to be replaced or anything like that. Something where the fault lies with the bike itself .it's pretty rare with this bike.
 
That has to be an outlier. Quite a few of us have more miles than that a couple over 100K and yours is the first problem of that nature that I have heard of.
 
At 109K kms absolutely nothing wrong… knocking on the wood

Q: how we went from a fuel pump to a stator motor and a few relays, and which ones.. just trade curiosity.
:beerchug:
 
If you count the run-away idle, idle instability, problem, I had around 4500miles, at nine years of age, on mine. For me it meant replacing my ECU (after I replaced the IACV with no improvement) at my expense.
I count that as a genuine mechanical fault, even though it was electronic. It was not caused by an accident or any changes on my part. It is different than what you are asking in that it was caused not by wear and age, but a faulty original piece of equipment.
I hope your bike is up and giving you more miles of smiles real soon.
:biker:
 
Thread starter
It is a new one, that's for sure ferret. I never saw a post in all my years on this forum about an issue like this.

To answer P B: I don't know which relays exactly because I don't fully understand motorcycle electricals. The way the mechanic explained it is the unstable voltage is causing the fuel pump to fail to deliver the correct amount of fuel, especially at higher rpm, and generally cause the fuel pump to work harder than it had to, which accelerated wear on it. It may also have been responsible for the frequent signal bulb and headlight and tail light blowouts I've been experiencing over the last couple years.
 
Wow, that has to be a rarity for a CB1100. But, no machine is perfect, not even Hondas. But, sounds like yours is on the mend, and hopefully you'll be Riding Red again soon. But, you've got green....
 
Sounds like the CB's electrical system regulation should be under scrutiny based on your past experiences, Mr. P.

Bulb failure is independent of any mechanical-based relays.
 
Wondering how Mr. P is coping with losing his bike to a dealership for this long.

I'm having a hard enough time dealing with a wonky speedo on my Enfield, and am relentlessly hitting the refresh button on tracking for my new cable.
And I can still ride the bike just fine without it.
 
... that and those cage head-banging on the L.A. freeway commute must be taking its toll on ya, Gone.


That wonky speedo thing would bugger my crotch a bit too.
 
No head banging here! All three bikes are fine. Just one won't tell me how fast I'm going. :)
 
Thread starter
you don't need to worry about how fast you're goin on an enfield...it's incapable of getting you into any real trouble :rofl:

but seriously, i'm not letting a stealership touch my CB ever again! too many bad experiences.....they seem to be allergic to real diagnostic work. So i didn't take it to a dealer, I took it to a local mechanic that specializes in japanese bikes. He was actually pretty excited to dig into mine, and he's known for thorough diagnostic work.

It's been in hospital for about 3 weeks at this point, during which time i've been riding my trusty CT125 to work every day. What a capable bike. talk about not needing your speedo though...:biker:
 
Hey, at least you have another pair of wheels to get you around.
It's not so much losing the speedo on the Enfield... it's losing the odometer. I know to refuel around 150 miles.

Not that I don't trust the super-accurate fuel gauge. :rofl:
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
you don't need to worry about how fast you're goin on an enfield...it's incapable of getting you into any real trouble :rofl:

but seriously, i'm not letting a stealership touch my CB ever again! too many bad experiences.....they seem to be allergic to real diagnostic work. So i didn't take it to a dealer, I took it to a local mechanic that specializes in japanese bikes. He was actually pretty excited to dig into mine, and he's known for thorough diagnostic work.

It's been in hospital for about 3 weeks at this point, during which time i've been riding my trusty CT125 to work every day. What a capable bike. talk about not needing your speedo though...:biker:
... and any concrete diags yet...or is being tested after pre-diags and repair???
 
misterprofessionality_imp said:
Well it happened. In my mid 60k miles my CB has finally suffered a genuine mechanical fault related only to age and not as a result of my own mistreatment/modification (lol).

During my last trip I noticed significant hesitation and power loss at wide throttle openings and decided to take it to the shop when I got back. The mechanic I found is known for good diagnostic work, so no crappy dealers this time. He found the fuel pump to have gone bad and replaced it, only to find that there's a more pervasive electrical problem that seems to have hastened the demise of the fuel pump. He's replacing a couple relays and may replace the stater. Full report pending completion of the work.

I didn't know how long my boy would go without experiencing it's first true mechanical fault but here we are. A question for the forum: what was your first real mechanical fault ? I'm talking about the bike itself going wrong, not something that stems from an accident or bad work being done or wear parts needing to be replaced or anything like that. Something where the fault lies with the bike itself .it's pretty rare with this bike.

I haven't read any further than this yet...but had to respond...

The first sentence does not match the next paragraph.

The guy doesn't know what he is doing...and is wasting your money and time.

Now I'll go read the rest of the thread and see what anyone else responded...
peterbaron_imp said:
At 109K kms absolutely nothing wrong… knocking on the wood

Q: how we went from a fuel pump to a stator motor and a few relays, and which ones.. just trade curiosity.
:beerchug:

Correct. Illogical.
misterprofessionality_imp said:
you don't need to worry about how fast you're goin on an enfield...it's incapable of getting you into any real trouble :rofl:

but seriously, i'm not letting a stealership touch my CB ever again! too many bad experiences.....they seem to be allergic to real diagnostic work. So i didn't take it to a dealer, I took it to a local mechanic that specializes in japanese bikes. He was actually pretty excited to dig into mine, and he's known for thorough diagnostic work.

It's been in hospital for about 3 weeks at this point, during which time i've been riding my trusty CT125 to work every day. What a capable bike. talk about not needing your speedo though...:biker:

Not based on what you've wrote so far.

He is throwing parts at it haphazardly- at your expense- with his fingers crossed behind his back.
 
Thread starter
Well, I haven't been given a reason to distrust him given that he did replace the fuel pump and the old fuel pump is most definitely malfunctioning. He's also not wrong about the electrical problem given that he showed me the irregular voltage output he was talking about. So far everything he's said has been backed up by verifiable testing and evidence. I'm inclined to believe he's doing a good job. If you're certain he's not on the right track, what do you suppose is the alternative problem? I'll bring it up to him.
 
If you still have the old pump..I'll buy it from you. I want to rig up a small plastic fuel tank hung on a pole- (like an IV bag) so I can run the bike with the stock tank off while on the dyno testing stuff.

The reason I said what I said is simple- all the parts mentioned can be tested before replacing...not just guessing based on symptoms.

It is extremely unusual and unlikely to ever have more than one part fail....and extremely common and likely for a mechanic to tell you otherwise. :P
 
Back
Top